Topic ClosedShake down cruise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
julieboyles View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shake down cruise
    Posted: 08 May 2016 at 9:33pm
Thanks so much, everyone. Your posts have really helped me out. This forum has really been invaluable.
Door Paddler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 2:52pm
Thanks for the suggestions Teton Camper. We have reservations at Colter Bay and also have the bear spray!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 2:43pm
Thanks for the suggestions Teton Camper. We have reservations at Colter Bay and also have the bear spray!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Tetoncamper

-1 1/8" socket, 6" extension, and ratchet to put in and remove anode rod in water tank.

At least on my Surburban SW6DE the anode is 1-1/16, not 1-1/8.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Tetoncamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 12:41pm
I will do my best to give you some insight on my limited experience.  First of all I would recommend a weight distribution hitch and sway bar.  I had the same concerns and glad I got them if for no other reason than my piece of mind.  The hitch and sway bar I purchased was about $400 or so.

Other necessities:
- a power cord is included in the RPOD so no worries there.
- do purchase a surge guard protector (about $80)
- Need an electrical adapter (around $5-10)
- Sewer hose kit (~$40).  I purchased a 15 foot sewer hose and found that only about a 10 foot hose will fit in the installed container.  Don't really know how long a hose I will need so might want to research that.)
- Water filter (~$20)
-Water regulator (~$15)
- Fresh water hose (~$20)
- Holding tank deodorizers (~$10)

Might want to haves:
- I am a big believer in first aid kits.  I build my own rather than buy them.  Let me know if you want my first aid kit inventory list.
-1 1/8" socket, 6" extension, and ratchet to put in and remove anode rod in water tank.
- pair of vise grip pliers (especially to remove fresh water tank plug)
- 8X10 foot patio mat for just outside the camper door.  Keeps a lot of dirt out.

I decided to purchase a couple of portable generators.  Need generators or shore power to run microwave and AC.  Solar panels will help to recharge the batteries but won't have the juice to run other appliances.  I plan to do a lot of camping in national forests so don't know how effective solar panels would be.  I bought two Champion 200W generators to run in parallel.  The generators and the parallel operation kit cost around $1000 but I think it was worth it.

I will let others chime in about an awning.  After a summer of camping I will look at that option.  Don't know whether to get the attachable awning for the RPOD or a separate awning.

Fees and sales tax will depend on state.  Don't forget about insurance.  Insurance for my 178 runs around $200 a year.

Hope this helps your decision process.  I may have left out a couple of things but think I caught the major ones.  Enjoy.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by julieboyles

Glad to read that your towing fears were unfounded as I, too, have this concern having never towed anything. I'm almost ready to take the leap of a new 178 as well, towed with an F150. In addition to the price I negotiate (I'm shooting for $18,500 or under), I'm wondering what other expenses will be justified:
  • Sway bar?
  • Do I have to buy a bunch of cables, tubes, hookup things, wheel blocks, that kinda stuff? Can someone tell me approximately what all of that will cost?
  • I'm guessing solar is worth it? Cost?
  • I want the R-dome or an easy-up but will test out the trailer before I make that decision, I think
  • There are a bunch of registration fees, etc, at purchase--any guess what all of that stuff adds up to?
I'm kinda into simplicity, so not looking for fancy extras, but am trying to get a realistic price on everything needed and required above the price of the trailer.

Some of these are situation dependent.
Sway bar? Yes. We tow with an Escape. The dealer installed an Equl-I-zer 4-way stabilization hitch. I would not tow without it. However, your F150 likely would not need the same setup. A sway bar is much less expensive, and would be good, especially if you get into a strong cross-wind situation.
Cables, etc? If you have the factory tow package, you may have the connectors needed to easily add an electrical brake controller. If your F150 has the 7-way (round) trailer connector, it will be simple. If it has the 4-way (flat) connector, you will need an additional part. Check out http://www.etrailer.com for more details. As for wheel blocks, you will want chocks and some way to level the trailer unless you are traveling to level sites all the time, That is unlikely, so do check out leveling and chocks. I ordered the BAL 28050 Light Trailer Leveler and the 28020 Single Axle Tire Chock, and am quite pleased with them. I tried the Andersen leveler and the Lynx levelers. The BAL leveler is more work, buit it is easier in the sense that one does not have to go through the gyrations of adjusting blocks, backing or pulling forward, moving off the blocks to adjust again and repeat. You can go cheap and get plastic chocks, but don't! They will shift and make for more shaking when you move around inside the trailer.
Solar? Are you planning on doing a lot of dry camping? If so, it might be worth it. With a pickup, you also would have room for a generator. Solar does not make noise, but some of the inverter generators are very quiet. Some places prohibit operation of them outside of specified hours though. Solar would not have that limitation, but if you get a spell of cloudy weather, you may find them to be inadequate. You can use your tow vehicle (TV) to charge the battery/batteries, but it would be under the same limitations as a generator. Cost is dependent on system manufacturer and system size/capability.
R-Dome? Up to you. I did not want to spend the money. I am in the process of building my awning. When it is done, I will post details in my mods (link below). I already built one for the slide-out. Pictures are there already for that.
Registration fees? Again, that is situation dependent. You will have the appropriate tax, title, and license fees for your state. In NC, I also had the property tax added on.

Hopefully, I've been able to answer some of your concerns.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Tetoncamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 12:22pm
The Tetons and Yellowstone are fantastic.  The bad news is that they expect about one million MORE visitors this year than last.  Signal Mountain and Colter Bay in Teton National Park have campgrounds but I don't know if they are reservation or first come first serve.  I have heard to get there earlier in the day.  Closer to Jackson is the Gros Ventre campground.  It is a nice campground along the Gros Ventre river and just outside TNP.  I expect to spend some time there this summer.  Same goes for Yellowstone.  Will be a lot of people and not familiar with campground availability.  There are a number of RV campgrounds just outside West Yellowstone that would serve as a decent base for trips into Yellowstone.  

What to avoid??  Nothing.  You are about to enter (in my humble opinion) the most beautiful places in this country.

What to do?  Bring a good camera and take lots of pictures.  Especially in Teton National Park get off the roads and do some hiking.  Taggart Lake, Jenny Lake, Colter Bay, Rockefeller center are just a couple of areas for nice hikes of 3-6 miles.  Buy and carry bear spray.  We have black and grizzly out here.  I do a lot of hiking and have only had to pull the bear spray out once so far (didn't have to use it) but the cost (about$70) is worth it.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you would like anymore info.  Enjoy the trip.
Hour Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 11:41am
We just piced up our 182g in Oregon and paid 312.50 in "other" charges like regisstration, title, etc.

Good luck.
Love'N Hour Pod
2017 Sierra Crew & 2017 182G
JJ, Erin, Alexa & Jace

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 11:17am
Hey Tetoncamper, we also purchased 178 last year. We went on several trips last year, traveling from Wisconsin to Branson, Mo and another to Ontario, CN and we had a great experience and love the 178 model. It got even better after installing a friction-bar anti-sway device. We are also traveling from Wisconsin to the Tetons this June and are looking forward to it. We tow it with a Dodge Durango with a 3.6 and a factory tow package. I'm sure it won't climb mountain passes like your eco-diesel but we will get there. It does great in the "flat-lands". Not ever having been to the Tetons / Yellowstone area (Staying at Colter Bay Village RV Park)do you have any suggestions on anything we should seek out or try to avoid?

Pnew40 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 7:38am
Did not know where you were traveling from.  Oregon is a little far from Ohio where we ate getting our 180.    Worth it for us from New York State.  Around $15,000. For the package 
Pat & Bill
Upstate New York
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>