R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 58>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jimandclare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 23 May 2018 at 11:31am
Stephen, I'm really curious.  How has the new television antenna been working for you on your trip?  Is there any change in the quality of the signal reception that would make this a worthwhile upgrade?
Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 12:42pm
We don't watch much television. However, my impressions are that this antenna is an improvement over the batwing design. We got to our daughter's house in Tempe, AZ and I did a scan for channels. I got  a lot of them, so I was able to pull up a weather channel. I am very happy with it. At home, my first impressions were positive. I did try scanning when we were in Tucumcari, New Mexico, far from any city and as expected, got no channels. The new antenna is an improvement. However, if the batwing is working, I don't know if it is enough of an improvement to switch. I changed because mine broke. If something like that happens, then definitely go for this one unless your antenna base is accessible enough to be able to install one that can be aimed. In our case, the base was such that there was no easy access without modifying the area behind the Jensen stereo unit. I did not want to do that, so this was the best solution.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jimandclare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jimandclare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:18pm
Thanks Steven. We're not big on watching television either except in the evenings when we travel with the grandkids. Was hoping for more positive review since we have the same problem installing a directional antenna on our 178. Don't relish the thought of adding an additiinal hole in the roof if I don't absolutely have to. Guess I'll put this on the "maybe to-do" list instead.
Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:23pm
If you already have a directional antenna, then don't mount this one. I had to have an omnidirectional antenna. Your directional is definitely better as it can be aimed to pull in signals better. My comparison is between two omnidirectional antennas since I don't have and can't easily install a directional one.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
jimandclare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jimandclare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 4:00pm
No I'm sorry, maybe not clear. I have the standard omnidirectional batwing style you had to replace. I was hoping your new antenna was a step up in performance because I dont really want to cut another hole in the roof just for a directional antenna. Like i said its a "maybe" project for the future. Thanks
Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 12:46am
My confusion. It was late. If your batwing breaks, definitely consider this one as a replacement. I am very happy with it if for nothing else than it does not have the wings. The fact that it does seem to pick up better also is a plus. However, it is not enough of an improvement to replace a functional batwing. If you are in an area with strong signals, you will be happy. If, however, you are in an area with weak or no signals, you will find as I did that it still won't pull in signals.  We are content to not watch a lot of TV. A tablet loaded with movies or DVDs for the Jensen unit or alternate player suffice in such a case.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 10:14pm
For all of us who have been frustrated with the non-tilting television mount, Harbor Freight has come to our rescue. The recent Tool Disposal Notice Huge Coupon Book has on its back cover a coupon for an Armstrong Swivel/Tilt TV Wall Mount, normally $14.99 but with the coupon $9.99. The spacing of the brackets is just right to take the place of the non-tilting face plate.

Armstrong 17" - 42" Swivel/Tilt TV Wall Mount, Item 64238. The coupon is good through 7/31/2018.

The only parts needed out of this mount are the tilt mechanism and the new face plate. The wall bracket and arm are not needed.

Installation will also need something to make a bushing since the bolt for the new swivel mount is much smaller (but still adequate) than the existing bolt. One could drill out the holes in the bracket and re-use the large bolt. I chose instead to take a little piece of 3/8 PEX tubing, which was the perfect diameter on the outside to slide tightly into the arm's hole and tight snug enough on the inside so that the new bolt would not wiggle around. The new arm has two washers. These will be needed when installing. I had the PEX tubing on hand from a previous project, so that did not cost me anything additional to purchase. There might be some other material which could be used just as well.

Steps:
1. Purchase new mount.
2. Unpack box.
3. Remove tilt mechanism from the wall mount's arm and wall bracket. Save the bolt, nylock nut, and two washers.
4. Remove TV from old faceplate.
5. Remove old faceplate from arm.
6. Cut a piece of 3/8" PEX tubing so that it will slide into the hole in the end of the arm to fill it without sticking out either above or below.
7. Place swivel head on arm with washers on the top and bottom between the arm and the head's tabs; insert bolt, install nut and tighten. Note: Be careful of orientation, placing the square notch on top.
8. Install faceplate on to television.
9. Hook tabs on faceplate over the swivel head's notch and secure with the two screws.
10. Adjust the angle to your liking.
11. Enjoy watching the television with it set at a better angle.

This mount does not facilitate quick changes as it does not have thumbscrews. However, if it is set to a good angle for watching while sitting in the dinette area (RP179), then when swiveled back, the existing straps should still work to strap it in for travel.

I hope this is something others will find useful. It has solved a long-time peeve with the TV mount for a very reasonable price.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
craigwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craigwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 7:43am
Excellent Stephen!  Heading to the Big city and the closest Harbor Freight (3 hours away) tomorrow to purchase this - is the coupon book available at the store?
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 7:56am
It was not. I had gone but had forgotten to put it in the car. I knew I would be nearby the next day, so waited to purchase until I had grabbed the book and the coupons for the 20% off one item and the free item the next day. I don't know if Harbor Freight's catalogs are local or national.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 8:33pm
We were not too far from home on the last part of our recent trip. We did okay as far as the R-Pod went until after we had gone over some very rough roads in the upper midwest. That was just too much for the black tank drain supports. Even though the factory had added a second support when it went to the factory for repair, the rough roads caused enough flexing and vibration that the nylock nuts holding the tank's hanger to the straps came off and the end of the drain dragged on the Interstate. What was worse was that somehow, even though the handle is on the forward side and one would think that would help keep it closed, it didn't. Someone passed us, beeped the horn and pointed at our R-Pod. We were almost to a rest area and there was no good place to pull off before then. I looked in the mirror and saw the drain dragging on the pavement.

When we got to the rest area, the tank had pretty much completely drained. I shut the valve and used a number of zip-ties to strap it up for the remainder of our trip. It was a hot, sunny day. It is a good thing that sunlight is a good disinfectant.

When we got home, I ordered a new valve, drain fitting and cover from Amazon. I also went to my local Lowe's Home Improvement store and purchased some strap aluminum. Once I had all the parts on hand, I drained the remainder of the black tank (Gorilla tape helped here to seal the fittings.). Once the black tank was drained, I removed the old valve and drain end, leaving the flange that was still good. I bolted on a new valve and drain fitting and installed a new cover. To keep this from ever happening again, I made a hanger strap out of the strap aluminum. Mine should never come loose as it allows the pipe to move without stressing the screws holding it in place. I had previously done this for the gray tank drain. I had hoped that the factory's two fittings would hold. I was wrong. Now I have a support that will not fail to keep the pipe off the ground.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 58>