Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFurnace trouble - Event Date: 05 Jan 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Furnace trouble
    Posted: 02 May 2016 at 8:33pm
Even though noisy, the pod's furnace is most welcome when camping in national parks, ect where no electric is available and when the temps get into the 30's or 40's.  We have used ours a lot in the 5 plus years we have owned our 177, no problems with it, we are very thankful for that.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Sweetie and my R Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 9:53am
Thank you everyone that posted comments my sweetie and I appreciate all your help. We have a couple of the small electric heaters kicking around the house so we will give that a try.
 How about if it just warms up and we wouldn't have to worry about such things Smile.

Also this is great forum for info, after we get a little more experience ourselfs I hope we can offer some help to others.
Julia1961 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 7:27pm
I'm new on using my stove and heater in my Rpod 173 2010. 
 Is this the sequence of how to light the stove. 
1. Turn on propane , strike match light stove. Let stove burn to make sure line flushes and it burns. 
2 Heater, turn on furnace, I'm plugged into 30 amp power at this point, should it kick on, and if I turn on the dometic fan to heat is that separate from heat? Yes, I am very confused how to get my stove and heater working.

Also what type of heater do you suggest that you would plug into electrical in pod to use to warm it along with wattage, if I would use that instead of propane heater.

The Vintage Glamper
Lilly Pod
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 7:30pm
+1 - Pod is at house on 30 amp power with space heater set to 60, instant man cave.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
densmorema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 9:56pm
The water heater works on gas or electric but not the furnace.
Mike and Cherie
Michigan
2015 R179 2016 silverado
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 11:01pm
To clarify the above post.  The furnace WILL work if not hooked into shore power IF you have battery power, same goes for the HW.  It is not necessary to be hooked up to shore power IF you have a battery.  We boondock a lot where there is no electricity, as in our national parks.  Our 2 12v deep cycle batteries will normally last 3 days each running lights, furnace, and hot water, even when night temps hit the upper 30's.  So we can plan on 6 days for our 2 batteries under these conditions.  The batteries were purchased March 2011 and still work quite well for us.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 1:00am
Originally posted by Julia1961

I'm new on using my stove and heater in my Rpod 173 2010. 
 Is this the sequence of how to light the stove. 
1. Turn on propane , strike match light stove. Let stove burn to make sure line flushes and it burns. 
2 Heater, turn on furnace, I'm plugged into 30 amp power at this point, should it kick on, and if I turn on the dometic fan to heat is that separate from heat? Yes, I am very confused how to get my stove and heater working.

Also what type of heater do you suggest that you would plug into electrical in pod to use to warm it along with wattage, if I would use that instead of propane heater.

You are exactly right regarding the stove.

As for the furnace, it only works on propane.  Whether you have 30 amp shore power is irrelevant. Your battery does need to be hooked up and charged.  That's what runs the fan.  Set the thermostat where you want it and set the fan to "auto".

I'm not sure what you mean by Dometic fan.  If you're referring to the big thing in the middle of the ceiling, that's the air conditioner, some of which have heat strips, but it is totally independent of the furnace.

You need to use the furnace for heat if you don't have shore power, but if you are hooked up to 120v electricity you can plug in any small, 1500w heater that you can pick up at Walmart, Target, your local hardware store, etc.  Nothing special.  You can still use the furnace but if you're at a campground with hookups you're already paying for electricity, so why not use it instead of your propane?

Another alternative is a Mr. Heater propane heater.  It uses the little green 1 pound propane bottles.  It's more or less the same power as an electric heater but it's quiet.  One common complaint about the on board furnace is that the fan is LOUD.  I finally got used to it, but for a long time it would wake me up every time it came on.  The Mr. Heater heaters are silent.  Some actually have an battery operated fan, but even if you use it, it's quieter than the on board furnace.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
podrunner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 1:16am
Just a reminder to all, if you use a Mr. Buddy  Heater inside the trailer, you MUST  partially open a window or the vent in the bath.  Otherwise, you will die from carbon monoxide poisoning.  The on board pod heater is self contained, i.e. the combustion is  both fed and exhausted from outside the trailer, no carbon monoxide danger.  I do use a Mr. Buddy regularly and am very careful about adequate ventilation.  Although I never use it at night while sleeping.  That is what an extra quilt or blanket  is for.

Happy Trails...
2010 R Pod 151
2017 4runner
2006 Honda Metropolitan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12