R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDeep cycle batteries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deep cycle batteries
    Posted: 11 May 2016 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

I am afraid that I killed my dealer-provided deep cycle/marine battery by using it instead of shore power. I put the cables on with the wrong polarity and the fuses blew without me knowing it. That night the trailer lights suddenly became very dim.

If I follow your explanation your battery is probably OK. The reverse polarity fuses are there to protect the converter and they've done their job. You ran the battery down once, which decreased its life, but not killed it. Replace the fuses and let it recharge from the converter for 24 hours and try it again. After disconnecting shore power and letting the battery sit for several hours with no load on it, the voltage should be 12.6-12.7. If so it's probably OK. Repeated discharges or prolonged discharged periods will decrease battery life, but once is not the end. That said, we all recommend dual 6V golfers if you plan to do any off grid camping. It's not at all complicated.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 9:39am
My sincere 'thank you' for all of the responses. I frankly admit that I panicked at our imminent trip to Yellowstone in May with no battery. 

Being a Klutz (After all, I did misconnect the battery) the thought of the complexity of 2 batteries is daunting. Not the first connection, but repeated connections/disconnections with the trailer, trickle charger, etc. A group 27 battery might be a good first step to improved dry camping for me.

We're off the day after tomorrow for 3 weeks, again, thanks to all the responses.
Kantuckid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 1:18pm
One of the biggest favors you can do for your battery(I'd buy the biggest deep cycle 12v Walmart sells) is to buy one of the better battery tenders. As a motorcycle rider this is a common topic that comes up when storing them. There are several brands but don't make assumptions based on whats familiar. I ruined a pricey trolling motor via a Sears DieHard tender several years back after it cooked my new battery! I use CTEK and Battery Tender for my cycles and farm tractor=bunches of them. There a few others that are also good. Avoid cheapo stuff from Walmart or any other bargain brands, like Harbor Freight-batteries are too expensive to overcharge! You need a smart charging type tender!!!
It's easy to hook up two 12v batteries-google is your friend and all you need is a some heavy cables from a salvage yard (the friendly kind that allows stuff they never sell to go cheap) You'll need to solder or crimp heavy terminal ends after cutting to length for wiring set-up.
Plantguy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 8:35pm
Do you have a duel battery box for the 2batteries? If you do, where did you get it?
Thanks,
Ken
Life is too important to be taken seriously!i
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 8:05am
This has some good information about marine batteries:
Essentially, what you are looking for is a deep cycle battery, regardless whether it is labeled marine or not. For that, you would need to look at the rating, specifically, the 20 hour rating.
This site has a lot of information about batteries. It is worth the time it takes to wade through it. It will answer a lot of questions (and probably provoke a few more).

My take is that LiFePO4 batteries, while expensive are not as bad a deal as they used to be since the price has come down. Up front they are more expensive than flooded, AGM, or Gel batteries and require other modifications such as replacing the converter and possibly adding a DC to DC charger for charging while towing if a lot of time is going to be spent on the road. However, their 3,000+ charge/discharge cycles mean they should last for many years in use. That is what I did. You can see it in my mods.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 2:21pm
Ask for a trolling motor (deep-cycle) battery.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12