R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar panel question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar panel question
    Posted: 04 May 2016 at 1:40pm
Hi-new owner of a 2016 182g.  Will be primarily using it on the weekends (3 nights in a row maximum).  We live in Jackson, WY so will be going mostly no more than 30 minutes from home.  Still unclear as to the percentage of nights we will be dry camping as many of the campsites in Grand Teton National Park with electrical hookups fill up quickly and for long periods of time.  In this climate air conditioning is not a big concern for us.  My question is-based off of the above would you buy the Zamp solar panel (my Pod is pre-wired), a small generator or just wait a year and find out?  Will everything (except A/C) run from solar?

Thanks-everyone has been very helpful to this newbie.

TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 2:05pm
The microwave won't run on battery, at least not without an inverter and not for very long. The television will run with an inverter.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 2:31pm

Actually, if 3 nights are the maximum, then dual batteries should make it with no charging. Unless, you use a lot of power. (such as, with furnace usage)

During fair temps, my 2 marine/deep cycle (hybrid) can do 3 days with my normal usage. If you want a little more reserve power then go with two 6 volt golf cart batteries - wired is "series", to make 12 volts.

The A/C and microwave require 120 volts ac. If you can live without those you should be good.
Graham&Rory View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 4:09pm
Graham&Rory View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 4:11pm
Thank you-so as I understand it solar will not change what in the pod I can use-only that I can use it for longer.  In other words-the A/C and microwave (what about TV?) will not be powered by solar.  Will a run of the mill generator power these things?
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 4:19pm
As I mentioned, you can run the TV using an inverter to convert 12VDC to 120VAC. It will run a long time on battery.

A 2000W generator would probably be enough for the microwave. The minimum I've seen for the air conditioner is a 2400W Yamaha. A 3000W generator or two 2000W generators run in parallel will give you all the power you need, although you may still have issues if the microwave is running and the air conditioner compressor tries to kick on.
dr.becky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 4:23pm
So how does and inverter work for running the TV and how is it set up?

GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 4:39pm
You need to install a 12v plug (the one below has a 12v plug, two USB plugs and a voltmeter.) You will also need an inverter. 200w is plenty for the TV. Search this board for debates on pure sine vs. mod sine and decide for yourself.

As to the solar panel, I would wait a season and see how it goes. A voltmeter is very useful to judge exactly how much you are draining the batteries.

Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 9:13pm
For 2-3 days I'm not sure I would even upsize the battery.  We can always get through a weekend with some to spare.  Worst case on day 2 or 3 use a good set of jumper cables attached from the pod battery to the TV battery and run it for 30 minutes.

Do that for a season and then re-evaluate.  You may decide you do want a generator to run the A/C occasionally, or to nuke a quick dinner.  Or you don't need them but you usually camp in full sun so solar will work out.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 9:28pm
Is there a benefit to hooking up to jumper cables vs. using the bargeman connector?
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>