R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 58>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 4:22pm
I used a standard 30amp Rv female receptacle and waterproof cover on the trailer end  that is wired to the controller. I attached a standard 30amp male end to the solar panels with mc-4 connectors. There is a 30 amp fuse between the controller and the batteries.
here is a picture of the 25' power cord with the entire system. you can see the 30 amp female receptacle located on the pod  frame at the front next to the A frame-the male end of the 25' power cord is plugged here

here is a picture of the spliced 30 amp male plug end using mc 4 connectors to the solar panels-the female end of the 25' cord is plugged into the collectors

here is a picture of all of the materials used
As others have noted, I have used 120v AC connectors mixed in with 12vdc connections which is NOT standard practice.Also note that different from these pictures, my current installation is on our newer 179 and not the older 173 as shon and also the fuse has been moved to inside the cargo area to be waterproof.
I hope this helps
Vann 

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 8:01pm
I would not want to use the AC connectors and since I am using my 120V cords, would not want to use one for that purpose either. As I wrote earlier, it is moot since I purchased the 20' extension set. I just need to tie them together. I just bought a bag of zip-ties from Harbor Freight. They should work for the purpose. I will get some connectors that can handle the repeated plugging and unplugging to use in place of at least some of the ones that are not meant for repeated use.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 9:37pm
I decided to go with the same connectors and boots. I will replace some of the other connectors so that I can have a reliable quick-disconnect for the wiring. Thank you for the information.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 6:05am
Anderson makes good stuff, it handles high currents, can be booted, is polarized so you can’t reverse polarity accidentally, and can’t be confused with other ac or dc connectors on the trailer. What more can you ask for?
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 7:55am
Originally posted by offgrid

Anderson makes good stuff, it handles high currents, can be booted, is polarized so you can’t reverse polarity accidentally, and can’t be confused with other ac or dc connectors on the trailer. What more can you ask for?
A more reasonable price from Anderson? I could not find any other source for the boots. Four of them (2 source, 2 load) cost me $21.45 ($14.96 plus $6.49 shipping). OTOH, I purchased the two pairs of connectors for $10.90 with Prime (no charge for shipping) and tax of $0.79. I will have to pay the use tax for the boots on next year's state tax return, so I don't get to skip the tax there, nor on any other of my online purchases where tax is not charged.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
geewizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote geewizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 8:13am
Glad you find the Anderson connector info useful.

Regarding using cable ties, what I did to avoid them was to lay out my two conductors on the lawn then twist them together.  Not tightly but about one twist per foot.  They work for me that way WITH MY CABLE.

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 9:01am
Instead of cable ties, you might consider a wire loom (like this). It will keep the wires together and not tend to get caught up on things. Maybe wrap some tape or shrink wrap every 4 feet or so.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:53pm
If the wire loom were not split and if it were more flexible, I might consider that. The problem with shrink tubing is that it is hard to fit over existing connectors. If I were working from just the wires, it would work. I ended up going with the cable ties every couple of feet. I found that I can fit the 25' extension cord in the space behind the panels with no problem.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 9:52am
There is also the spiral wound wire loom like this. You could just use a 12" section of it every few feet. I kind of like it because it is easy to remove without cutters.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 3:54pm
I saw the spiral wound loom and did not like it.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 58>