R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 58>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 2:00pm
The only way the trailer's power could go to the battery is through the converter now. Formerly, it would have been more direct but while the original battery connections are live (I needed to power the jack), the actual current battery connections are though the power center. I don't even know if it will charge via the vehicle at this point. That is something i need to test when I get a chance.

Except for waiting on the extension cable for the monitor and mounting it in its final location, the installation is done. Here are some pictures:

First, the battery:

And, as mounted in the compartment I had made (see prior messages):

You can see both the battery cut-off switch and the sensor for the battery monitor. Here is a closer view of the sensor:

This is the monitor in the box:

And in operation:

This was after the converter started reducing the charging current. The initial charging voltage was closer to 14.6V

I also blocked in the battery so it wont slid around in the compartment. I am waiting on an extension cable for the meter. Once that arrives, I will install the meter in its final location.

Why put the cut-off switch in with the battery? Simple. I wanted the installation to be reversible. That means that I did not want to drill an extra hole for the switch in a visible part of the cabinet. If and when we sell our R-Pod, I plan on taking the battery and accessories with us to install on whatever model replaces this one.

The two 6V batteries are currently sitting on the deck. I'm not sure what to do with them. Most likely, I will take them to Batteries + where I bought them and get the core charge back that I paid in 2015.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by offgrid

If so you might be fine with only an isolator relay disconnect between the trailer and the tv. You need something to keep from dumping the Li battery charge back into the tv battery when the alt isn’t charging, because the Li battery stays at a higher voltage than the lead acid battery doesrpm before you decide what to buy. As long as you keep a close eye on everything while testing you should be . You could connect up and see what kind of charge currents and voltages and alternator temps you get at idle and at 3000ok.

This has been an interesting discussion between offgirid and StephenH with his Li battery modification. I'm very much looking forward to seeing photos of the Li battery installation and the associated modifications that you have done StephenH. Much easier to follow when you can visualize something, right. As for any worries of tv alternator or its lead acid battery back-feeding to the new Pod's Li batteries have you thought of something as simple as a diode in line to prevent such happening?
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 7:04pm
I was editing the message to add pictures when you posted. No, I had not thought of a diode. How would one go about installing one and where would it go?
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:23pm
A diode would go in the +12v line from the tv battery, allowing current flow only toward the trailer. I had an old class a RV I set up like that.

But I wouldn’t at this point. There will be a voltage drop across the diode which might make it hard to get the Li battery fully charged and StephenH has already determined that his 12v line to the tv is disconnected when the ignition is off. So, backfeeding isn’t likely to happen anyway except for a few seconds while starting the tv engine. If it turns out that isn’t the case, or the Li battery is drawing too much current from the alternator, or is overcharging then that would be a good time to add a diode into the circuit.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by StephenH

I was editing the message to add pictures when you posted. No, I had not thought of a diode. How would one go about installing one and where would it go?

If my recollection is correct you were concerned about having current flow from your tv alternator to the trailer and then into you new battery and its controller, yes??? If so I would believe you put a diode in line at your trailer side of the connector it would stop all back flow of current. Google it, a diode is in sense just a one way valve and only allows current to flow in one direction. Hope this helps in some small way?

Nice photos you posted and if you have a photo editor program maybe you can print details on your photos? Just a suggestion.....
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:09pm
I use the GIMP to crop and resize the photos. I could add annotations to the photos and highlight details, but I haven't so far. I may start doing that. I'm going to skip the diode for now and see how it behaves. We may have to make a short trip so I can test it, but that won't be until after I can safely dewinterize the water system. Another reason for this was that we travel with a full fresh water tank, so eliminating 90 lbs of battery weight is a good thing.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 11:00am
Yes, annotations to your photos would be very helpful to everyone who views and tries to follow your mods such as the Li-battery. The diode is only a suggestion just in case you find out you have a problem with back flow of current. I can more then understand your desire to loose weight since you must do allot of boon-docking camping and in my opinion the tongue of trailers is not as strong as allot of people wish. Though I do question why you travel with your fresh water tank full? It has been my experience that even primitive Federal or State campgrounds they have water available and if your hesitant about drinking it just carry a few gallon jugs of known fresh portable water.
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 12:02pm
Many times when we are on the way somewhere, we stay at Walmarts, Cracker Barrel, or similar places that have no hookups. We are planning on heading toward Alaska this year. When we leave, I fill the tank with known quality water so we have a source we can trust.Edit: We do boondock a lot in this sense. We have used our R-Pod for travel, not for just going to a destination to stay, so we need the water supply to travel with us if we are going to be on the road for several days. We've been across the US 3 times which is 5 days each way.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 5:14pm
I do a lot of dispersed camping in the national forests, as well as use State and federal primitive campgrounds. Most of my favorites have no water, some have hand pumps, and one or two have pressure water but no way to attach a hose to the faucet. After having to drag the trailer out to find water a couple of times, now I just fill the fresh water tank as a matter of course so I don’t have to worry about it.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
geewizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote geewizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 7:21am
Originally posted by offgrid

I do a lot of dispersed camping in the national forests, as well as use State and federal primitive campgrounds. Most of my favorites have no water, some have hand pumps, and one or two have pressure water but no way to attach a hose to the faucet. After having to drag the trailer out to find water a couple of times, now I just fill the fresh water tank as a matter of course so I don’t have to worry about it.

Likewise here.  Always.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 58>