FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThanksgiving Camping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thanksgiving Camping
    Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 4:27pm
The Wife and I (and the four legged child) are taking a week and a half off at Thanksgiving. Leaving South Carolina and heading to Illinois for two days to see the Wifes sister, then on to my parents in Iowa for a week. Will be staying in the Pod the whole time. 2400 mile round trip, the farthest trip in our Pod by about 2200 miles. Will also be the longest stay in the Pod by 8 days. Our first winter trip in the camper, much colder in the Midwest then South Carolina, so we will see how it does. Anyone else camping in their Pod during Thanksgiving? Please share.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 5:40pm

We actually thought about leaving town since Thanksgiving will be at out house this year Big smile

I think you have much courage to brave the elements.
Good luck!
yizit View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 8:39pm
I wish!!!  We winterized ours...no more camping until springCry

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 9:50pm
Cindy and I were just talking about not winterizing and hoping for some "decent" weather to take Apollo13 for a stroll. We decided not to and go ahead with the winterizing.

I think it's great that your doing the trip !!! We would too, but we rely on nice weekends for camping at this point.

Hey throttle ...  where abouts are you traveling thru Illinois at ? We are in Springfield ....

HAPPY PODing !!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 10:03pm
Be sure to call ahead.  Many campgrounds up north close for the winter.  Or at least turn off the water and offer electric only.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 10:34pm
Very good point Christine !!!

While going over our possibilites in Illinois, I noticed that some actually "Close" during the peak winter months.
Some reamain open w/limited resources.

HAPPY PODing !!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 11:07pm
No thinking about Thanksgiving Camping BUT I'm planning on camping right after Christmas.  We have winterized the R-Pod camper already.  It's not hard to use it and redo the winterizing.  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 12:01am
Ive considered the possibility of winter camping, but in our case it would be a weekend to weekend consideration depending on schedules and weather.

Keeping it de-thawed during the work week is an issue.
Maintaining an un-frozen water tank.
Storing during the week with the Hot water Heater on.
Extensive use of RV Anti-freeze to keep water lines working.

Perhaps with a full season of camping under our belt ('10) we'll be more inclined to attempt it.

HAPPY PODing !!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 5:08pm
We rented our campsites for the trip. Our route was changed by a landslide on I-40 west of Asheville,NC that has shut the interstate down till who knows when, so we will be going up through Georgia instead of NC. Our first stop will be at a KOA campground in Calhoun,GA on the 20th. Then on to Cullom,Ill the next day. Will stay in Cullom for two days, then on to Danville,IA. We will be in Iowa till the saturday after Thanksgiving. On the way back we will be staying at Voluteer Family Campground in Heiskell,Tn. What a great trip, I will get to add four stickers to my states map instead of the three we had planned on. Cant wait to spend that much time in the Pod. I suppose I should also look forward to the time with family too.LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 5:14pm
P.S. PodPatrol. We will be in the tiny little town of Cullom when we are in Ill. Its between Kankakee and Champaign/Urbana on I-57.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>