R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 58>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 9:31am
In a sense, it is self-grounding. The current goes to one igniter and jumps to the burner. Then  the current goes through the stove's body to the other burner and jumps to the other igniter. Then it travels along the wiring back to the piezoelectric's second contact. The battery operated module I put in works similarly. Only on that one, I had to use a short jumper wire between the second set of contacts.
My R-Pod is not here right now so I can't run out and check it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 10:00am
StephenH 

Makes sense thanks for the quick reply, now I just have to do it, trailer is in storage.

Jay
Jay

179/2019
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 1:39pm

V

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 11:27am
Our R-Pod has been at the dealer's for evaluation of the axle, brake issues, and to solve a leak at the slide-out. This is what I received:

Begin quote---------

Estimate for slide leak repairs are around $750 plus tax plus materials to seal it up.

They will remove the exterior slide fascia, the slide gear, track, motor and butyl then scrape off all the old sealant, reinstall butyl, reseal properly then reinstall all the items previously mentioned.  This is a time detailed process which is why there is so much labor involved and we want to make sure it is done correctly.

End quote----------

On top of this are a new brake drum, new brakes, seals, and bearings. I am still waiting for word on the axle. Measurements were sent to LCI, but I have not heard back as to whether it will require an axle replacement.

All in all, this trip to the dealer will be very expensive. So far, I estimate about $2K, most of which is labor. If a new axle is determined to be needed, that will be on top of this.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Subzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Subzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 11:47am
Where was it leaking on the slide?  And why?  I may have missed a previous post.
And what is going on with your brake/axle stuff?
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
Subzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Subzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 11:50am
Never mind the axle explanation....just found the other post about that....
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Subzilla

Where was it leaking on the slide?  And why?  I may have missed a previous post.

I'm not sure if I had posted about it. I had noticed water near the refrigerator. At first, I just cleaned it up and thought it might be just an isolated incident. However, on the trip to the 10th Anniversary rally at the Kentucky MiniMini, it became evident that there was a problem. At the end of our stay, it rained pretty heavily. I noticed water in greater amounts. I removed the panel under the refrigerator and noticed that the water seemed to be coming in along the aluminum channel for the slide-out frame. Also, when I retracted the slide-out, I heard water at the front of the slide-out that sounded like it was running down in the space between the inner and outer seals. I saw water leaking out that appeared to be coming from behind the seal.

When I took the R-Pod to the dealer, I asked them to check. They did so and they said it was leaking. Two options were offered. One was less expensive, but also less extensive. It would have involved probably just adding some caulking. The second for which I opted is detailed in the previous post. I did not know the full details until I received the email. I decided if it was to be repaired, it should be done right so that I won't be revisiting the problem in a year or two.

When we go to pick it up when repairs are complete, I will have them show me what the problem areas were so I can detail them here.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 1:56pm
Stephen,
Very sorry to read about your problems with your Pod. For $750 to replace the rubber seal around the slide out I would be looking for a good independent repair shop to at least get a second opinion and probably save yourself allot of money on that and your axle repair over what your dealership is going to charge. But hindsight is 20/20 so I wish you the best and please keep us informed.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 2:56pm
It isn't just the rubber seal. It sounds like they are removing more than just the rubber seal given the description above. When it was at the factory for repair, I was told they "fixed" a leak they found in the slide-out. Apparently, that was more of a band-aid fix. This should be a permanent fix (I hope).
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 9:20pm
The leak repair definitely was more involved than simply replacing a rubber seal. All in all, the repairs included replacing the axle in addition to new brakes on both sides along with a new hub/drum on the slide-side. Costs were high, but I can think of it as if I divide the costs by the amount of miles I have been with the R-Pod, is is pretty reasonable. Hopefully though I won't have to go through similar repairs again. I am going to evaluate what I carry and where I carry it to reduce the weight I have on the trailer. For example, I may put a box on the Trailer Tray and carry lighter weight accessories there and carry the generator in the bed of the pickup. I will also have to make sure I am taking advantage of dump stations to not carry the full weight of fresh, gray, and black water tanks simultaneously. What will be hard is to avoid the bad roads that are in some places. 
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 58>