FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPocahontas Va State Park

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pocahontas Va State Park
    Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 10:31pm
Has anyone visited Pocahontas State Park in Virginia?  If so, do you have any comments on the park's trails, accomadations and the campground?  Depending on the weather next weekend, I am thinking that I am not ready to retire the R-pod  for the winter.    This whole thing has become a bit addicting. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 8:52pm
Well, I guess since it is supposed to be in the 60's this weekend, it is a camping, we will go.   Probably last time for this year, so I hate to miss out.   We need more Virginia podders.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 8:40am
Hi Brin
Looks like this rain will let up for you by the weekend.
I have been trying to get in touch with a camping buddy who lives in Richmond. I thought she had camped there recently but it was Westmoreland. She said Westmoreland was really nice, large wooded spaces and quiet. Her only coment on Pocahontas was that it was popular. Don't know if she meant that in a good way or a bad way.
What part of Virginia do you live in?
We live about 40 miles north of Charrlottesville.
Hope you have a great camping weekend  Smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 9:17pm
We live in Prince William County near Woodbridge, Va.  I thought that Pocahontas park looked good for the hiking and since I have to be back in my area by 10 am on Monday, I hoped that it would be close enough.  The weather is causing us some trouble though and we may have to cancel.  I got an email today saying that the park does not have electricity  and they do no know when it will be back on.  They are low priority--understandably so.   If it weren't chilly at night and getting dark so early, I wouldn't really care but right now, I want to be warm.  I am thinking of looking to see if  there is someplace else within 2 hours of home that is close to good hiking.  I may look at private campgrounds near Front Royal and go hiking on the north section of Skyline Drive.  I just liked the look of the privacy in the state parks more than in the private ones.  But I figure by going a little more west, that the weather may be better by Saturday am.    If I didn't need to get back early on Monday, I would have more options. 
Rain, rain, go away. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 9:10pm
Today is Saturday and I hope you were able to go "podding"  Smile .
Westmoreland State Park is not too far from you and worth checking out if you get a chance.
The only private campground we have camped in was a KOA in Staunton and they had us packed in like sardines.
We stick with the Army Corps Of Engineers, National Parks and National Forests if we can.
You have got to give Sherando Lake in George Washington National Forest a go.
We camp there every chance we can.
Hope you had a good wekend!

Post Reply Post Reply