R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTraded our 2016 Rpod 179 after 1 weekend

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traded our 2016 Rpod 179 after 1 weekend
    Posted: 14 May 2016 at 12:59pm
I thought we had picked a quality built nice little trailer in our 179, but after one rather rainy 4-day weekend it just wasnt right for my wife.  The bathroom/shower was just too small for her to be able to shower in comfortable.  Another thing was the bed layout...my wife has to get up at night to use the facilities, which means when i go to bed (typically a bit later) I always had to climb over her to get into bed.  Another thing I found was that it just wasnt comfortable when having to stay inside on a rainy day.  Sure you could lay in bed all day and watch TV, but making yourself comfortable out in the dinette area just didnt work.  The Rdome was also a bit unruly to work with...it's hard to keep secured down, and if wind picks up you have a pretty big problem on your hands (I found myself up the 3rd cold morning with 15 mph winds/rains and it was just too much, had to break it down in that yuk.  The suction cup things did not stay secured to the trailer & they were banging against it all night keeping my wife up.

Best of luck to you Rpodders, they are a fun and cool looking trailer.  We got a very generous trade-in on a 2016 Forrest River Surveyor 251RKS, a "couple's trailer" which I find laid out extremely well laid out and very comfortable for a couple that has an occasional guest or two.  this trailer was about $7K more but the extra space & features are nice.  I was surprised to find a couple things the rPod had that the Surveyor didnt...All LED lights on the Rpod (the Surveyor brake lights are standard bulb...all others are LED)...rPod had Fantastic fan & Surveyor had a smaller standard fan that will not move near as much air as the Fantastic.

https://youtu.be/rKPEB2pzyxA

2016 R-Pod 179. Mods (so far): dual batteries, R-dome, Visio TV
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 1:59pm
Good luck with your new trailer. I have looked at some of the Surveyors. They have some nice set ups.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 3:05pm
Nice looking rig.  How long is that anyway?  If I have any quibble about our 177 that we have had for over 5 years, it would be the bed layout, hard to make up and if you are on the outside, keep your head down when entering/leaving because of the entertainment box above.  BUT what an improvement over tent or pop-up camping for us.  We do camp quite a bit off grid and in the off season meaning colder and wetter weather.  So no longer do we fuss with wet canvas, feel quite cozy in the pod especially when the cold weather/rain beats against it.  
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 5:35pm

I'm sorry to hear your Pod did not work out as planned. However, what you have looks nice! Surveyors are built in the same plant as the Pods so, it should be of similar quality.

When I decided to trade my RP173, my decision came down to a Surveyor or the Coleman (that I still have). The two were nearly identical. The deciding factor to me came down to the location of the respective dealers. Surveyors are OK in my book.

Please feel free to stick around here and let us know how things are going.

PS - There is a fan upgrade/swap that can be done...if/when you are interested.
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 7:17am
Your constructive criticism of the RPod is very similar to ours, and the FR Surveyor is exactly the model we would trade up to.  (The 240RBS, to be specific.)  One other possibility would be the Spree Connect with a similar floor plan and an outside kitchen, although I do not know if the quality is comparable.

Having said all that, we will most likely keep our 177.  The main reason for having jumped into travel trailer camping is so that we may escape our 7-day-a-week responsibilities for a few days at a time.  The 177 and the RDome, which I don't find problematic, make a wonderful home for three or four days at a stretch.

Best of luck with the Surveyor.  If not a 'Pod, then a Surveyor for me!
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Living4Christ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by jato

Nice looking rig.  How long is that anyway?  If I have any quibble about our 177 that we have had for over 5 years, it would be the bed layout, hard to make up and if you are on the outside, keep your head down when entering/leaving because of the entertainment box above.  BUT what an improvement over tent or pop-up camping for us.  We do camp quite a bit off grid and in the off season meaning colder and wetter weather.  So no longer do we fuss with wet canvas, feel quite cozy in the pod especially when the cold weather/rain beats against it.  

Forest River shows the Surveyor 251RKS is 29.6' long.  I echo a lot of what you say!!  My son was an Eagle Scout & I served as Scoutmaster for two years, so I have spent countless nights tent camping, Winter camping, etc, etc...so the RPod was like sleeping in luxury to me.   It sure kept us dry on this one & only wet weekend.  Best of luck!!
Living4Christ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by David

Thanks...and what can you tell me about doing this swap? Is it a direct swap or will I need to cut the roof & reseal things?  VERY interested in doing this and putting in a backup camera (the Surveyor has a factory mount for one in back).
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 9:13pm
As David said, you are welcome to stay.

If you want to change out those tail lights you can buy the replacement LEDs online.  I changed out all of the lights on my 2008 (about 39 fixtures in and out).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Living4Christ

Originally posted by David

Thanks...and what can you tell me about doing this swap? Is it a direct swap or will I need to cut the roof & reseal things?  VERY interested in doing this and putting in a backup camera (the Surveyor has a factory mount for one in back).

Here is what I bought:

Vortex Fan

There is a 3 speed model, for a few more dollars. It took me about 1/2 hour to swap out the OEM fan with the Vortex. All the work is done INSIDE of the camper - nothing on the roof is disturbed. I've had this in for a few seasons and been very pleased. It moves a lot of air and is much more quiet than the OEM fan. It's an easy swap, if you are at all handy.

If you install a vent cover outside, I recommend getting one made for the high volume fans. I have the MAXX-AIR 2.

You'll find a picture of mine here:

fan picture
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 2:45pm
My wife and I use the bed and dinette as separate beds so that we don't disturb each other in the night. An air mattress on the dinette "bed" works really well and stows easily during the day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>