R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 58>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 3:25pm
Looking good. I think this is among the simplest, yet still effective axle reinforcements.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
podwerkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote podwerkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 3:37pm
Looks good and strong!

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 5:03pm
I'm looking forward to testing it. It will be interesting to compare the costs of the various reinforcing methods vs. the effectiveness of them.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 5:26pm
Nice work StephenH.  I'm sure you'll let us know how it works out. But, if not, we'll pester you until you do.  Wink
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 5:28pm
Stephen, Your axle brace if it works like you and I think it will looks to be a simple solution. My question is how did you determine the amount of bend in the piece of V angle iron? Also is it possible that you took a photo of how you bent this angle iron because honestly I kind of scratched my head when you described how you accomplished it? As just a suggestion, it would be great and very helpful if you could draw up a construction diagram of your brace, with dimensions,  and post it for others to copy.   
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 9:27pm
Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of the bending process. I will try to describe it better.

First, how did I determine the amount of bend? Simple. I tried to duplicate the bend in the axle. Since it is new and the only road mileage is that between the dealer's shop where it was installed and home, I figured that it is as close to ideal as I could find. When I ran a string from one end of the axle to the other (at the bottom points), the measurement between the string and the axle in the center was 3/8".

I had originally thought to weld the tabs on and use straight bolts. I realized that I could not trust my welds to not break under the stress. If I had a more powerful welder, I might have been more confident in my work. The tabs on the ends of the brace are not needed, but since I had already welded them on, I decided to use them to aid in placement of the U bolts. The critical parts are the top brackets. I would not trust my welds there either except these are being compressed and should not be under the same stress as the tabs would have been.

The main piece was cut 77-1/2 inches to start. At the end, I needed to cut about 1/8" off each end to keep it fro extending too far and interfering with the arms. As stated, I placed this on blocks with the legs down so it was like an inverted V. I had wrapped the chain around from end-to-end. The jacking block was placed on the top of the inverted V in the center. I had cut it to fit the angel. The block provided a flat place to hold the bottle jack. I raised the jack to push down the center and pull up the ends, making sure the chain was in the center of the ends (peak of the inverted V). This was to make sure it did not pull off-center and crooked. I'll try to post a sketch soon.

Edit: Hopefully, this will make it clearer.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 6:53am
StephenH, what you've done looks good. 

The only concern I have is that looking at the photo it looks like the upper clamp portion doesn't have much clearance from the torque arm. 

As a reminder, the center clamp is not needed from a structural viewpoint. OTOH it doesn't hurt anything to have it there. 

The same type of chain and bottle jack approach could be used to attempt to straighten an axle as well, but I would keep the angle between the part being bent/straightened and the chain to around 45 degrees. The shallower the angle the more stress that needs to be applied to the chain to achieve the same bending force. At 45 degrees its 1.4X, and 30 degrees its 2X and at 22 degrees its 3X. Blocking could be used to lengthen the jack and increase the angle if needed. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 7:57am
The clearance was my concern as well. I will look at it again and if I think it might interfere, I will take it off and cut a little off to make sure. I had seen one YouTube video of a shop using a chain and hydraulic ram to bend an axle, although I think it was on a leaf-spring suspension. That's what gave me the idea to try it for my brace. I tried to match the capacity of the chain to the capacity of the bottle jack. I definitely would not have wanted to try out a chain with lesser capacity.

I know you said the center clamp is not needed, but I feel better having it there. It was also helpful when mounting the reinforcement.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 8:21am
I saw that video too. Note that they kept the chain to axle angle at about 45 degrees. The reinforcement angle is easier to bend than the axle tube so for what you did its fine. If someone wanted to use that technique to recamber an axle then I'd suggest a wider angle and a chain at least 3x the capacity of the jack. 

Re the center clamp, as they used to say back in the '60's, if it feels good, do it!Big smile
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote podwerkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 2:28pm
For future reference, wouldn't it be easier to leave the angle stock straight, and then simply weld in an angled 'shim' in the middle of the length?

This shim would apply the upward pressure on the factory axle tube, and the angle will still remain more or less straight along the length from end to end. 

Just thinking it might be easier for someone else who is wanting to strengthen the axle tube. 

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 58>