R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAir Compressor Mod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Compressor Mod
    Posted: 02 May 2016 at 4:17pm
My last TV had an air compressor built in and I found it extremely useful. On the new vehicle I was thinking about building one in, but decided on a portable to start out with. A Viair 88P. The main problem I have with small portable compressors is that they're on or off. No automatic shutoff, which I find a pain to use.. especially if you're extending the hose some ways from the compressor itself.

So for the mod... I added a pressure switch, relay and a quick connect to my Viair 88P to give it an automatic on/off. I ordered an air horn pressure switch with a large dead band (85 psi on, 105 off), made for filling up small pressure tanks, and picked up a relay, 1/4" T junction and associated fittings locally.  Now I can connect up using a standard pressure hose with quick-connect, use regular air fittings, and simply turn the compressor on and do my work. The compressor turns off automatically when pressure in the hose reaches 105, and back on again when I start using it.

I didn't keep track of all the costs, but not including the compressor... the pressure switch can be had for less than $10 if you want to go cheap, $5 for a relay, and $5-6 for the fittings?

The compressor doesn't put out much air, 1.5 cfm I think... so I'm not going to be using it for air-tools... but I find the automatic on/off much more convenient.

2016 Pod 172
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 8:14pm
Nice mod.  This type of thing is my kind of fun (like modding my wife's Prius so it can run most of the house with a server-room UPS).  Just a note that the most recent 12 volt compressor I bought has a digital setpoint with auto-shutoff, and an internal battery which has turned out to be much more useful than I thought it would be.  So, the option is out there.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 11:25pm
And I thought I was nuts making up just about every low voltage cable adapter I could think of! Actually, your air compressor does look like a fun mod. Nice spade connectors too! I got just the cable (Anderson Powerpole) for you to hook it to you batteries! Smile

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
timpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 11:12am
@techntrek... there are a lot of options on the low end, but they don't put out much air. All the small compressors I've seen are way less than 1 cfm and have very short duty cycles. Even 1.5 is not a whole lot, but I wanted more air and a longer duty cycle. More of a "mid size" compressor. In that range I couldn't find anything with automatic shut-off, but maybe they're out there. What did you get?

@fwunder.. I did see that thread on the Powerpole connectors, which I'd never heard of before. Looks like an interesting option.
2016 Pod 172
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 8:58pm
This is the one I have:  http://www.slime.com/us/products/auto/inflators/cordless/all-purpose-inflator-2.php

As you said, it is 1 CFM, although it feels like it works faster than several of the cheaper compressors I've had over the years.  That might be a function of the auto-shutoff, allowing me to do other things while it works.  It also has a 3.5 CFM low-pressure compressor for air mattresses, etc.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 9:02pm
Looks like this model does 1.9 CFM, but no auto-shutoff.

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 9:34pm
This is the one I have. It is slow, but with auto shut-off, it works well enough.

Tire Inflator Digital Display #40022/#40040
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply