R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo I want front stabilizers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do I want front stabilizers?
    Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 11:43am
The last time I was at my local dealer, I noticed that they had Bal Light Trailer Stabilizing Jacks in stock for $55/pair.  Although I can live with my r-pod as-is (just the rear stabilizers), I thought that these might be a nice addition.  But, I don't want to install them if they're just going to be an annoyance.

Can anyone think of a downside to adding front stabilizers?

For those who have front stabilizers, either factory-installed or self-installed (and no risers): do you find that the front stabilizers catch on anything while trailering?  I'd think that the rears would cause most of the problems, but I'd like some input from people with experience.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 12:43pm
I have added front stabilizers (made by BAL) and do not have risers installed. They made the R-POD much more stable and I have had no problem with them catching on anything. No downside as far as I am concerned.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 1:05pm
The only thing wrong with them is you can't level your camper with them.   Not even the ones on the back.  They will bend.  Spend the same amount and get leveling jacks from Harbor Freight.  They look the same, work the same and are better.

Terry
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 1:07pm
We have the front stabilizers on our new 177 and seem to make the unit very stable when parked.  I haven't had any problems with them dragging and have gone through some entrances with big dips so I am happy with mine.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 1:12pm
We have the factory stabilizers and other than the time it takes
to deploy them, I have no problem with them.
We use the Bal leveler, the hitch post, and the stabilizers to
level and stabilize the Pod, and so far this combination works
fine. I use a good quality level placed on the middle of the floor
inside to get a true reading. I had placed a few small leveler
bubbles on the tongue but wasn't getting a "true" level from front
to back. With the level I had at home I got a really good reading.
We will be carrying it with us come Spring campingtime !!!
After leveling we deploy the stabilizers for stability.
This method works great for us !!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 1:22pm
We put them on ours and they made a noticeable difference in stability.
We don't have risers and so far have been fine.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Outbound

The last time I was at my local dealer, I noticed that they had Bal Light Trailer Stabilizing Jacks in stock for $55/pair.  Although I can live with my r-pod as-is (just the rear stabilizers), I thought that these might be a nice addition.  But, I don't want to install them if they're just going to be an annoyance.

Can anyone think of a downside to adding front stabilizers?

For those who have front stabilizers, either factory-installed or self-installed (and no risers): do you find that the front stabilizers catch on anything while trailering?  I'd think that the rears would cause most of the problems, but I'd like some input from people with experience.

Craig - get the stabilizers - you'll be glad you did.

The ones that come on the trailer are a rather cheap chinese made stabilizer. Not certain but I think the Bal stabilizers may be a bit more heavy duty. For that reason you may want to put your existing ones on the front and the Bal stabilizers in the rear. I had also contemplated moving the rear stabilizers forward a bit (perhaps 6") as they seem to be the first thing to drag when going in and out of our driveway. Unfortunately there is no crossmember at this point so I'd have to weld something in.  Ideally, I'd like to put in some sort of skid plate or caster on the rear as some motorhomes have so that the skid plate or caster is the thing that touches the ground not the paintwork on the frame or heaven forbid the rear bodywork of the R-pod.

Btw, I noticed the new photo (your mug) - is it just a coincidence that its Hallowe'en tomorrow?  mwhahahaStar 

just kidding
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by TerryM

The only thing wrong with them is you can't level your camper with them.   Not even the ones on the back.  They will bend.  Spend the same amount and get leveling jacks from Harbor Freight.  They look the same, work the same and are better.

Terry
I believe that you should not use stabilizers or leveling jacks to level an R-POD because you may over-stress the frame and cause damage. I only use the tongue jack and blocks under one wheel to level our R-POD. Only then do I lower the four stabilizers to the ground and give them no more than one full turn after touching the ground. I got this advice from my dealer and also I think it is posted somewhere else on this forum. Is this not correct?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 5:27pm
Ive read many a post about this issue.

For what its worth:

It "is" true that you shouldnt use stabilizers for "leveling".
That isnt what they are for.

I use a Bal Light Trailer Single Axle "leveler" under the "low-side" tire for "side to side" leveling.

I currently use the "stock" front tongue lift for "front to back" leveling.
(I may go with retractable tongue lift cause the current one hits my driveway when backing it in)

Then after "Level" is accomplished I retract the "stabilizers" to enforce the "Level". Possibly one turn after I feel any resistance from it reaching the ground. Then I check the "level" again.

Since arriving back home Ive incorporated small pieces of treated 4x4's under the tongue lift and all stabilizers.

Before I attempt to "Level" the Pod, I position it to the place where it will sit. I then determine which side is low. I chock the "low" tire with my Bal Leveler, and the "high" tire with both of those plastic yellow chocks that was included in the Couch's RV starter kit.

I then disconnect the Pod placing a piece of 4x4 under the tongue lift.
I place my level in the middle of the Pod floor (side to side) and get my 1st mate (Cindy) to eye it for
me as I adjust the Pod via the Bal-Leveler for "side-to-side" leveling.
Then we move the level to point "front to back" and use the tongue lift for "front to back" leveling.
Once that is attained, we check both levels again, then I incorporate the "stabilizers", lowering each one on another 4x4 until I get resistance. I usually go a turn or two (at the most) after that. If any "play" is noticable, then re-check the level and re-check the stabilizers.

This was the procedure (minus the 4x4s) we came up with on our very first night camping at Huestons after pick-up of the Pod. (of course reading many articles and posts helped us to no end)

Its not rocket-science, but it really worked well for us. Im not sure about the retractable tongue lift that have a "wheel" on it. If the wheel is removable then Id be ok with that. Its just that Im not real comfortable knowing it could/might have a tendency to move. Id rather remove the wheel, and let the shaft rest on a 4x4. That I could live with.

HAPPY PODing !!!
yizit View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 11:45pm
Yes get the stabilizers!  You will be glad you did.  FYI the stabilizers are just that...stabilizers.  They are not meant to raise the trailer.  You can cause damage to your frame and the jacks. 

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>