R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 58>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 9:13pm
The latest: Change out mattresses (again). The Zinus 10" memory foam mattress was very comfortable, but heavy and hard to move to get to the valves and the under-bed storage I had made in earlier mods. I decided to change mattresses. The 10" mattress is now in our house. I made a filler cushion 6"x10"x60" and made a cover for it. It fills the extra space at the head of the bed to convert the mattress to a full sized queen.

The first mattress I ordered was a Zinus 6" Gel Memory Foam mattress. Unfortunately, even with a week's time, it would not expand past 4" at the thickest point and 3" at one of the corners. I was able to get a refund for it. Then I purchased a Dreamfoam 6: Chill https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B019EMSP5Q/

This mattress is made in the USA and is apparently, not compressed and rolled until just before shipping. It came in a tall box as the mattress had not been folded in half before compressing and rolling like the Zinus mattress was. It expanded very quickly to the full 6" height.

First impressions: It seemed a bit thin as I felt that it compressed down to let me feel the platform when I sat on it. However, when I lay down on it, it felt more than adequate, firm but not hard. It should be very comfortable. Perhaps not as comfortable as the 10" model, but nearly so.
It is much lighter than the 10" model and it is flexible enough that I should have not problem getting to things.

There was some residual manufacturing odor. However, that should dissipate long before we will be traveling again. I can't speak yet as to if it really sleeps cooler than non-gel memory foam mattresses. That will have to wait until we can use it.

Bottom line: Even though it cost more than the Zinus product, it is still a bargain compared to some of the prices I saw while I was researching this purchase. I think we will be very happy with it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Kahonu37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kahonu37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 4:13am
I am interested in the ladder you aquired on your first trip. Make, model, and height. Looks easy to manage. We have a 2018 179, and need a compact ladder to check out the top of the slider, for debris, before we slide it in.

Thanks
2018 179
2012 NISSAN XTERRA (retired 12/19)
2019 RAM 1500 WARLOCK (new)
A.R.E. V Series Topper
WDH Equalizer 600/6000
Kahonu37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kahonu37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 4:25am
I am interested in the ladder you aquired on “On our first major trip, we stayed at the Desert Eagle RV park on Nellis AFB in Nevada. There was an RV owner selling a collapsible ladder. It was a good price so we bought it”. Make, model, height. It looks easy to manage. We have a 2018 179 an need a manageable ladder to check our slide out for debris prior to sliding it in.

Thanks
2018 179
2012 NISSAN XTERRA (retired 12/19)
2019 RAM 1500 WARLOCK (new)
A.R.E. V Series Topper
WDH Equalizer 600/6000
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 7:40am
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
geewizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote geewizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 8:35am
Originally posted by StephenH

The one I got is like this one:  https://www.amazon.com/GP-Logistics-SLDS6-Ladder/dp/B002PNMMOC/

I bought that one too and it fits inside my storage compartment very well.  Recommended.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:33pm
Time for another mod, this one inspired by Vann (Thanks Vann!):

I saw this mod and had to do it. The location of the water pump in the 179 is not the most practical. In fact, it is strange that the pump is located where it is when there is more than enough room between the furnace and water heater for it. I thought of how to do it and then decided to go for it. First up was to disconnect the tubes from the pump. That was the easy part. Next was disconnecting the wires--also easy--just cut them. Removing the four screws that were holding it to the floor was not hard either. Then came the fun part. The tubes were under the water heater and there was not sufficient clearance to slide the tubes under the heater with the fittings attached. Bright idea #1: cut the fittings off the tubes so they will slide under the water heater. Not so great consequence: how to reattach them. To be covered later.

Now that everything was removed from the previous location, it was not hard to figure out where to put the pump so it would have the intake and output threads exposed for reattaching the tubing. Reattaching the wires was simple as it was just using a couple of new insulated compression fittings to crimp over the wires like they were before. The fun part was about to begin.

I went to my local big-box hardware stores to look at tools. Both Lowe's and HD wanted over $60 for a tool to use with the cinch rings. Okay, how about I go online? I found an IWISS PEX Crimping Tool for $19.99 that was essentially the same thing the local stores carried. I figured it would be hard to justify spending over $60 on a tool that was not going to be needed very often, if at all, after this job is done. $20 was a better choice. I did go down to the store and bought 1/2" rings in anticipation of the tool's arrival. The tool arrived and I went to slide the ring on the tubing only to find out that the 1/2" rings sold at the BB stores were 17.5 mm and the ones that were used by Forest River were 18.5 mm! Stern Smile Back to the BB stores only to find out that neither of them carried 18.5 mm rings. Trips to the Town & Country hardware store was even more disappointing. I even checked the local mom and pop hardware store in town with no better results. Cry Amazon to the rescue! Big smile I ordered 
an Swpeet 120Pcs 8 Sizes 304 Stainless Steel Single Ear Hose Clamps assortment. That arrived today and I was able to reattach the fittings to the tubes and complete the connections to the pump. Thumbs Up

Next was adding water to the tank both to test the fittings for leaks and to dewinterize the system. I turned the pump on and no leaks. Thumbs Up The tank and water lines are in the process of being sanitized. In the morning, I will empty the chlorine water and fill it with some baking soda to remove the residual antifreeze taste and odor.

Sound is not much different than before. It seems to be a good move to do this and it will set things up for a future modification. But for now, it is time for some pictures.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:05pm
Can't see your photos unfortunately!
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Ben Herman

Can't see your photos unfortunately!

Try again. I host my own photos and I had the computer shut down for a bit of maintenance. You should be able to see them now.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 7:30am
Stephen,
I'm glad this worked-and appreciate that you said I inspired you!! You have certainly inspired me and a lot of other Podders with your many improvements and modifications. Thanks!!
One major advantage of this mod is that it gives more storage space under the bed.  Now there is a clear channel all the way across the entire width of the pod for long storage-we keep our RDome there. It could alos be used for anything long-collapsible ladder, fishing poles, etc.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 10:19pm
This is the other modification inspired by Vann. Thumbs Up
One thing the RP179 lacks is full-width storage. When my wife and I visited Vann, he showed me not only the water pump move he had done, but the modification he had made to take advantage of the water pump no longer being in the way. He had made his storage full-width. Thanks to his example, I have now done the same.

I built a frame to go across in front of the water heater, just in front of the gas line going through the floor. This was attached to the side wall, floor, and to the plywood that was dividing the storage area after marking and cutting out the wood to make an opening. I then put a piece of thin lauan plywood to divide the storage area from the water heater area.  I had treated the plywood with a couple of coats of clear polyurethane since it did not have the finish of the other wood lining the storage area. Since I no longer need to use my access hatch to get to where  the water pump used to be, I fastened it down and put another piece of hinge in place to stabilize the bed top when I lift the part needed to get to the utilities section. The only part remaining  to be done is to make a better prop rod for when Iift the bed to get in to the storage areas and utilities.

Now for the pictures:

The long black bag is an Aldi version of a Clam. It would not have fit the bed of the Frontier because that is only 5' . It also would not have fit the previous storage. It needed the full-width storage. It fits the new full-width storage just fine. Big smile I could possibly have made the storage a bit larger, but I had already converted some of the under-bed open space to a storage bin that gets used for linens that fit the dinette area bed, so I did not want to lose that. This is adequate for our needs.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 58>