R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-pod vs. Winnie Drop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-pod vs. Winnie Drop
    Posted: 05 May 2016 at 5:50pm
I know it's a little biased to ask on an r-pod forum, but can anyone compare and offer differences between the R-pod 177 or 178 and the new Winnie Drop. I know they're nearly identical and Forest River is supposedly suing Winnebago, but are there differences that matter? I'm a single 50-something, probably pulling with a Ford F150, have never pulled a trailer (hardly driven a truck) but am ready for this. I want the 177 or 178 so there's a bed for my adult daughter and/or her two little kiddos. I'm in Oregon (where Forest River lives, I think) so is that reason to go with the R-pod? Any help, thoughts, or opinions greatly appreciated.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 6:00pm
The drop is a copy. Literally part for part and even the letters in the name. That is why FR is suing Winnie, not supposedly. An earlier copy called the Heartland MPG was also a copy right down to the model numbers.. FR sued and won that case also.

As far as if they are any good? only time will tell. I know no one who owns one, and have never seen one in the wild. I actually understood them to be out of production already. I know of no one on the board who has had one, they have only been out a year or so.

FR does have a plant in Dallas OR that builds the west coast version of the Pod, called a Hood River Edition, or "HRE", eastern Pods are built in Goshen IN. 

Good luck in your search.
julieboyles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 6:13pm
Thanks. There must be advantages to being in Oregon and buying a Forest River trailer--yes? Doesn't that mean easier service, etc? I want to make the right decision and thought some on here may have compared the two prior to buying the r-pod. I also can't decide between 2-4 years old and a new 2016. Obviously depreciation is a factor for new, but I also value the ready service, warranty, etc. when buying new especially for someone completely inexperienced at this. Decisions, decisions.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by julieboyles

Thanks. There must be advantages to being in Oregon and buying a Forest River trailer--yes? Doesn't that mean easier service, etc? I want to make the right decision and thought some on here may have compared the two prior to buying the r-pod. I also can't decide between 2-4 years old and a new 2016. Obviously depreciation is a factor for new, but I also value the ready service, warranty, etc. when buying new especially for someone completely inexperienced at this. Decisions, decisions.

Service is ALL about the dealership. Some dealerships are really good.. some not so much. The factory, and or it's location has nothing to do with it.

If a 2-4 year old pod has been well cared for, it shouldn't have any issues. Anything "wrong" with it should have been sorted out by then. Stuff does break of course, and if you are not handy, paying someone else to fix it can be expensive. There is nothing on the pod harder to repair then the stuff around the house, do you do your own repairs and maintenance at home? If so, then you should have no issue. Do you have plumbers, electricians, and handy men on speed dial.. Then new is a better bet. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 6:05am

Welcome to the forum!

Furpod sums it up well, per usual.

Pod vs. Winnie - why buy a copy when you can have "the real McCoy"?

I'm just guessing but, I speculate that you would find more Forest River dealers than Winnie dealers. Thus, more places to have a Pod serviced, if needed. Actually, I can't think of a single advantage in buying the Winnie.....assuming you can even find one for sale.

Good luck in your search!
podrunner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 10:41am
Here is an advantage.  More manufacturing is equal to more competition so we as consumers have more options thus reducing sell prices.  Forest River has done a good job of controlling the R Pod distribution network.  Where I live, it is 300 miles to the next R-pod dealer.  The local guy asks for and gets a high price on his R pods because he lacks competition.  With Winniebago and now Jayco getting into the marketplace, we as consumers win.  Especially when you consider that most of the component parts are the same.  RV manufacturers are not so much building trailers as assembling them.  I enjoy my R pod but I feel no loyalty to Forest River.  I would encourage a potential new owner to shop around and spend your money where you feel you are getting the best value. Good luck and happy shopping..
2010 R Pod 151
2017 4runner
2006 Honda Metropolitan
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 11:26am
Originally posted by podrunner

Here is an advantage.  More manufacturing is equal to more competition so we as consumers have more options thus reducing sell prices.  Forest River has done a good job of controlling the R Pod distribution network.  Where I live, it is 300 miles to the next R-pod dealer.  The local guy asks for and gets a high price on his R pods because he lacks competition.  With Winniebago and now Jayco getting into the marketplace, we as consumers win.  Especially when you consider that most of the component parts are the same.  RV manufacturers are not so much building trailers as assembling them.  I enjoy my R pod but I feel no loyalty to Forest River.  I would encourage a potential new owner to shop around and spend your money where you feel you are getting the best value. Good luck and happy shopping..

However, if Jayco and Winnebago want to get into the market, they need to come up with their own designs and not just copy Forest River's designs. That is, unless they negotiate with Forest River to license the design first. Of course, that would make the copies more expensive as it would require royalty payments to Forest River. That is probably why Winnebago just copied the design and hopes that they can somehow win in court. Given previous history, that is not likely.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
julieboyles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 11:46am
Thanks to all. I've pretty much decided that an R-pod is for me (in part, also, due to the great resources this forum offers and the "community" of owners). Now, I think, it's just a decision between new or used and 177 or 178. I also wonder how important buying from the right dealer is. New or used? That is the question (hope the answer comes in my dreams). The R-dome is a must for me as well. Excited, just have to make these final decisions. Thanks.

podrunner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 11:49am
Winnebago and Jayco are both large and successful RV manufacturers.  I suspect this is a fight they feel they can win, or they would not have entered the "ring".  It will be interesting to see how it all plays out..and how long it may take. This could drag on for many years.  
2010 R Pod 151
2017 4runner
2006 Honda Metropolitan
Sandybeach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 11:35am
Julie 

WE bought the 178 so we have room for our grown kids as well. WE love sitting aroeund the u shaped dinette and playing games. You will love it. 

Sandra
2015 Rpod 178
2006 Toyota 4 runner
1 happy husband after 25 yrs of tenting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>