R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSetting up trailer alone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AZ Hiker View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setting up trailer alone
    Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 3:07pm
Hi Jewel59!  You will do great!  I am 51 and just purchased a 177 and immediately went for a 2 week adventure with my dog from AZ to Teton National Park.  First time towing an RV.  Like anything else - practice is the key!  I went to a local high school and practiced backing up - I also bought a portable back up camera for the Pod.  I have a back up camera on my 2011 Jeep GC - which I tow with.  That camera helps a ton for hitching as it even has a ball "line" for exact alignment.  However - you do need to make sure the trailer tongue height is correct first - and if the sun hits your car rear cameras - the glare can make them useless.  I found that the folks in the RV parks were super helpful - especially as a solo woman! People are more than willing to assist you backing up / hitching / or general advice.

One mistake I made was with leveling the Pod and unhitching.  I leveled the low side tire on some of the plastic lego leveling blocks - all good!  But could not figure out how to chock that tire since it was on blocks.  So I figured I was ok since the other tire was chocked.   I also put my slide out before unhitching  - for some dumb reason.  So when I unhitched from my Jeep the Pod was ok for a few seconds - but then fell sideways off my tongue jack blocks.  The jack was in the dirt and since I did not have a "foot" on the jack at the time - I was toast.  Luckily a super nice guy came by and helped me picked the Pod back up hitched back on the Jeep.  I felt really stupid - but its part of the learning - and luckily I did not get hurt nor did my Jeep!  So lesson learned!  Have both wheels chocked on all sides and get everything level and un-hithced before putting slide out!

I left my Jeep hitched to the POD a lot at night.  Maybe because of my experience above and I was afraid the POD would slide off again - but I found the POD super stable hitched up - and I slept much better!!

Also - have good checklists and go thru them every time methodically. It will become habit eventually.  Practice and Have confidence.  You will do fine.

Enjoy!!
R Pod 177
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
1 Awesome Therapy Dog
MDPaddlersPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 11:18am
I always hook-up solo. I have found from hauling my cargo trailer through the years that the telescopic yellow balls with a magnetic base work well for me. They are cheap (around ten dollars) and easy to find at either Harbor Freight or Walmart in the trailer sections.
MDPaddlersPod
2017 RPod 179
2002 Silverado1500
Netter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 11:06am
You'll be fine! I'm 48 with back issues and I can do it with no problem. After a few times you will get into a habit of what to do in what order. Pod on!!
The Therapod
North Alabama
2014 178
2013 F-150
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 10:22pm
A lot of the new cars come with a backup camera. We got one with our 2016 Ford Escape SE. It has been extremely valuable. I had often thought of adding a camera. Now that I have one, I would not want to be without it. I thought about the yellow balls, but with the camera, I don't need them.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by ChetC

As someone who hitches and unhitches a lot, I have one helpful tidbit of advice.  Go to your local hardware store and purchase a cordless "driver" gun.  Looks just like a cordless drill, but if designed to drive screws, bolts, etc...  With that, get a socket adapter (it may come with one) and a 19mm socket to fit.  Use this driver to run your stabilizer jacks up and down.  Much faster and easier.

The only time I don't use the driver for the jacks is if I arrive at a campground late or leave early.  They are a touch loud and I don't like to disturb my neighbors.  Smile

I still have to get out and look but the yellow balls help me get close.  Lots cheaper than the TV camera.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 3:51pm
It's like backing the trailer up..............practiceThumbs Up
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
MDPaddlersPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 3:40pm
The R dome is a little painful the first time or two. I have only set mine up three times and on the third time I cut my time in half and found it pretty easy. Don't let it frustrate you the first time.
MDPaddlersPod
2017 RPod 179
2002 Silverado1500
ChetC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 9:37pm
As someone who hitches and unhitches a lot, I have one helpful tidbit of advice.  Go to your local hardware store and purchase a cordless "driver" gun.  Looks just like a cordless drill, but if designed to drive screws, bolts, etc...  With that, get a socket adapter (it may come with one) and a 19mm socket to fit.  Use this driver to run your stabilizer jacks up and down.  Much faster and easier.

The only time I don't use the driver for the jacks is if I arrive at a campground late or leave early.  They are a touch loud and I don't like to disturb my neighbors.  Smile
Former 2017 rPod 180 owner
Now in a 2019 Little Guy MAX
Full timer who logs more than 35,000 miles per year.
TheLoneRanger View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 10:10pm
To help line up the trailer to the tow vehicle I purchased this $10.00 solution from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=trailer+alignment

The 1st time I tried it I still had to get out and check it was aligned a couple of times. However, I am sure after some practice I will be able to get it aligned correctly the 1st time.

Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 11:13am
You might want to consider getting an electric jack in place of the hand one on the trailer.  As I get older I find this to be a nice, not too costly, up grade.  Makes it much easier to get on and off the ball.
The Pirate's Pod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>