R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpace Heaters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Space Heaters
    Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 4:11pm

Ive looked at alot of Electric portable space heaters online... great way to browse !!

Ive found hundreds of such units. Some with remotes, some with auto functions, some that are cool to the touch (easy placement), and so on and so on ...

I have found that when searching for this particular item the reveiws are worth scanning over.
Personaly, I always go to the bad reviews first.
This lets me know if there are mis-leading features or a lack of the company to resolve issues.
Nothing irks me more than a company that sells products knowing the problems, or hiding the
true nature of the features via vague descriptions.

For us r-Pods, there is no silver bullet when it comes to a space heater.
After all, we have furnaces, but improving them isnt an option when it comes to noise, or use of RV resources(elec, LP). If an Electric campsite is available, then "elec" is not an issue. But you will need LP in any case. An electric 'space heater' is an effective inexpensive alternative than replacing the current furnace.

I really dont know how important this issue is with the r-Pod owners, but with winter slowly creeping in I thought it might be interesting to get some opinions on this subject.

I believe that Cindy and I are sold on the "space heater" option after our furnace wouldnt operate on a nippy night in OH. The small very inexpensive heater did us fine, and it seemed to be much quieter than the furnace. We had little control of the thermostat as our little unit had the "ball-park" approach to temp settings. And getting up from a comfy bed to adjust it seemed the only negative by-product. (which would apply to the r-Pod furnace as well).

Ive read a few posts scattered amoungst the hundreds here on such an issue.
I believe that if we can concentrate this information into one thread, it could be very educational for any (all) r-Poddies that
may be interested in using the r-Pod furnace as a back-up, and using the small Electric space heaters as a main source for heat when the temps dip down.

I believe that its a subject worth commenting on, and the more input we get the easier it helps us to decide whats good 'for our' particular application.
A portable type heater will need a place be located, whether or not it be on the the floor, or attached to something, or hung somewhere.

There are tons of options out there, I was just wondering if it might be useful to put them in one place, and get the valuable input from fellow Pod owners as to what they use, or if they use one at all.

HAPPY PODing !!!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 4:44pm
I am very much with you on this idea. When we pay for a camp site, part of that fee pays for electricity. When Ive already paid for electric, why use my expensive LP. I had a thought a few weeks back about removing the fabric below the sofa on my 175 making a wooden facia, installing a cabinet on the right and installing this http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200325966_200325966. Thats part of my take on the subject...
gmandual View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 6:02pm
Both lowes and home depot carry small (2000watt or less) heaters that are designed to be installed in the walls of bathrooms or used as suplemental heat.   And I think that is the route I will be going on my 172. 

The only thing I am trying to decide is whether or not I am going to go with one of the broan forced air unit or go with one of the wall mounted convection heater units.   For me the whole purpose of going electric is to make it so its quiet and convenient.   Some of the small convection wall heaters are designed to heat rooms up to 120SQ ft which should be sufficient for a pod.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 6:10pm
We have a Lasko ceramic heater which we have used for years in our last TT.
It has become quite noisy and we are looking to replace it.
Consumer Reports gave DeLonghi SafeHeat Flat Panel Micathermic HHP 1500 a very high rating so I'll do some investigating on that.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 6:13pm
Does your heat strip in your air make to much noise and is that why you want another heat source? The fan will keep the condition  down.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 6:18pm
I meant to say keep the condensation down with the air movement.
yizit View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 6:24pm
We have used the small 1500 watt heaters for years in our pop-ups, which could not keep up with heating in very cold weather.  This year we purchased the Sunbeam Ceramic heater for R-pod and it worked great.  It is small and compact and takes up very little space on the floor.  I believe it also has a tip over safety switch.  We used it with temps getting down into the low to mid 30's and it had no problem keeping us toasty warm.  Cost...less then $20.

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by cane2

Does your heat strip in your air make to much noise

It's the fan that makes too much noise to the point that it is startling and wakes us up every time it comes on. We probably just need to replace it with a newer model.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by yizit

This year we purchased the Sunbeam Ceramic heater for R-pod and it worked great.  It is small and compact and takes up very little space on the floor.

How is it on noise?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 7:40pm
We are also using the Sunbeam Ceramic heater ($18.00 at Walmart) (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=12338793&sourceid=1500000000000003260370&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=12338793)  and find it to be sufficiently quiet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>