R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRemoving the A/C

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing the A/C
    Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 2:48pm
Hello all!
We are supposed to be picking up our 172 on Monday.  We chose the 172 specifically because of its weight: 2147#.  Our TV is rated to 2400# in the US, so we are trying to keep the weight a low as possible.  However, while checking something else out, I just stumbled upon the a/c weight: 95#!!!
Has any one removed the a/c?  If so, is it easy/difficult?  We wouldn't use it very much, so I was hoping we could either put in another fan to fill the hole, or some other mod that wouldn't be "permanent."
Any help/advice would be much appreciated!  My husband may even balk at purchasing this one given the additional weight and wasted cost by removing it (meaning we'd have to order and wait 2-3 months; not the end of the world, but was really looking forward to using it next month).
Thanks!!!
Melissa
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 4:19pm

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to give you some discouraging advice.
If your tow vehicle is only rated to tow 2400lbs. then,
don't buy a Pod. Or, plan on purchasing a new tow vehicle right away.
You really need something with about a 5000lbs. tow rating to pull one of these things.
Removing 95lbs. isn't going to help much.
It is not so much the weight that "gets you" and the aerodynamic drag (wind resistance).

You might pass along what your tow vehicle is.
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 5:24pm
You lunfortunately don't realize that weight includes all liquids, passengers in the vehicle, assesoties, add-on, etc.

Don't tow with that combo.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 5:48pm
 Towing near your rated tow limit won't be a nice experience unless very short distance trips at lower speeds. Your tow vehicle engine will be wrung out trying to maintain 55 mph, and hills will bring it right down from there. 

Your tow limit describes a 4 cylinder small vehicle. Not ideal for towing any model of R-Pod.

The R-Pod  starts at a empty weight, but add a battery, propane, some fresh water, and your clothes and camping supplies, and you will be pushing the gross limit of 2400 pounds easily.

Your tow vehicle also has a gross weight limit (car + cargo capacity)... The tongue weight of the R-Pod must be subtracted from the cargo level you can safely carry in the car. So if your vehicle can carry lets say 800 pounds, you must subtract cargo, people and the tongue weight from it and not exceed that limit.

Maybe look at upgrading your tow vehicle, with a minimum 3500 pound tow capacity, or a lighter camper. Good Luck.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
abejita76 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 7:14pm
First, thanks to those who responded!  Much appreciated.

As for our TV, it's a 2004 Subaru Forester XT.  US stated tow-capacity is 2400#, but in Europe and Australia (same model/engine/etc), it's 4000# (interesting article that reviews some of the rationale: http://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-me-down-1609112611).  It's GVWR is 4652#, with a curb weight of 3200#.  That should leave over 1400# for the tongue weight, my husband and I, our dogs, and supplies (we pack light and get water at the campground); please let me know if I'm wrong on this (GVWR, tongue weight, etc are all new terms to me).  

We currently have a Rockwood PUP that weighs ~2300# fully loaded, and we have had no issues.  We realize the aerodynamics will be different with the R-Pod, hence why were were trying to keep the weight as low as possible AND planned to by a hitch stabilizer or sway control adaptor.  And 90% of our trips will be within a 250-mile radius of our home.

In the interim I did do some calling around to different local dealers, and they said they could swap out the A/C for a vent (or another fan).  But why pay for something just to have it removed, when we can order it the way we want (sans A/C & M/W) from the dealer and wait the month or two to get it?  Just sad we won't have it next week.

Again, thanks for the replies.  And any other tips/advice/concerns are always welcome. Smile

Arturo & Melissa
Luna (the crazy yellow lab) & Frank (the pug)
(Soon to be) '16 172 & '04 Forester XT
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by abejita76

As for our TV, it's a 2004 Subaru Forester XT.  US stated tow-capacity is 2400#, but in Europe and Australia (same model/engine/etc), it's 4000# (interesting article that reviews some of the rationale: http://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-me-down-1609112611).  It's GVWR is 4652#, with a curb weight of 3200#.  That should leave over 1400# for the tongue weight, my husband and I, our dogs, and supplies (we pack light and get water at the campground); please let me know if I'm wrong on this (GVWR, tongue weight, etc are all new terms to me).  

We currently have a Rockwood PUP that weighs ~2300# fully loaded, and we have had no issues.  We realize the aerodynamics will be different with the R-Pod, hence why were were trying to keep the weight as low as possible AND planned to by a hitch stabilizer or sway control adaptor.  And 90% of our trips will be within a 250-mile radius of our home.

In the interim I did do some calling around to different local dealers, and they said they could swap out the A/C for a vent (or another fan).  But why pay for something just to have it removed, when we can order it the way we want (sans A/C & M/W) from the dealer and wait the month or two to get it?  Just sad we won't have it next week.

Again, thanks for the replies.  And any other tips/advice/concerns are always welcome. Smile

The frontal area of the Pod is such that you are pulling a nearly flat wall down the road. While the weight of the two trailers is close, the exposed frontal area of the pod vs the pup, is astronomical.

Honestly, we here want every podder to be safe, comfortable and happy. I don't think this combo is going to do any of those. And I like Subi's we have had 3. Wouldn't for a minute try to tow a pod with one.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 8:49pm
I'd really caution against this too.  I read the article you linked to and I didn't see anything about the legal implications of having an accident while exceeding your tow limit.  They aren't likely to be good.

It seems highly unlikely you can manage to stay under your weight limit with a battery, propane, bedding, clothes, food, and other gear, not to mention water and waste water.  And as Furpod says, you're at least pushing the limits of safety and your towing experience is unlikely to be very happy. 

You might get away with it, but I'd wager you'll be shopping soon for a different tow vehicle if you decide to keep the pod after a little towing with your Subaru.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 9:45pm
I am towing with a 2016 Ford Escape SE 2L Ecoboost with factory tow package. The tow limit on my vehicle is 3500 lbs. I tow a 179 and the combination behaves quite well. However, I would not necessarily recommend it for anyone else. If we had not just purchased it (with the view toward getting a Casita or other small trailer), I would have gone with something larger with a higher tow rating. When the deal we thought we had on a Casita turned out to be a scam, we needed to find something that was within the tow rating of the Escape. The R-Pod 179 was our choice. We are pushing the limit, but we can't afford to trade while the vehicle is less than a year old and we have a while to go before it is paid for. I added an AeroPlus by PurpleLine, which helps with the aerodynamics and improves my gas mileage. The Escape tows better with it as well.

I agree with the others. You would really be taking a risk with the Subaru. While it probably can be done, it probably should not be.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 8:09am
Originally posted by abejita76

As for our TV, it's a 2004 Subaru Forester XT.  US stated tow-capacity is 2400#, but in Europe and Australia (same model/engine/etc), it's 4000# (interesting article that reviews some of the rationale: http://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-me-down-1609112611).  

I just read the article. The way Europe calculates tow weights is relative to chassis, engine/transmission, and tongue weight. They understand that an excessive tongue weight is a bad situation which makes the front of the tow vehicle light. Weight Distribution Hitches are NOT used in Europe for the most part. SO the Europeans use a much lighter % of trailer weight for calculating tongue load.

On my VW, they used 8%.. 3500kg X 8% = 280kg ... This is a 7700 pound tow rating and a 616 pound tongue weight. It's just a formula. Many owners exceed the tongue rating, and also use weight distributing hitches.  Some are pulling 25FB  Airstreams with near 1000 pounds of tongue weight!!  This exceeds the 616 rating by a large margin, AND then they use a WDH, which puts further stress on the hitch.. Well it's their decision.

With the Subaru, I would care much more about the ability of the non-turbo 4 cylinder engine being able to hold up to such a workload. It's not the same towing a trailer as it is just driving fast at higher RPM's all the time. Towing is more stressful to the the engine and transmission for all vehicles. The Subie will wring it's guts out on hills at 50 mph or more. I don't think it has the HP or Torque to maintain speed when hitting a hill towing that kind of load (2400 lbs). 

I say if you can afford to change your mind after purchasing, go for it. You can either scale back the trailer with a lighter camper, or upgrade the tow vehicle.  If you can afford it, go for it. 

Also I would HIGHLY recommend visiting a Subaru forum to see what other owners of Foresters have done and what their experiences are.

You may even decide that the combination works OK for you. Just don't be in a hurry, acceleration and highway speeds are going to be much slower. Smile
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 10:19am
Save yourself the repairs to the Subie, and use that money to buy a bigger vehicle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>