R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 58>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 9:34am
Thank you. I will check out fuses and breakers to see if I can find a suitable one (preferably, a breaker). The converter is rated for 50A, so I think I would need something a little larger. I can find 60A or 80A, but no 75A, so I think the 60A would be the better choice.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:00am
Ok, I took a look at the battle born isolator. It looks like it tries to keep the things from overheating by switching on and off at 15-20 minute intervals. I’m not sure I could get comfortable with that kind of operation.
Check out this video as an example of what could go wrong:

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2019/10/07/careful-alternator-charging-lithium/

My thought has been to isolate the two systems using a dc dc converter with an adjustable output current Then I would set the output current so that the alt didn’t overheat at idle by using my ir thermometer.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:28am
The Nissan has a variable voltage system for the alternator already. I am not sure how that impacts the situation that the video demonstrates.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 11:15am
The 60A fuse or cb sounds fine to me.

Not sure how the Nissan’s alternator control system works. Most of them are internally regulated to 14.4V max. If your voltage drop is enough on the conductors running to your trailer connector that will limit how much current can flow to the Li battery. If so you might be fine with only an isolator relay disconnect between the trailer and the tv. You need something to keep from dumping the Li battery charge back into the tv battery when the alt isn’t charging, because the Li battery stays at a higher voltage than the lead acid battery does. You could connect up and see what kind of charge currents and voltages and alternator temps you get at idle and at 3000 rpm before you decide what to buy. As long as you keep a close eye on everything while testing you should be ok.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 1:24pm
From what I have seen, it appears that the Nissan Frontier does disconnect the electrical supply when the ignition is off. I'm not 100% sure if that applies to the 12V supply, but the brake supply does cut off when the TV's lights go off. It is a rainy day today, so I will wait for dry weather to go out and verify.

Edit: It stopped raining so I went out and verified that when the engine is off, the 12V supply from the Frontier is also off. Now, whether that will hold true when I get the battery installed remains to be seen. For now, it looks like I won't have to worry about backfeed draining the new battery.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 5:16pm
That's good. You still need to be sure you don't overload the alternator when charging, and that the Li battery actually gets charged but not overcharged. I think you should be able to test that manually as long as you're careful. I suggest starting with a partially discharged Li battery and see how much current is drawn at idle and what the temp goes to in your alt.  Then let the battery fully charge and be sure you don't exceed its max voltage rating. If everything looks good then you can probably avoid buying an isolator or dc/dc converter.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 6:54pm
According to the manufacturer, the battery's management system will cut off voltage if it goes too high or too low. I have asked for more specific details on the BMS.
Edit
From the data sheet:
Voltage:
Charging:  Voltage greater than or equal to 14.8V - Delay 1~2s; Recovery - Less than or equal to 14V or discharge greater than 4A.
Discharging:  Voltage less than or equal to 9.5V, Delay 1~2S; Recovery - Voltage greater than or equal to 12.0V or Charge greater than 4A.

It looks like charging can take place between 32F and 140F; discharging between -4F and 140F. The temperature sensor of the BMS cuts out at greater than or equal to 178F and recovers at less than or equal to 149F

I do have a Southwire clamp-on DC Ammeter. Once I get things set up, I will connect that and see what it reads for vehicle charging and compare that to what the battery monitor I purchased reads. That will give me a better idea of what the vehicle is trying to supply and whether the alternator will be in any danger.

Edit
I contacted Battle Born about their Lithium Battery Isolation Module, LI225. The response was that given that we are using the 7-pin connector, it is likely not needed as the wire size will limit the current flow. If I were to create a custom charging situation, then I would want to use the LiBIM.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 7:37am
The bms will self protect the battery but shouldn’t be depended on to provide day to day charge regulation. Think of it as a backup system. Unlike a lead acid battery, Li batteries will last longer if not charged to 100% SOC, so 14.8V is too high anyway.

Yes, what Battle Born is saying is consistent, you pobably have enough series resistance in the 12V trailer feed so excessive charge current is not a problem. You should also have a 30A breaker in that line already, right? Do you have an ir thermometer to check alt temp while you’re testing?
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 7:50am
Yes, I do have an IR thermometer. The battery circuit of the WFCO 8955 power center does have the two 40A fuses in the reverse polarity protection location. I would think these also would serve the purpose. I have the 60A breaker on order per our previous messages.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:23am
The 40a fuses will limit the current flow to the trailer battery to 40a if the circuit from the tv goes through them, I’ve never checked to see if that’s the case. But you should still have a fuse or cb in line on the +12V conductor near the tv battery in case there is ever a fault on the conductors to the 7 pin connector. Those are usually 10awg so a 30a cb is appropriate. The aftermarket kits like I have from etrailer have you install that cb on the vehicle body just near the battery.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 58>