R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSetting up trailer alone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setting up trailer alone
    Posted: 20 May 2016 at 2:28am
to hook up.... buy a pvc pipe to fit over the crank.... glue an elbow on it and then glue another pipe at length to just touch the middle of your back window....  it will help you line up.. they sell metal ones that stay on the hitch with magnets....... google hitch alignments..... https://www.bing.com/search?q=hitch%20alinements&pc=cosp&ptag=C1AE89FD93123&form=CONBDF&conlogo=CT3210127
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 5:30am
Thanks for asking the questions about single person setup. My wife and I just bought a Rpod 171. But my first trip will be solo, going to the Golden State Star Party by myself. So the answers to your questions have been most useful. Later my wife will be with me for other camping trips this summer. I hope you and your four-legged companions enjoy the trips.
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 7:44am
Originally posted by techntrek

If you don't need to drive anywhere you can leave it hitched up, which saves some aggravation.  You may find you can deal with it being somewhat out-of-level, so there will be times you can just back it in and put it in park.  This is often the case for us at truck stops.  I might crank up the tongue jack some to level it front-to-back a bit.

+1
I do this most anytime that I don't need to use the truck to run around and the campsite is close to level.

It sounds like you'll have a nice setup. I'll add, if you are not familiar with backing a trailer, you might want to find an empty parking lot to practice backing up. Again, this is something that gets easier with time/practice.
Jewel59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 8:14am
Originally posted by techntrek

If you don't need to drive anywhere you can leave it hitched up, which saves some aggravation.  You may find you can deal with it being somewhat out-of-level, so there will be times you can just back it in and put it in park.  This is often the case for us at truck stops.  I might crank up the tongue jack some to level it front-to-back a bit.

I was wondering if this would be ok...leaving it hitched?  Can you still hook to water and electricity safely?  the type of sites at shows are very level.  I'm super excited.  I pick it up on Monday.  I was supposed to get it yesterday but we had horrible rain in the area and I didn't want to start my first time on the road with it in horrible weather.  Had a huge box from Camping World arrive and another from Amazon.  I think I have all the necessities (leveling blocks, chocks, stabilizer pads and all the stuff for the inside to make it functional).

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 9:32am
It's fine to connect water and shore power while connected to the BMW. I would add only one caution. Tow vehicles are generally wired to charge the trailer battery while traveling, but electrically disconnect when the engine is off. I say generally, but stuff happens and mistakes are made. The consequences are possible discharge of the BMW battery if shore power is not used. This can really ruin your morning. It's worth checking out. There are ways to check using a voltmeter, and even a way to check without a meter if you don't mind disconnecting the trailer battery. Let me know and I can talk you through it. Have fun and enjoy your camper and dogs Smile .

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
pnwcamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 9:59am
I have a back up camera which makes it much easier. With a little practice you wont have any problem, just go slow and easy when backing up. Unhooking is easy.
2014 R-Pod 177
2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4.0 V6
David D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 11:03am
As was mentioned earlier, backing up might be the toughest when on your own.  In cases like this, I've adopted a method which is tedious but works.... back up the trailer a few feet, get out of truck walk to back to study progress, get back in truck, and repeat process over and over until your good.  I actually learned this the hard way.... backed up into a tree once... embarassing!  ;-)   And, if you have to unhitch and still need to move your trailer, another item which has been super helpful is the Trailer Valet.  I absolutely love this product.  https://www.trailervalet.com/5x
2015 R-Pod 179
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 11:13am
You might want to consider getting an electric jack in place of the hand one on the trailer.  As I get older I find this to be a nice, not too costly, up grade.  Makes it much easier to get on and off the ball.
The Pirate's Pod
TheLoneRanger View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 10:10pm
To help line up the trailer to the tow vehicle I purchased this $10.00 solution from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=trailer+alignment

The 1st time I tried it I still had to get out and check it was aligned a couple of times. However, I am sure after some practice I will be able to get it aligned correctly the 1st time.

ChetC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 9:37pm
As someone who hitches and unhitches a lot, I have one helpful tidbit of advice.  Go to your local hardware store and purchase a cordless "driver" gun.  Looks just like a cordless drill, but if designed to drive screws, bolts, etc...  With that, get a socket adapter (it may come with one) and a 19mm socket to fit.  Use this driver to run your stabilizer jacks up and down.  Much faster and easier.

The only time I don't use the driver for the jacks is if I arrive at a campground late or leave early.  They are a touch loud and I don't like to disturb my neighbors.  Smile
Former 2017 rPod 180 owner
Now in a 2019 Little Guy MAX
Full timer who logs more than 35,000 miles per year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>