R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpace Heaters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Space Heaters
    Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by PodPatrol

Is RV antifreeze in the gray/black tanks effective ?

If RV antifreeze is the only thing in your gray or black tank, then it will cause no damage in sub-freezing temperatures (but unnecessary - just leave the tank empty).

But, if you're hoping that adding a bit of RV antifreeze to the contents of your gray or black tanks will keep them from freezing, then no, it wont work.  Thats not what RV antifreeze is designed for.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 9:12pm
If I were camping in the winter, I would go to a campground with a heated bathroom for bathing.  I would not use the freshwater tank or toilet in freezing weather.  Lots of campgrounds have clean water that can be carried to you camper to use for cooking and clean up.  After putting water down the drain, I would add antifreeze to the drain to keep them from freezing. I wouldn't use the water pump.  I think if would be simpler to do the above unless the weather breaks and you have a weekend with temps above freezing.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 12:41am
Here is another small article Ive ran across while browsing heaters ...

"Portable electric heaters are a great supplement to the propane furnace. This method of heating doesn't add condensation to the air and allows the propane furnace to run considerably less, saving a lot of propane. Catalytic heaters are another popular way to provide assistance to the propane furnace but require fresh air ventilation to avoid oxygen depletion in the RV (see warning)."

HAPPY PODing !!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 10:33am
We have an Arctic Cat catalytic heater. I think it is made by Coleman and runs on the small tank.  It uses one small tank in about 8 hours.  We have used it in our pop up.  We also used it in a small den when the electricity was off for three days.  My husband always makes sure that there is a fresh air source to make up for the oxygen that is depleted.  We never use it at night while we are sleeping.  Sleeping bags worked very well in the absence of the heater.

Pepperpod
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 11:09pm
Has anyone considered a 12V heater ?? (when electric site isnt available) 

This model comes up alot during searches ... was wondering if any of our fine resident experts could/would give an opinion ??

Thanks !!!

HAPPY PODing !!! (#14)
yizit View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 11:14pm
I like the idea of a 12V heater.  I would like to know how long a battery would last running one of these.  

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by yizit

I like the idea of a 12V heater.  I would like to know how long a battery would last running one of these.  

Me too yizit !! Im checking into it ..... one add says its 15amp, another says 22amp.

HAPPY PODing !!! (#14) 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 11:34pm
PodPatrol
I think the heater you are looking at is rated for 22 amp.  The battery you have is an Interstate model HD24-DP if it is like mine.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/content/product_info/marine_f.asp

From the info on this page you would have about 2 hours of battery before cold will set in.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 11:46pm
I inquired g-man about this and he checked it out and did the math.
(I hate math!)

Heater is listed at 300w.  Which from a heating standpoint it kind of low.   But 300w at 12-13v you would be talking about 300/13.8 = 22AMPs.   Which is really high for a battery.   My battery in my POD is a 90AH battery and assuming that you would only want to draw the battery down to a half of its charge (50% drawdown) to maximum lifetime of battery.  Would mean you could only run it for 2 hours (44Ah) before your battery was about dead.

also he shot back to me:
I looked at it a bit more, must draw 15 amps or less.  But that doesn't make sense with its 300watt rating.  The 12gauge wire they list is only rated to 16amps max.   So would need to be fused at around 15amps which it says it is.  But as 13.8 volts that would be only around 207 watts at 15 amps.  But even at 15amps, will kill a trailer battery in under 4 hours.

Thanks to g-man and Sandpiper for the "math" (did I mention I hate math?)

the search continues......

HAPPY PODing !!! (#14)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 11:53pm
I asked g-man about the furnace in the r-Pod and its requirements.

He shot this back to me.....

"I don't have my binder here so don't have all my info with me at the moment so don't have the manual for the furnace.   But I think this is what we have:
Which according to info puts current draw at 2.8 Amps.   Of course it doesn't run all night long.   So if it ran for two hours (15 minutes each hour for 8 hours) each night you would be looking at about 5.6Ah draw each night.    Which isn't that bad if you have around 120Ah or more of dual battery power and can charge batteries up during the day.
Thanks again to g-man for the stats .... we are so lucky to have these knowledgable types at the forum ... (to many to list !)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123