Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: tires
    Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 3:00pm
I searched the forums for 'tires' but couldn't find what I was looking for, so I am starting this new thread.  For reasons too tedious and embarrassing to explain, I need to replace the tires on my week-old 180.  Since my bucket list trip is scheduled to begin on 5/14, I need them fast. I am considering replacing my 205/75R/14 C-rated tires with D rated tires.  The only ones I can find online that are D rated in this size (none of my local dealers had any tire like this) are Kenda Karriers.  If I don't do this, I am thinking of Greenball Towmasters because my local Costco has them.  They are C-rated, however.  So my questions are:
1.  Can anyone educate me about the quality of Greenball or Kenda tires?
2.  Is it a good idea to replace with the D rated rather than the C rated tire?  (The cost difference between the Kenda and the Greenball is only $14.)
3.  Has anyone had experience with TrailerTiresandWheels.com in Edon, OH.  (They sell the Kenda tires for $148 for a pair.  Etrailer charges $199/pair.)

Thanks for reading this far!  Thanks for any counsel you can offer!  Thanks for helping me organize my thinking by writing this all down!

Maureen

Thanks for all the fish.

R-Pod 180
2006 Ridgeline
2013 Polaris XP850
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Maureen4664

I searched the forums for 'tires' but couldn't find what I was looking for, so I am starting this new thread.  For reasons too tedious and embarrassing to explain, I need to replace the tires on my week-old 180.  Since my bucket list trip is scheduled to begin on 5/14, I need them fast. I am considering replacing my 205/75R/14 C-rated tires with D rated tires.  The only ones I can find online that are D rated in this size (none of my local dealers had any tire like this) are Kenda Karriers.  If I don't do this, I am thinking of Greenball Towmasters because my local Costco has them.  They are C-rated, however.  So my questions are:1.  Can anyone educate me about the quality of Greenball or Kenda tires? 2.  Is it a good idea to replace with the D rated rather than the C rated tire?  (The cost difference between the Kenda and the Greenball is only $14.)3.  Has anyone had experience with TrailerTiresandWheels.com in Edon, OH.  (They sell the Kenda tires for $148 for a pair.  Etrailer charges $199/pair.)Thanks for reading this far!  Thanks for any counsel you can offer!  Thanks for helping me organize my thinking by writing this all down!Maureen

I just purchased new tires (4) for my camper 3 weeks ago. I purchased Carlisle tires at Discount Tire ( in other parts of the country, it may be called "America's Tire" - I think.) My tires are the same ST205/75/14R Load range C.

I did a post a while back on tires:

Tire posts

Here is some info from Discount Tire that I think good:

Discount Tire link

So, to answer you questions.........

1. I didn't buy either of the brands mentioned. My camping neighbor gave Goodyear Marathon tires a solid thumbs down.

2. I don't think going with a Load D tire would hurt anything but, may give you a rougher ride. You will need to keep them inflated to 80psi (I think). Check with your tire dealer. It is generally recommended to stay with what came on your unit from the factory.

3. No experience with tires from either.

The tires I purchased were $92 each, plus lifetime spin balance, plus lifetime any hazard failure/puncture, recycling fee and sales tax. Mounting and new valve stems were included.

I am not sure what would happen if you were to put Load range D tires on the Pod and leave the spare as a Load range C. Ask a reputable dealer. You may need to replace the spare, also, with a Load D.

Also, IMHO - have the tires balanced. In short, because of the same reasons we have it done on our tow vehicles.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 4:45pm
Maureen,  No direct experience here, but I wanted to give you something due to your short time frame. I've never heard of Greenball, probably a Costco in house brand. Kenda is a known brand, but I don't know what their reputation is. However, E-trailer does sell the Kenda Karrier in 205/75R14 and usually E-trailer sells good stuff and they due show very good reviews from 81 buyers. Maybe a call to e-trailer would elicit an opinion, to be taken with the necessary block of salt Wink .

I like the idea of load range D on the 180. The Kendas are radial which is also good and Ds are better than Cs. The ride may be rougher, but you're not riding in the trailer.

BTW, I also had to replace a very new tire on my Camplite due an operator error which shall go undisclosed. It happens to all of us eventually Unhappy .

My 3 cents worth (inflation). Hope your trip goes well.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

I like the idea of load range D on the 180.

I think I do too, Charlie. A loaded 180 is kind of pushing hard on a Load C tire. The 180's are a little longer and heavier than my Coleman. If buying new, I'd definitely consider it.
Maureen4664 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 5:27pm
Thanks, guys!  Going to go with the D rated and hope TrailerTiresandWheels.com are righteous dealers.
Thanks for all the fish.

R-Pod 180
2006 Ridgeline
2013 Polaris XP850
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 5:33pm

Great! If I were in your position, I'd go with a Load D tire. But, I'm reluctant to recommend ( to someone else) against what the mfg. recommends.

I need to correct something above...the Load D needs 65psi, I think. Be sure to ask the installer. Good luck!
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 10:15pm
I would add to the tire discussion by suggesting that you get new metal valve stems with your new tires.  Plastic valve stems are more prone to cracking and leaking. Moast new tires are now filled with nitrogen. theoretically nitrogen can handle temperatures better and the molecules are larger, thus inhibiting leaks.  However, the air we breathe is 795 nitrogen already, so not sure how much difference it really makes.  We can certainly add air to a nitrogen filled tire to bring it up to the necessary psi rating.  I would add that not only do we balance our tires, we also rotate them seasonally. We went up to a D rating and use Maxxis 8008s- all 3 tires are alike

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 10:16pm
Sorry, the air we breathe is 79% nitrogen.  Not hitting the caps key added a lot of nitrogen!!
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 10:29pm
Yeah that 795 nitrogen can hurt the lungs.

Going with D rated tires can only help.  Campers with C often are loaded right to the limit of the tire.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Maureen4664 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 10:33pm
Thanks, Vann!  I had no idea valve stems were made of plastic!  Only because Costco fills my tires with nitrogen did I know about that.  (And I looked right at 795 nitrogen and saw 79%.  I don't know whether I'm unobservant or my brain is good at automatic translation.Wink)  
Thanks for all the fish.

R-Pod 180
2006 Ridgeline
2013 Polaris XP850
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>