R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOuter side Seams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outer side Seams
    Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 7:51pm
Great workmanship Fred.  FR will probably be calling you and seeing if you will go to work for them.  So far our 177, built in January 2011 still looks great and am in probable agreement with you that it may very well be a year/assembly line issue.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
podenvy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 5:18pm
We had a different issue on our 2015 179: the front outer shell started buckling in the middle. Our dealer said this was a manufacturing defect and arranged for the trailer to be brought to the FR factory in Oregon last October 2016.

When the trailer returned a few weeks ago (March 2017), we had the same exact issue as the OP: the shell pulled away from the left side resulting in a huge gap that's letting in water. We refused to take possession of it in this condition. Dealer said they put the shell on too tight. Now the dealer is going to try to fix it with permission from Forest River instead of at the factory. I'm absolutely petrified about what this "fix" will entail.

Not only that, but the cable/sat exterior outlets were ripped off the exterior either in return transit or at the factory, and the dealer said we'd have to pay to replace it! If your RPOD is going to the factory for warranty work, take pictures of everything including items not going for repair.

I'm so upset about this shoddy warranty work done at the Oregon factory. How can anyone say FR will fix it when something comes back in worse condition?!

EDIT: here's a picture - http://imgur.com/wUVfny6

2013 FJ Cruiser + 2015 rpod 179 HRE
Jpntime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 10:16pm
 Wow that's unbelievable then the dealer will fix it and it'll probably hold for a few months and then after that it'll probably come apart again after warranty  expires of course 
Love to camp
2014 171
birderdiane526 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:50am
Not only FR, but where has quality control & pride in your product gone? We are fortunate to have had only minor issues with our 179. We hope everything gets resolved to your satisfaction. Oh, I am a strong proponent of letting FR know about your issues. Even though the pod had been at the factory, the higher-ups need to know what you are going through.
Diane and Michael
2016 179 "PIP" (PODDING IN PARADISE)
2007 Toyota Tundra
BLOG:Podding in Paradise,
birderdiane526.blogspot.com
podenvy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 1:39pm
Update: the dealer fixed the issue locally versus sending it back to FR for a second time. I don't know how you're supposed to take a piece of material and make it 1/2" wider so it's flush, but I'm curious to find out!
Funky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 5:52pm
Update on my 2017 rpod / r pod 180 side seam separation:

I ended up doing the repair myself. Fortunately, as I mentioned previously, I noticed the problem and was able to glob on some temporary sealant prior to any water damage occurring. This meant the fix was not rocket science nor did it require a major disassembly of the camper (at least not in my opinion it didn't). Initially, I tried to go to the Forrest River dealer to get it repaired. But, I was only 6 weeks from the end of my warranty and the dealer had at least a three month backlog due to being " short handed". Because this warranty problem and because the other warranty problems on my list of needed repairs were not rocket science, I just went ahead and did all of the work myself. My work (none of it, including the work on the side seam), I'm sure, doesn't look as professional as what the dealership would have done. But, it is adequate.

On a side note, I didn't find the twelve month warranty to be very useful. It's really, due to the logistics of returning to a dealer as well as fitting into a dealer's busy busy schedule, more like a six month warranty. If one waits beyond the first six months to get the warranty work performed, one runs the risk of bumping into personal logistical and dealer scheduling issues which might result in one's warranty expiring before the work can be performed. In my specific case (and this is something I don't believe I've before mentioned on this forum), I've got the time, tools, and ability to perform many types of repairs. Although I would not attempt to remove and rebuild the entire side wall of a RV. Many of the other types of typical repairs (mine, for example, included leaky plumbing, unattached wood trim pieces, a broken power converter, building a proper support for beneath the shower, gooping sealant next to the refrigerator in a spot missed during manufacture, resealing the roof with dicor, resealing the "seams", and let's not forget repair of the side seam separation) are done easily by me. And, because I view this as a hobby, I can appreciate the joy of getting into the details of the ongoing repairs (for me, it's more enjoyable than and preferable to spending time without my camper while it's in for repairs). Perhaps someday RV ownership will be more like car ownership (i.e. easy access to a dealer network for warranty service, short turn-around repair times, longer warranties, longer intervals between required ongoing inspections and service). But, in the meantime, we hobbyists have something to keep ourselves busy. So, maybe, for now, it's better just the way it is.
Funky
2017 R pod 180
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 8:45pm
If a warranty issue is noted by the dealer and Forest River prior to the expiration of the warranty, then the work should still be done, even if the warranty has expired when the scheduling of the repair is delayed.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podenvy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 10:53pm
I don't know how the dealer fixed it, but the huge gap is gone. It looks like they reinforced the "sagging" area with something solid yet flexible in between the cap and the frame because I can faintly see a rectangle outline of some sort. There is still a small gap there that they filled in with sealant, plus redid the caulking/sealant around the frame.

There were several significant rainstorms I worried about regarding the pod sitting at the dealer service lot, but I felt around the interior walls of the under bed storage and exterior storage, and didn't see/feel/smell any dampness. Ran the air conditioner, fan, etc. and everything is working.

I'll post some more pics so an adequate before/after comparison can be made.
Belin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 7:22pm
I have a screw missing from manufacture which caused delamination.

DenisP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 10:30am
Fred,
Thank you for the detailed description of your repair.  I just purchased a 2010 171 with the same issue.  I will begin the repair soon and your pictures and step by step details will be invaluable.  How did you obtain the matching luan, seam tape and gimp?  I am a newbie as far as TT camping but as a long time boat owner I am familiar with using epoxy and sealants.
T@b 400 with solar
Formerly 2010 171
2013 Tundra TRD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>