R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 58>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 20 May 2019 at 2:11pm
One other thing I have seen done is to remove the closet rod and add shelves. My wife did not want that, but I found a shelf at our ReStore (I think--might have been Goodwill) that is the same type as the one above the bed, but shorter. I thought that it would be good for the wardrobe.

Turns out it was good for length, but the width was too wide. I did some measuring and marked off a line on the slats and cut them. Then I knocked the short stubs out of the one channel and cleaned out the old glue. Using carpenter's glue, I glued the side piece on the slats and it was now the right width, almost.  I had to notch out the ends of the side pieces to fit around the molding inside the wardrobe. Turns out I only needed to notch both on side-wall end but only one on the door end. I set it so that the top of the shelf was 7" above the floor which is just the distance my wife needs to stow a couple of her bags. There is still room to hang shirts but not long coats. They would travel on a rod in the truck if we need to carry them.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 3:34pm
Looks nice StephenH, but boy, I would be doing any thing like that without getting my wife to agree.  Colombian women have very, very long memories.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 8:35pm
I may have mis-stated it. My wife was in favor of adding the divider/shelf as long as the closet rod remained so she could hang things up. I don't know how much weight the shelf would carry. It is more of a divider so she can put things below it without having to move shirts and things out of the way. The picture does not show the rod that is above where the picture cuts off.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 10:03pm
It's always best to get one's wife's approval.  The more they like their Pod, the more they will go camping with you.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 8:58am
We removed the rod in the wardrobe and added wire shelves for clothing storage.  We added a rod in the bathroom for hanging clothes.

the rod is easily removable if we want to use the shower.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:37am
We have been talking about switching our "wardrobe closet" into a closet with shelves (like Vann & Laura's). We've never been able to utilize the space when hanging clothes, so we think it's time to bite the bullet and go the shelf route.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 3:21pm
The standard wire closet shelving at the big box stores is what we used.  However, it is a little bit narrow for the width.   As you can see from the pictures, we added a piece of 2x2 to the left edge of the shelves and they fit perfectly. The 2x2 was well sanded and rounded corners so as to not snag on our clothes.

If you want more pictures or close-ups, let me know in a personal email

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 3:54pm
If you can find the short Allan and Roth shelves (or a longer one that you can cut to lengths), it was fairly easy to modify it to fit the closet. Plus, it looks pretty good in there and it is light in weight.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 8:49pm
After spending a hefty sum of money to replace an axle that had lost its camber (out of warranty and Lippert did not offer to replace it like some have reported), I wanted to do something to help prevent this from happening again. This is my version of axle reinforcement. It is a work in progress and I will post further pictures when it is done.

Materials:  77.5" long 3" x 3" x 3/16" steel angle
                    I pack of miscellaneous lengths of steel square tubing, angles, etc. sold as a welding practice pack
                    1 3" length of 1.5" x 3/16" flat steel stock.
                    3 1/2" x 4" x 6-1/2" U bolts, washers, and nylock nuts.

Tools:  Harbor Freight wire-feed welder with auto-darkening face shield and various welding tools.
             Harbor Freight angle grinder with cutting and grinding disks.
             Drill and assorted drill bits
             Files, flat and round
             Gloss Black Krylon Fusion All in One Paint and Primer
             Some miscellaneous rags, denatured alcohol, etc.
             Logging chain rated at 2,600+  lbs
             12 ton rated bottle jack

The first challenge was in figuring out how to put the proper bend in the axle reinforcement so that it would not be trying to reduce the camber of my new axle. Thankfully, my Dad gave me one item that would prove to be the key. That is, a 12 ton capacity bottle jack. I figured that if I could brace the angle somehow, the jack would be able to bend it. My first attempt was using the underside of my deck and some wood blocks. This succeeded in bending the iron, but started to lift the deck before the iron reached a point where it would not spring back. Back to the drawing board.

My next attempt was to make a V block to fit the angle. I purchased a logging chain rated  at over 2,600 lbs and looped that around the V, connecting the chain in the V so that there was some slack. The steel angle was inverted on wood blocks, then I put the V block in the center and used another block of wood on top of the jack to hold the chain, making sure all was straight so it would pull in a straight line. I raised the jack and it pulled the ends up as I planned. When I reached the limit, I backed off and realized it did not quite get the bend I wanted so I used the screw end of the bottle jack to raise the starting point a couple of inches, then raised the jack again. When I lowered the jack this time, I could see that there was a bend to the reinforcing angle. I measured it, and it was right at where I wanted it.

The next idea was to cut pieces of flat stock to weld to the 3x3 angle and bolt to those. However, my welding skills leave something to be desired. Given the location, I sure did not want my welds to break while we were going down the highway and have the steel fall of an possibly kill someone. Plan A was out. However, since I had already welded tabs on to both ends of the angle but not the middle, I decided to do something different. I had some pieces of 1.5" x 1.5" steel angle in the practice pack along with some square stock. I decided that I would use some of the angle to sit opposite the reinforcing angle and weld the square stock to the angle to give me a piece that would not depend so much on my welds but on the tension of the bolts to hold everything together. I feel safer that way. The tabs I previously welded on will be used for spacing but they will not be holding anything. That will go to the square tubing welded to the angles for the top of the axle. The squares were cut to length and an angle cut out of them so that they fit the 1.5" x 1.5" angle stock pieces I had cut to length. Then the squares were welded to the angle so that they will pull toward the axle when bolted in place.

Here is what the fabricated parts look like:

The two pieces I made with the larger square stock will go on the ends. The one with the smaller bar stock will go in the center. I will be assembling this (hopefully) tomorrow once I get home from an appointment. My V block should also be good for lifting it up to the axle and holding it while I put the U bolts in the ends. Then I can remove the support and put the U bolt in the center.

I may defer installing for a day so I can clean and make sure the axle is painted with no rust spots. If I have to do any painting, that will take some time to dry.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 9:07am
Here is the finished axle reinforcement project:

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 58>