FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack/Red Zip Wire Source

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black/Red Zip Wire Source
    Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 1:41pm
Perhaps someone has an idea.

I'm looking for a source of high quality black/red zip cord similar to Powerwerx brand:

I got a nifty new Anderson Powerpole crimper and some powerpoles and I want to make up a bunch of new quick-connect power cables (10 AWG). Can't find any zip cord locally and most of what I see online like Audiopile wire is either CCA or not gauged correctly. I'll get it from Powerwerx or White Mountain radio if I have to. Just trying to avoid expensive shipping. No, I can't find the equivalent on Amazon.

Thanks for any ideas!!

Thanks!

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 3:03pm

How many feet do you need?

R and L Electronics sells a 100' spool of 10ga. for about half of what Powerwerx does. Take a look.

R and L

I have not bought any lately but, it used to be OK stuff. What you save may help ease the pain of the shipping charges.

To me, it doesn't seem like this stuff should be so difficult to come by??? (but it is )
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 5:03pm
Thanks David!

100' is more than I want to commit to right now. I really just want to clean up all of my different 12 volt adapter stuff (cig adapters, hopkins plugs, alligator clips, bayonets, etc.) and try to standardize on the Powerpoles. I got a pod-water-transfer-pump project to update too. I've never used Powerpoles, but they really do seem like the right quick connect to standardize on if you're gonna standardize on something. Wink

The black red zip wire is my lazy way of making up good cables without sleeving/taping separate wires. Yeah, I have been surprised how hard it is to find good thin strand copper wire. Maybe I should just buy lamp cord! 

I went a placed an order with Powerwerx. I wanted some good 12 AWG to go with the 10 AWG and some more Anderson connectors. $71.00 worth of stuff cost me $24.00 to ship! Crazy. Maybe I can sell someone here a nice 10 AWG accessory cable for their pod battery! Wink

Thanks!

fred

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 6:28pm

I agree that the Powerpoles are nice and a great way to go. I think you'll like what you get from Powerwerks. They seem to sell good stuff.

If you have not seen this, you may find it interesting:

Powerpole tips

Make up the accessory cable and put it in the "For Sale" section. Who knows, you may get swamped with orders and end up a wealthy man!
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 7:14pm
That's a good document. Thanks Dave! WunderCables™ on the assembly line!!

fred
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 11:24am
I got my wire and more connectors from Powerwerx. This is really nice wire. I got 25 feet of 12AWG and 10AWG. 

My original plan was simply to make up a 8 foot, 10AWG cable for my 300watt/260gph water transfer pump. Once I got started and realized how versatile and sturdy the anderson connectors are, I started connecting everything I could find in my misc. electrical stuff box.

The plan now is to attach a 40 amp Bussman short stop breaker to one of my batteries and a short anderson lead. Then I can attach my 8 ft. 10AWG extension and plug in whatever I might want outside or under the dome. Overkill??!

The Cable Guy

P.S. My jumper battery shows 15v. cuz it's just topping off with the Battery Tender via a anderson jumper, of course.

Post Reply Post Reply