R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 58>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 6:52pm
Well, I need to remedy an oversight. I thought I had posted a picture of the battery cut-off switch here. I had posted it elsewhere instead. Here it is:

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 9:56pm
This is one I just did. I got tired of cranking the jack for hitching and unhitching the R-Pod. My wife was watching me do it last time, and agreed to let me do something about it. After a lot of searching and reading reviews, I decided to give Jack Quick model JQ-3500B a try. It was easy to mount, only requiring the removal of three bolts (after suitably bracing the tongue on a jack stand) to remove the manual jack. Installation was easy as the R-Pod already has a bottom plate which is required. The same bolts and washers are used with the addition of a star washer between the tongue and flat washer to ensure good electrical contact. The wire was run to the battery box and wired to the positive terminal through the included breaker. The connection  terminals were not included, which is the only irritant since the only way I could get the one ring terminal I needed in the correct size was to purchase a kit. Hopefully, I'll find use for more of the terminals in the future.

Anyway, here's a picture of the installed jack With the Husky foot I had been using on the manual jack. I did not even have to drill any holes for it as the jack already had the proper size hole for the bolt needed in the correct location. Big smile

Edit: I ended up removing the Husky Brute foot and installing the adjustable foot that came with the jack. It has a round foot and adjusts by removing a pin. Since I would have to get down and adjust it or get down and swivel the Husky foot (plus install or remove it if I did not want to leave it on while traveling), I was not saving much time. The stock adjustable foot should save a couple of pounds also.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 10:14pm
I had previously mounted a Stromberg-Carlson cargo carrier with the view toward carrying a generator. I purchased a Generac iX2000, which is sufficient to run most of what I need on the R-Pod, including the AC. It is rated at 2000 running Watts and 2200 surge Watts. So far, I have only tested it, and it ran the AC. Unfortunately, the convection microwave must pull one huge surge of power when the microwave part tries to start. The Generac can't run it.  Unhappy

However, I still want to carry it, so I had to figure out how to tie it down and then how to protect it. For tie-downs, I got some cargo tie-down brackets and attached them to the platform. For one of them, I could use one of the existing bolts for the front leg. For the rest, I drilled and used stainless steel bolts with washers and nylock nuts. This will not make it impossible to steal, just inconvenient. A ratcheting strap and a bicycle lock complete the mount.

Of course, I did not want to leave my nice, shiny generator out in the sun and rain. I also wanted to protect it while traveling from road dirt and rain. Enter a plastic bin from Wal-Mart. It got inverted with a few holes drilled in the rim to drain water (got to keep from creating a mosquito breeding pond). Some bungee cords keep it in place.

We tested this on our most recent trip from North Carolina to western New York State and return. It rode well with no issues and the generator stayed clean and dry.

My next project will be to move the spare tire so I can mount a small platform in order to carry my spare propane tank and a gasoline container outside of the R-Pod and TV.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
TheLoneRanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheLoneRanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 11:17pm
Hello SH,

I am new to this forum. I have enjoyed seeing all the mods you have designed. It is evident you are a "problem solver".

I have been trying to find a solution to carry a generator. Your solution is perfect! Would you mind sharing the model/part # for the gen tray and Walmart cover? How much did this add to the tongue weight of your 179? I have a 2016 HRE 177.

Your mods are very creative and the details you provide are great!

Thanks,
Dana - an all American male

StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2016 at 10:27am
Dana,

The Stromberg-Carlson Trailer Tray specifications are on the eTrailer web site. The weight of the tray is 65 lbs. The generator would be additional, but that would vary by what generator you purchase. The cover was simply a household plastic bin (Sterilite)  with a separate lid. I don't have a part number for it. I simply chose one that would have sufficient length, width, and depth to cover the generator. I do not use the lid that came with it. I do need to modify it a little since it has an indentation in the bottom (now top) that holds water. I will take a heat gun and carefully heat and mold it to create a couple of drain channels. I don't want to make holes to drain it as it would defeat the purpose of keeping the generator dry.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 8:54pm
Time for another mod posting. I wanted to be able to use the hitch on the back for something other than the spare tire, but with the generator rack and generator on the front already, I did not want to add yet more weight. The question became one of if I can't put it three, where can I put it?

BAL has the answer in their Hide-A-Spare. This device lets one move the tire to mount beneath the R-Pod. In the case of the 179, the space between the steps and the rear stabilizer is the perfect spot to mount the spare. I was able to find the 28210 model, which is a little shorter than the 28215 model in the link. However, I still ended up having to cut the bars and drill new holes, so it isn't worth the hassle of trying to locate the 28210 model. In addidtion, the people from whom I ordered it sent it without some of the necessary hardware. BAL did make good, but not before I had to spend the money for the bolts, nuts, and washers needed anyway since the parts did not arrive until after we left on our most recent trip. I also didn't save much over what I would have paid Amazon.

Here are a couple of pictures:

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 9:17pm
With the tire and old tire carrier out of the way, I now could mount a Curt Cargo Carrier. The virtue of this model is that the shank is the right size for the hitch receiver on the rear of the R-Pod. It also comes with an adapter so it can be used on 2" receivers, so if I want to use it with my Escape, I can do so without having to purchase additional adapters.

It arrived in pieces. The instructions were straight-forward, so I assembled it. The only part that could be tricky is in making sure that the two base pieces are installed so that the tops of them are flush with the shank. There were complaints in the reviews about holes in the wrong places. I can only assume that those people had the base pieces upside-down. For me, everything lined up and assembly was pretty quick. This model comes with a threaded hole in the shank. The "pin" that goes into the shank is a threaded bolt for part and a longer unthreaded section, presumably to help line up the holes. The threads tighten the shank into the receiver so that it cannot shift. There is a spring clip for the hole on the end, but with the bolt tightened, it really does not do much. A lock could be put through through for security. The last step was to tighten the bolt that was already there to lock the spare carrier so that it would not shift. This, however, went into a second hole. While it would help ensure that the shank could not come out of the hitch, since there was a hole there, it really did not do much good for stabilizing the carrier. The Curt supplied pin/bolt did a good job of making the carrier so that it did not rattle or shift.

The carrier, once installed got a part sheet of polyurethane sealed Lauan plywood to help hold a propane tank and a small bin in which was a gasoline container along with a bottle of Stabil to be used as needed. On the part of the rack without the plywood was a larger bin (Rubbermaid Action Packer) in which was the BBQ grill, awning and slide-out cover fabric and track pins, and our 30A electrical cord along with the Camco circuit analyzer/surge protector. A bicycle lock secured the propane tank and Action Packer. The gasoline bin was not locked, but everything was cinched down with ratcheting straps or other cinch straps. The pictures will show these.

The purpose of the rack is primarily so that I don't have to carry either Propane or Gasoline inside either the R-Pod or our Escape. The total weight on the back is well under FR's stated 150 lb limit. The spare tire rode well in its new location, and the luggage rack on the back was a great addition. Unfortunately, it is a little too short to carry the poles for our awning. We still carry those inside the R-Pod in a bag my wife had made years ago to carry a tent and poles. It is a little short, so she has promised to make one more suited for the length of the awning poles. Big smile

Edit: To anticipate what some may be thinking, even though we hit some serious bumps on our trip, the luggage carrier did not sag or shift. The contents rode securely. and the whole arrangement proved to be quite useful.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
JGMM_BC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JGMM_BC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 7:45am
Originally posted by StephenH

This is one that I just finished. I was looking at commercial slide-out covers, and decided I did not want to pay that much. Since my wife has a lot of sewing equipment, including an industrial strength Juki, I thought I would try my hand at making one. The first step was to figure out what I could use for the rail to attach it. I remembered how my parents' trailer had an awning that used a rope. I looked at what I had on hand, and after a couple of attempts, I found some that was of a good quality and the correct diameter to slide into the rail.The next step was to find some suitable fabric. We have a store called "Mill Outlet Village" near us. I found some urethane coated rip-stop fabric that seemed heavy-duty enough for the task. I purchased enough of it for the length of the slide-out plus a little extra.Third was to cut the fabric. I found a place to lay it out and used a rotary cutter to cut the length I wanted and cut the width wide enough to allow for both the rope to be sewn in and to allow for a double-folded seam on the outer edge, wide enough for grommets to be installed plus a little extra. It was good that I did, as I later needed that extra space.The fabric was cut and the rope sewn in to the distance between the rain gutter ends. The cut allowed the installation, but extra fabric was left for folding the side seams. It turns out I had left a little too much, so I later had to undo some stitching and re-cut and re-fold one end to get the length right.After installing grommets, I used rope and bungee cords to attach the cover to the slide-out. Initally, the outer edge was not stiff enough. I solved that by getting some fiberglass marker poles and copper tubing. The poles were cut so that end-to-end, they are a little wider than the cover. The copper tube was cut and glued to the middle segment on both ends. The two outer pieces slide into the other end of the tube to make one long, strong, flexible pole that fits in the folded fabric with the grommets. Now for a couple of pictures.The fiberglass pole was added after this picture was taken. I will have to get a good shot of it to post later. I also realized with this short a slide-out, the bungee cords and rope on the two ends was not needed, as this isn't wide enough for wind to be a problem.Edit: Here is a shot with the poles inserted. The poles are 3 solid fiberglass marking stakes like those used for driveways, etc. I got them at Lowes. The end two are full-length. The center one is cut to a suitable length. Copper tubing is glued to both ends of the center rod. The two end rods slide into this ferrule to make one longer stiff rod which was fed through an opening in each end. It really makes a difference, keeping the cover tight and allowing any water to drain better.

How do you attach it to the pod above the slide-out? Could you take a close-up picture of this area?

Thanks
Jean-Guy & Jennifer
2017 RP-180 "Lilly"
2010 Mitsubishi Outlander
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 11:16am
The rope I sewed into the top side and the fabric with it slide into the keder rail. I have to work it around the rain gutter spout on the end and into the "C" shaped section. Once I get it started, my wife pulls on the rope while I continue to feed the fabric into the track until it is in place. Then I adjust the other end to get it around the spout. This is done before extending the slide-out.

I'll try to get a close-up picture, but I won't be putting the cover on for a while since we don't have any trips planned. The rail is essentially the same as that on the other side, except it is smaller. In the meantime, if you right-click one of the pictures, you should be able to save it to your computer. Then use your image viewing program to open the picture and zoom in on it. You should be able to get a pretty clear view of the end.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
jglynn55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jglynn55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 1:37pm
Has anyone checked under the long dinette bench seat. What is under there? Is there any room for storage? rpod 179.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 58>