R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 58>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 5:32pm
I did get a new "floor joist" fabricated
I added 16" on both sides to give more support for the kitchen area. I paid the welder $75 for labor and materials.
I installed it today with help from Laura, a couple of jacks and lots of grunting and groaning.
The white pipe is 6"pvc that we store aluminum poles for the tarp.  The pipe location made it difficult, so I had to remove the pipe, install the joist  and then reinstall the pipe.
thanks to all of the guys that started the floor reinforcement .
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 6:59pm
Looks good. I'm not sure whether the side pieces are needed, but it looks good and it will be interesting to compare notes after the braces have been in for a while.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Pod People

I did get a new "floor joist" fabricated
I added 16" on both sides to give more support for the kitchen area. I paid the welder $75 for labor and materials.
I installed it today with help from Laura, a couple of jacks and lots of grunting and groaning.

Interesting, looks great. Tell me how did you attach it to the frame? Self tapping screws? Or?

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 9:08pm
I used self taping screws-the auto parts place called them "frame screws".  They drew up tight and seemed to have a good thread bite.
I don't know if the extra 2 legs are worthwhile, but I knew they wouldn't hurt.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 9:38pm
I used stainless steel self-drilling/self-tapping screws which are the same type that the factory uses for the tank cross-members. I purchased them at Lowe's. They are #14 x 1"
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 8:46am
Standard floor live load for residential buildings is 40 lbs per square foot and the deflection design limit is 1/360 of the length. If you use those numbers and want the reinforcing beam to carry all the load (assume the existing floor does nothing at all) then a 2 x 2 x 0.083 inch square tube will do the job. 

The outriggers are a good idea assuming we're not counting on the floor itself doing much, or you could run two 2 x 2 x 0.63 tubes. That's getting to be pretty thin steel though so I think the outrigger might be better and lighter. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 10:52am
Update on the axle modification:  Adding the angle iron to the axle does appear to have been successful in helping keep the axle from losing camber. We have not had long trips due to SAARS-CoV2 but we are going to be making one soon. It will be a real test over about a month and many miles. I saw the topic of axle reinforcements come up so I thought I would provide this update. Another will follow our upcoming trip. 

Also, the floor reinforcement seems to be doing the job. Even though it does not have the arms some have used, just having that one bar across is making the floor feel much more solid.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:57pm
The CO/LP detector in our RPod finally reached its end of life. Since we could not have it beeping loudly every minute or so, it was time to replace it. One thing about the model installed was that it was possibly the worst choice of units to install. I lost count of how many times I knocked it off the wall bracket. The model was SAFE-T-ALERT 25-741. I was looking at replacing it with the same model when I came across the SAFE-T-ALERT Model 35-742-BL Flush Mount. I ordered it and it arrived today.

The original had the wires running through a hole in the wall. The 35-742 requires a rectangular hole. The majority of the unit sits in this hole and only the face plate is there. It is not flush, but it is nearly so since it only sits about 1/8" out from the wall. I made a template for placement and traced the shape after verifying that there were not objects that would be damaged when I cut the hole. A multi-tool made short work of that and after connecting the wires, the unit started up. After the 10 minute warm-up, I tested it and it is functioning normally.

I really like that I do not need to worry about knocking this one off the wall. It also looks much better. If anyone is needing to replace the CO/LP detector, I would recommend you consider this unit. It costs more than the surface-mount unit, but having it out from under foot is well worth the additional cost.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 9:05am
It is ironic that most of the mods are efforts to fix the poor design and craftsmanship of the original manufacturing.  I wonder if FR ever takes these mods into consideration when they design their products?
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 10:34am
Originally posted by lostagain

It is ironic that most of the mods are efforts to fix the poor design and craftsmanship of the original manufacturing.  I wonder if FR ever takes these mods into consideration when they design their products?
Darn good question. My suspicion is that they (and other manufacturers) are riding the wave of demand currently underway. Make hay while the sun shines and all that. Come 2023, the bottom may very well drop out.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 58>