Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShake down cruise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shake down cruise
    Posted: 06 May 2016 at 3:30pm
Finally picked up our 178 on Tuesday.  Being inexperienced at towing a trailer I quickly found my fears were unfounded.  The trailer tows like a dream and my Grand Cherokee eco-diesel handled the mountains like they weren't even there.  My big test is still taking it over Teton Pass but coming home over Pine Creek Pass I had some grades equal to, but not as long, as Teton Pass and we went up and down the them easily.  I got the weight distribution hitch and sway bars and feel much more comfortable with them installed around here.  Most of the campgrounds around the Tetons are not open until Memorial Day but we did find a good campsite within about 15 miles from home for an overnight test.  Having fun getting used to all the features of the RPOD.  I am 6'3" and my wife is 5'10".  We were very comfortable in the RPOD with our Boxer and Beagle even tho the dogs insisted in spending the first night in the bed and I got the extra bed in the dining area.  Yesterday I parked the RPOD at the storage location and all the way home I was looking back missing my RPOD.  Did I mention it tows like a dream??  Looking forward to a summer of fun and travel in it.  I have already christened it as my mobile fishing camp.  My wife says all fish will be cooked and consumed outside.  Wonder why??  
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 3:57pm
Welcome, glad all is working out for you.
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 4:16pm
Way to go!  I've towed popups over Teton Pass, but I have yet to tow our R-pod over it.  10% grade.  Gotta love the Tetons!  And gotta love diesel Grand Cherokees (even though mine is the previous generation)!
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
Pnew40 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 4:28pm
Sounds like a great trip home.  Glad to hear you found your r pod  easy to tow.  We are very anxious to go pick our 180 up .  Hope we have as positive a trip home as you had.
Pat & Bill
Upstate New York
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 5:33pm
Sounds like a great trip!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 6:28pm
Glad to hear about the Eco-Diesel. I'm seriously considering going that route when I replace my current TV.
Tetoncamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 11:20am
I have been a Jeep Grand Cherokee fan for many years.  When I moved out to the Tetons two years ago I had a 6 cylinder Grand Cherokee and quickly realized it didn't have the muscle to tow anything around the mountains out here.  Went looking for a 8 cylinder Jeep and when the dealer initially mentioned the eco-diesel I immediately dismissed the idea.  Was still thinking of noisy, smelly diesels.  After several weeks of looking at Jeeps I was looking at on-line reviews and noticed all the positive things about the eco-diesel.  Went back to the dealer to test drive an eco-diesel and immediately fell in love with it.  When I purchased my new jeep I did up-grade to the Overland Edition and am glad I did.  It is a much more comfortable ride than the standard Grand Cherokee.  Drove it back east to visit family during the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays and it was a dream.  Going thru eastern Wyoming with a tail wind averaged about 40 mpg.  Normally get about 30 which I think is pretty good.  To make things even better the RPOD easily tows behind it.  Since the RPOD is just about as wide as the vehicle I can use the Jeep mirrors with no modifications.  Glad this was my choice.  Hope this helps in your search and decision.
P and D Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 12:04pm
Returned yesterday to Atlanta from Colorado with our 179. I towed it with a BMW X5 3.0. While it towed well it was underpowered going through the passes and returning home the TV was not quite heavy enough to deal with the constant cross winds that we experienced. The X5 will be fine for our travels around Georgia but my question is, will a heavier TV like a F250 make a significant difference when pulling with a cross wind?

P and D Podders
Dave
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 12:53pm
Yes, a larger and heavier TV  will help. A longer wheelbase will help. No, you don't have to go all the way to an F-250.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by P and D Podders

Returned yesterday to Atlanta from Colorado with our 179. I towed it with a BMW X5 3.0. While it towed well it was underpowered going through the passes and returning home the TV was not quite heavy enough to deal with the constant cross winds that we experienced. The X5 will be fine for our travels around Georgia but my question is, will a heavier TV like a F250 make a significant difference when pulling with a cross wind?

P and D Podders
Dave

I'm going to assume that you have some sort of anti-sway device.  If not, get one (either friction anti-sway bar, or a WDH with sway control).

Your X5 has a longer wheelbase and is a bit heavier than my Grand Cherokee.  I just pulled our Pod from Colorado to Kentucky and back.  Had some very strong cross winds (and snow!) in Kansas and Eastern Colorado.  I have only a friction anti-sway bar, yet I didn't feel like there was that much wiggle.  Our GC has a 3.0 diesel, which has plenty of power for the mountain passes. 

I'd recommend considering the new Grand Cherokee Eco-diesels.  But an F-150 or similar would certainly give you the wheelbase, weight and power you're looking for.
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>