R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOutside Shower Dishwashing Station

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outside Shower Dishwashing Station
    Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:12pm
Has anyone modified the outdoor shower for washing dishes. We have an 178 with external shower which would provide an excellent place for washing pots and pans and such without making a mess in the trailer.

Since the shower has hot and cold water the only thing I think I'd need is a longer hose and perhaps a nozzle that is more suited to dishwashing than showering.

We carry a table and dish drying rack so this looks like a great mod.

Anyone done anything like this?
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 3:12pm
Depending on where you are camping, you will need to collect your grey water and dispose at dump site. Many campgrounds have very strict rules about grey water. Best to check first.

Fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 7:31pm
Yes Sir, it is against the law to dispense grey water on the ground at a camp site in a state park in the State of Texas. Just think if everybody did it? All of the camp ground would be one big smelly mud hole. 

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 8:00pm
Dead yuk!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 6:21am
I had the very same idea, (it's brilliant!), but then almost immediately realized the gray water implications.  Now I'm pondering a return line from the dishwashing sink to the gray water holding tank.  Since the logical location for an outdoor shower box for our 177, (no factory o/s shower), is on the slide-out wall beneath the kitchen window, both supply lines and the sink drain should be readily accessible.  I haven't gone any further than thinking about it so I do not yet know if everything will flow down hill.
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 7:23am
I'm not suggesting all dish washing outside.  Just the big things like a Clam pot that are way too big for the sink and likely to make a mess of the pod interior when washing.

I'd rather have that mess on the outside, not the inside.

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Don Halas

I'm not suggesting all dish washing outside.  Just the big things like a Clam pot that are way too big for the sink and likely to make a mess of the pod interior when washing.

I'd rather have that mess on the outside, not the inside.

And some campgrounds insist that you haul that mess off with you when you go (in your grey water tank).

It's not a question of what you wash, it's a question of what you do with the waste water.  There are places where you can get away with dumping it on the ground, although it may not be a great idea even in those places.  There are other places where it is simply not allowed.  I don't know how much trouble you'd be in if you got caught, but you wouldn't win a lot of friends among the other campers.

There are usually wash areas in or around the restrooms in those campgrounds that don't allow dumping of grey water on the ground.  Use their water -- it has lots of pressure and it doesn't deplete your tank.

For what it's worth, the no grey water rule technically applies to using the outside shower as a shower too.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 5:53pm
I always wash my dishes outside. I just find the inside sink is too small. I have two tubs, one for suds and one for rinsing. I fill them inside and bring them out. Nearly every campground I have been in the Northwest has waste water dumps (kind of a 3 ft. high volcano shaped drain) every fourth or fifth campsite. I never just dump it in the site. I guess if there wasn't a waste water dump I would just dump into my grey water tank. But I like to avoid it if possible.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
edjco View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 7:26am
Thats how we do our dishes. We set up a table there and place two of the grey bus boy "haul" tubs that you buy at restaurant supply places. Hot soapy water in one and rinse in the other. The existing showerhead works fine for this. We dump the dish water somewhere out of the way and have never had an issue with it. There is a certain size haul that just barely fits in the cabinet of the 179. We stack one in the other and store them in the cabinet.
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 8:35am
We have tent camped for many years and only recently upgraded to the Pod.  Part of the desire to do this is that recently two of the campgrounds we've been to don't have a dish washing station.  In fact I'm finding RV parks less desirable than traditional camp grounds for us.

If a park has a no gray water policy, I guess that would totally negate the shower for any use, including its intended use.  We normally try and remove most waste from dishes and pots and pans with paper towels before washing so there is normally only soapy water waste.  Soapy water that I don't want splashed on interior cabinets and all over the Pod floor.

I appreciate the heads up, but I still believe there's an alternate use of the outside shower for cleaning up large cookware.  Anyone offended by that would probably be better suited staying at a Marriott.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>