R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 58>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by StephenH

After thinking about it and realizing that the travel we have done with dual 6V GC2 batteries puts a lot of stress on the A frame (The batteries together weigh about 120 lbs.), and seeing that prices on LiFePO4 batteries are coming down from the stratosphere, I decided that it was time to convert from the GC2 batteries to an LiFePO4 battery. The two batteries I have are 215AH batteries. Since they are flooded cell, I effectively have a little over 100AH of usable power. I was researching batteries, thinking I would purchase a Battle Born 100AH LiFePO4 battery, but they are still over $900. (Battle Born will give a military discount if anyone wants to purchase from them.). I came across a listing on Amazon for an Expert Power battery. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X4Z8FML/ This battery has some pretty good specs and like the Battle Born battery, has an expected 10 year lifetime. The current price is $789.99. I happened to hit it when a coupon code was available, so I paid less. 

Things seem to be changing rapidly. I recently learned of another source for LiFePO batteries through Alibaba. If you're comfortable with Alibaba, these 1280 Wh batteries can be bought as samples for about $320.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 1:51pm
Interesting, but I already have my battery installed. This might be a good source for anyone else looking for an inexpensive battery. However, warranty might be an issue with one of these if it comes in DOA.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 3:52pm
Okay. This one is a modification to one of my modifications. I got the Camco dual propane tank cover for the single to dual propane tank modification. Right away, I noticed a problem. With the Stromberg-Carlson Trailer Tray, I do not have enough room to put the assembled cover on and remove it. To use it and access the tanks, I need to be able to separate the two halves and reassemble them. Rather than having to deal with separate nuts and machine screws, I decided to take an idea I read about that was used previously and use threaded rivets (AKA nutsert) in one half so that I only have to deal with the machine screws.

I purchased the tool at Harbor Freight. One issue is that it comes with 10 8-32 threaded rivets. Amazon to the rescue. I ordered a batch of 100 8-32 threaded rivets so I have plenty for other projects. These are Aluminum. I do not know if the tool would be strong enough for stainless steel or other metal rivets. Most likely, it wouldn't be.

These got inserted into the half that will be toward the trailer (also the side I modified to remove the hump so it will clear the front of the RPod). Now, I only have to deal with the machine screws. There is  still the risk of dropping one or more, but I can keep some spares on hand. Now my tanks are protected from road hazards and I can get to them to change tanks as needed.

Also, I had the center cover hinge angle break, so I drilled a hole and a wire tie now serves the purpose of the hinge there. The two sides are original, but if they break, they will get the same treatment.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 9:41pm
Wow I'm impressed with all your mods. The ladder mod is a great idea. Cleaning debris from the slideout is always a problem for me. What ladder do you use?
Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 10:09pm
This is the one I have:  GP Logistics SLDS6 Ladder. I bought it used. There is also a double-sided ladder for not much more. If I were buying it new, I would get the double-sided one.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 6:55am
Interesting, I didnt realize they made a ladder that would fold like that. I've seen the telescoping ladders but that didn't seem like there was a good way to pack it away but your folding ladder is the way to go. Thanks for sharing.

Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 10:14am
Latest mod: I've gone solar. I purchased a Renogy Eclipse 100W 12V Folding Solar Panel Suitcase RV Off Grid Battery Charger. It arrived today. It has a case for protection while traveling. It did not have much padding so I added some of the thin foam sheets that protected my LiFePO4 battery while it was in shipment. I haven't tried it yet, so I will post more once I have the opportunity to test it.

Edit: I realized that the alligator clips with fuse that was supposed to be included in the order are missing. I have sent a message to Renogy so that this oversight can be remedied. In the meantime, this puts a kink in my plans to test this panel.
Edit: I contacted Renogy and the missing cable with fuse and alligator clips will be sent and should be here in about a week.
Edit: I feel stupid! The black bag containing the alligator clips fell behind another black bag so I could not see it when I looked for it. I had to move the one bag, and there is was! The ones Renogy sent are on the way back.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 4:51pm
you will love this system and wonder why you didn't do it sooner! We have used a Renogy system for 3 years and it keeps our 2 6v Gc batteries charged. It is simple and effective.
We set up the angle  at night before we go to bed. It will start getting direct sun before you even get up in the morning. then adjust the angle before you leave for the days activity and readjust when you get back.  Occasionally, We had to add  blocks under the arms to get the angle we wanted.
good luck
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 8:21pm
Thanks for the advice. Do you use the Zamp connector? If so, did you have to use a gender reverser? I got a cable to convert from MC4 to the SAE connectors if I decide to use the Zamp connector. It also came with a gender reverser. It looks like I will need to get an extension cable also. I don't plan on using the alligator clips so I might change them out for something I can connect into the wiring harness at the front of the RPod since the battery cables are heavier gauge than the Zamp wiring.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 7:32am
Ho long an extension cable do you want to make? You will need some reasonably heavy gauge conductors to keep the voltage drop down if it’s very long. For a single 100 watt module I’d use 10 gauge up to 40 feet, 8 AWG above that. The Zamp conductors needs to be counted as part of that distance so it’s probably better just not to use them if you want to run very long.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 58>