FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew and looking at my first RV purchase

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New and looking at my first RV purchase
    Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 3:07pm
Hi All,

Just found this forum and have been pouring through a lot of the mod threads as well as any other information I can get about the R-Pod.

This will be my first RV purchase however I have spent 4 weeks on a trip out west with 4 adults in a small toy hauler in Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks and learned quite a bit about what I liked and didn't like. Storage space and room where the biggest issues but that trailer really wasn't suited to long stays.

For me, I'm single but do have a travelling companion sometimes so space won't be as much of an issue. I've been looking at the 182G for a couple of reasons. When I'm by myself I can just use the bunks and not have to worry about making up a bed and when I have company the bunks are available for them. Does anyone know if those bunks are okay for adults?

I like the rear garage since I found we did most of our cooking and cleaning outside. Plus the huge sink in the back is great for washing dishes and you don't have to have a separate dish washing station.

Honestly, all my research is based on research I've done online, I plan to get a first hand look at the different models tomorrow. I have been looking at some of the other brands such as the Palomini and was leaning that way until I saw the floor plans available in the R-Pod.

Any advice for a first timer would be welcome. I've tent camped most of my life and even though the toy hauler trip wasn't a success, I did see how much nicer it is to have an RV.

Thanks again!

Jeff
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 3:12pm
Welcome to the group!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Hour Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 12:32am
Hi Jeff,

The dealer you see tomorrow will know weights, but the bottom bunk will easily accomodate the weight of an adult.

Good luck and happy shopping.
Love'N Hour Pod
2017 Sierra Crew & 2017 182G
JJ, Erin, Alexa & Jace
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 6:48am

Welcome to the forum and good luck!
p40whk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 6:49am
Thanks all, I appreciate the welcome!
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 10:56am
Welcome to the forum!

Just curious: Are you just a fan of the P-40 Warhawk or did you fly one?
p40whk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 11:08am
P40 Warhawk has always been my favorite airplane. I'm in avaition and if I could afford to own one I would but that's just a pipe dream, there aren't many of them left flying.
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 12:44pm
My wild guess is that the bunks are going to be more than adequate for the average adult. It's a liability issue, if it is meant for kids I would assume there would be a sticker on the bunk clearly stating the weight limit. Being and engineer, this is a case where we would want to "idiot proof" the situation. Some guy gets boozed up and unknowingly crawls into the top bunk; if the top one fails, and someone is sleeping underneath, now you have two people in the hospital. My guess is that it will hold 200 Lbs minimum.
p40whk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Retroactive

My wild guess is that the bunks are going to be more than adequate for the average adult. It's a liability issue, if it is meant for kids I would assume there would be a sticker on the bunk clearly stating the weight limit. Being and engineer, this is a case where we would want to "idiot proof" the situation. Some guy gets boozed up and unknowingly crawls into the top bunk; if the top one fails, and someone is sleeping underneath, now you have two people in the hospital. My guess is that it will hold 200 Lbs minimum.

Good logic and I never considered that! I'm a technical writer so I should have thought of that myself. Just can't assume anything these days though. 

I have friends trying to talk me out of the bunks already (even though they aren't RV owners). Also have other people telling me I should consider the hybrids. Not sure I want to hassle with the tent ends or not and you can't use them in campgrounds where bear are present.

A lot of things to consider but I'm sure it will come down to what feels comfortable once I've had the chance to get inside them.
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 12:59pm
Definitely make sure you get to physically visit at least 3-4 floorplans, after that you should get a good feel for what the rest might feel like. Skip the tent ends, that stuff will eventually fail anyhow and then you are stuck in replacement parts hell..."ohhh, sorry, it's the spring rush, that's on a 4 week factory backorder." 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>