R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 58>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 4:22pm

Like many others, I did not like the wallpaper behind the sink in our 2016 RP179. However, I had not done anything about it until now. Encouraged by seeing what others had done and taking advantage of a sale at Camping World, we purchased stick-on "tiles."

I took off the trim strip that was about 3" above the counter and saw that it had a purpose. That was to cover a seam that was less than even. On one end, there was a gap of almost 1/4". On the other end, the panel coming down from the roof was not flush with the panel that completed the wall to the counter. I did not think it was good to just stick the tile over the top of this seam, so I took some wood filler and filled the seam, making it smooth at the one end and filling the gap at the other end so it was smooth all the way down. After a little sanding to make sure it was smooth, I started on the door side and worked my way over to the slide side. I had previously put a trim strip below the window. I pulled that off and added another row of tile squares above what I had already installed. This made the top edge of the tile tall enough that the trim strip when replaced covered the top edge of the tile. After replacing the curtain rod holders and reinstalling the curtains, we have a very attractive tiled backsplash in the kitchen area behind the sink. I did not do the side walls as they looked okay as is against the tile backsplash.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 7:26am
One more little one that does not require a picture since the appearance isn't all that different:

Remove spark igniter (see above) and install a Char-Broil Universal Fit Electronic Ignition which I found at my local Walmart for $13.00. I had to enlarge the hole I had made a little in order to install it. However, I was able to plug the existing wires into the back of the unit. It has four connections. I used two for the wires leading to the burners. I used one of the wires that came with it to bridge the other two terminals so it would not be sparking between them under the counter. After installing a battery, I tested it and am much more pleased with this. Now, instead of a big "clunk" sound when I light the stove, it makes a very quiet "tick tick tick" sound. That will be much less likely to wake up my wife when I get up and put water on for coffee/tea in the mornings.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 10:16pm
Here is another handy little modification/addition to the R-Pod:

I mounted ours to the front driver's side corner of the R-Pod using double-sided tape. It also came with screws to attach it, but Idid not want to drill holes. Because the tape causes the unit to not sit flat against the side, it tends to sag a little. I improvised a shim to hold it square with the bracket. Once mounted, the unit can be removed from the mounting bracket for storage inside when not being used or when traveling.

Once set up, it is a simple matter to place the unit on the bracket, open the cover, swivel the unit to measure side-to-side level, and push the button to turn it on. Then it is a matter of looking at the column of LEDs on either side which indicate which side needs to be raised and how much. If it is level, the center (green LED) column lights. Once the side-to-side leveling is done, the unit swivels to do the front-to-rear leveling.

This sure beats running back and forth to the door to check the torpedo level I had been using. While not as accurate as the torpedo level, it is very close. If the Hopkins level is indicating perfectly level, the torpedo level might show a slight difference, but still within the centering lines of the bubble level.

I found it at a good price while we were traveling. For the ease of leveling and the visibility of the LEDs from within the TV and that it does both side-to-side and front-to-back leveling plus it is removable and does not need to sit outside all the time, I recommend this unit. Even better if you find it on eTrailer or elsewhere for a better price.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 4:25pm
Here is one that is not an R-Pod mod as such, but should make towing of the R-Pod much better. We are towing with a 2010 Nissan Frontier LE Crew Cab 4x4. Some of our trips have been interesting as we have, even with weight distribution, experienced a lot of bouncing, especially on concrete roads. I was thinking something needed to be done, but I did not want to go with an air spring system since that is a significant outlay and can have issues of punctures, air compressor failures, etc.

One system I had read about was the Timbren Suspension Enhancement System which uses a rubber "spring" which takes the place of the bump-stop on the rear axle. I was considering this when I read about SumoSprings by SuperSprings, International. These are made from closed-cell urethane which is available in three different densities. I chose to purchase a set of the Blue-40 SumoSprings which are rated at 1000 lbs at 50% compression. Both the Timbren and SS products come with a limited lifetime warranty.

Installation was not difficult. Instructions are provided and the tools needed aren't any different than ones needed for maintaining the R-Pod. These are installed one side at a time. With the Nissan, don't jack it up but leave the tires in contact with the ground. Loosen the four nuts on the axle U bolts and remove the factory bump stop. Install the backing plate for the SS. Replace, tighten, and torque the nuts on the U bolts. Then jack the vehicle up to increase the space between the leaf spring and the frame. Put the supplied blue locking liquid on the bolt and thread the SS onto the backing plate's bolt. Lower the vehicle and then repeat the process for the other side.

If I had been younger and could get more easily under the vehicle, it would have taken less time. As it was, I don't think it too more than an hour once I had everything I needed together.

Here's a picture of one of the Sumo Springs installed.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Like many others, I did not like the wallpaper behind the sink in our 2016 RP179. However, I had not done anything about it until now. Encouraged by seeing what others had done and taking advantage of a sale at Camping World, we purchased stick-on "tiles."

I took off the trim strip that was about 3" above the counter and saw that it had a purpose. That was to cover a seam that was less than even. On one end, there was a gap of almost 1/4". On the other end, the panel coming down from the roof was not flush with the panel that completed the wall to the counter. I did not think it was good to just stick the tile over the top of this seam, so I took some wood filler and filled the seam, making it smooth at the one end and filling the gap at the other end so it was smooth all the way down. After a little sanding to make sure it was smooth, I started on the door side and worked my way over to the slide side. I had previously put a trim strip below the window. I pulled that off and added another row of tile squares above what I had already installed. This made the top edge of the tile tall enough that the trim strip when replaced covered the top edge of the tile. After replacing the curtain rod holders and reinstalling the curtains, we have a very attractive tiled backsplash in the kitchen area behind the sink. I did not do the side walls as they looked okay as is against the tile backsplash.

Stephen - do you happen to have model info on the faucet that you installed? Tried finding one like that to no avail.
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 4:33pm

Here is one that is not an R-Pod mod as such, but should make towing of the R-Pod much better. We are towing with a 2010 Nissan Frontier LE Crew Cab 4x4. Some of our trips have been interesting as we have, even with weight distribution, experienced a lot of bouncing, especially on concrete roads. I was thinking something needed to be done, but I did not want to go with an air spring system since that is a significant outlay and can have issues of punctures, air compressor failures, etc.

One system I had read about was the Timbren Suspension Enhancement System which uses a rubber "spring" which takes the place of the bump-stop on the rear axle. I was considering this when I read about SumoSprings by SuperSprings, International. These are made from closed-cell urethane which is available in three different densities. I chose to purchase a set of the Blue-40 SumoSprings which are rated at 1000 lbs at 50% compression. Both the Timbren and SS products come with a limited lifetime warranty.

Stephen for the very same reasons why you decided to upgrade your rear suspension on your truck and the product you selected to do this SumoSprings I too did the same some time ago and have been very pleased ever since. The only difference with my installation and yours is I believe I installed the heavier duty Black 47 model SumoSprings. Probably overkill on my part but still all in all very pleased with the results.

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Ben Herman

Stephen - do you happen to have model info on the faucet that you installed? Tried finding one like that to no avail.
The one I have is by VAPSINT. I ordered it from Amazon, but it is currently unavailable and has been for some time. You may want to take a look at this one by Aberdeen or this one by Kraus. I have not found one like it either.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by DavMar

Stephen for the very same reasons why you decided to upgrade your rear suspension on your truck and the product you selected to do this SumoSprings I too did the same some time ago and have been very pleased ever since. The only difference with my installation and yours is I believe I installed the heavier duty Black 47 model SumoSprings. Probably overkill on my part but still all in all very pleased with the results.

My driving since I installed them included one street near me with speed humps. I definitely notice an improvement. I debated going with the heavier black SumoSprings. I guess I could upgrade them if I want to do so since it would only be changing out the urethane springs as I would think the mounting bracket would be the same. I have not towed with it yet, but will be doing so very soon.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 9:32am

Originally posted by Ben Herman

The one I have is by VAPSINT. I ordered it from Amazon, but it is currently unavailable and has been for some time. You may want to take a look at this one by Aberdeen or this one by Kraus. I have not found one like it either.

THX!
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 8:05am
I am a newbie and making some mods before we go to New Mexico for spring boondocking, it's a little cold right now up here in Michigan.  I have been wanting to install igniters for the stove and you and SH have been very helpful but a couple of questions does the piezoelectric push button have two contacts for both the electrodes that need to be installed and do you have to ground both burners or can you just get away with grounding the stove's pan for both burners?  Just trying to get my parts list in order before I start. 

Thanks for sharing your ideas
Jay
Jay

179/2019
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 58>