R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 58>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 8:19am
Here are the calcs and graphs for the case of a uniformly loaded beam supported at one end (the hitch) and overhanging  the support at the other end (the axle). The uniform loading is a rough approximation for our trailers but isn't probably too far off. There will be additional point loads due to the wdh and the batteries that will tend to make the hitch/box area worse. Look at the moment diagram, that represents the bending stress on the frame. 

You can see that there are two locations where the frame is likely to bend, one up (axle) and one down (box/tongue). There are also points in front of the axle and right at the hitch and far aft end of the trailer with essentially no bending moments, no need for reinforcement in those areas. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 12:44pm
Which end is which? I'm not sure how to read the picture.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Mirado View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mirado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 10:03am
Stephen - I see when you posted the mod for the sagging outboard floor under the slideout - I am wondering when you actually performed this mod and how well it is working out after use.  My slideout has been rubbing across the top of the fender, and I thought maybe my slideout needed adjustment...but after seeing your mod, I examined the outboard flooring and I see there is some slight sagging there - not a lot, but certainly enough to cause the symptom I have.  I am seriously considering doing a similar fix in my case.

Did you install your braces at the extreme ends of the slideout, or space them inward a bit?

Doug
Miriam and Doug
2015 Rpod 181G
Silverado 1500
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 1:19pm
I did not have the scraping across the fender, but I did notice a bit of sag. I wanted to catch it before it got worse. I only did this modification just prior to posting it, so the date on the posting detailing this mod is right on. We have not had a chance to get it out on the road yet to test it, but I expect it will work well for keeping the floor from sagging. I raised the side up to level it out as best I could before putting them in place so my floor is pretty level right now. For that, I used both a floor jack and a 15 ton bottle jack with long boards to spread the stress and placed the boards just inboard of the cover trim and raised it up. I ended up then moving the bottle jack to under the outriggers one at a time as I was installing them and raising them up to also help push the floor up before attaching them to the frame rail.

Placement was determined in part on avoiding the black and gray water drains. Placement ended up being 15" from the front edge of the slide-out flange for one and 31" from the back edge of the slide-out flange for the rear one, or one on each side of the axle. The picture should give you a visualization of this.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 5:56am
Originally posted by StephenH

Which end is which? I'm not sure how to read the picture.

Sorry, just saw this question. The left end is the hitch and the right end is the back of the trailer. The beam is being supported at the left/hitch end and a point towards the right end. That point represents the axle.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 7:20am
Okay. So R1 is the hitch and R2 is the axle. Thanks.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 8:08am
Yep, and if you want to check beam bending stress yourself you can use this calculator to find the section modulus about the x-x axis for the 4x2x0.1 tubes. Should be about 1.2 in^3.

Then bending stress is M/S. Check both M1 and M2. Yield for mild steel is generally taken to be 36ksi. Don't forget to divide by 2 (two beams) but also multiply by at least 2, preferably 3, for bump loads. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 10:51am
I think I will skip that for now. I am studying to take a Technician Class Amateur Radio License exam this coming Saturday. That is priority for right now.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 11:52am
Originally posted by StephenH

I think I will skip that for now. I am studying to take a Technician Class Amateur Radio License exam this coming Saturday. That is priority for right now.

Stephen, I know this is totally off the subject (so please everyone forgive me) but who in your area is doing examinations now??? I know my club FARC, Forsyth Amateur Radio Club out of Winston Salem is no longer testing due to the Covid 19 virus along with all the other radio clubs in the surrounding counties. Good luck on the test, its pretty easy with mostly just rules and regulations, for the technical license. If you ever hear the call sign on air of KN4VBT that's me! I really need to get my extra license so I can get a one by three call sign but without anyone locally giving the test and being so busy repairing vintage radios don't have time now to the little I need to get the license. 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Yep, and if you want to check beam bending stress yourself you can use this calculator to find the section modulus about the x-x axis for the 4x2x0.1 tubes. Should be 2.4 in^4.

Offgrid, you must be a structural engineer or have a deep background in engineering? I read your post and looked over the formula you posted a link to but sadly it all looks like Greek to me. I would seriously like to "beef" up my trailer tongue since I added dual gas tanks and a tool box to enclose the battery and storage on the tongue. What I'd like to see is someone who has done this mod, what size steel they used and where is all welded on the frame, ect? I'd also like to see about the possibility of adding a rear cargo carrying storage and keep the hitch receptacle for the spare tire and tie the storage tray to the frame.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 58>