R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 58>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 9:44pm
Sounds good. Have a safe and fun trip. Thumbs Up
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:14pm
Thanks, you too.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
geewizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote geewizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 7:25am
Originally posted by lostagain

I installed an electric igniter similarly to what StephenH did, but with a few differences.  I got nervous about putting holes in the burners to attach the electrodes, in case I had to abort the project.  So, I made a little bracket to hold them and screwed it onto the burner support post that's just a thin piece of sheet metal.  I also had problems getting the electrodes to fit into the space between the burner and stove top.  For the longer electrode I shortened it and had to bend it to get it close enough to spark near the burner holes.  For the shorter electrode, I had to slide the electrode up higher in its bracket so it would get close enough for a spark.  They're pressed in pretty tightly, so it was a bit of a hassle to get it to move but I finally got a good alignment.  I ran the wires out of the hole where the gas pipe enters and had plenty of wire to mount the spark generator on the face of the cabinet below the stove, similarly to what StephenH showed in his foto.

The fit between the stove top and the electrode is really tight and the hold down screws for the stove top are a little bit at an angle, but it lights quite nicely.  I suspect I'll be replacing the spark generator button from time to time as they're not very sturdy.  

I just finished my install just as Fred did above but used this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VAXQF8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Otherwise, I followed StephanH's method.  Works great.

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:12am
I wish I had found the one you got, geewizard, from Amazon.  It's a better deal than the one from HD.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 4:46pm
The newest addition to our towing equipment is a Hensley Cub. This hitch normally sells for over $2500, but Hensley is having a special, offering a significant discount as they are introducing the Swift Arrow and Swift Cub models. These new models use chains and a snap-up bracket to set the weight distribution instead of the jacks to do the job.

I originally ordered the Swift Cub. I installed it and found that there were things about it that made it less than desirable for us. In addition to the chains and snap-up bracket and lever, it has two support rods that are used to hold the spring bars while the chains are disconnected, stabilizing the hitch so it can be set for easier hitching and unhitching. These are less expensive to manufacture but for someone with arthritis, dealing with the pins, bars, and chains is more of a problem. I ended up exchanging the Swift Lift Kit for the standard jacks. They are a lot simpler once set up as one only has to deal with the hex nut on each jack to adjust the spring bars.

I did a short test drive with the chains/snap-up brackets, and then another with the jacks. There is no noticeable difference in performance. Both are a big improvement over the Equal-i-zer. There is no movement of the trailer and the hitch is virtually silent. I could not hear any hitch noise--no bumping, groaning, squeaking or popping. Thumbs Up The real test will be when we take off next month on our cross-country trip.

Is it worth it? If it makes my wife and me feel more secure while towing, it is. I also expect that because of the way it works, it will be better at keeping us stable in conditions which might be too much for a friction-based sway control system.

I returned the cover. It did not fit to my satisfaction. I will make a cover. I have some ideas about how to do it. Since the hitch stays attached to the trailer except for the hitch bar, I locking it two ways. First is the hitch coupler lock. The second is to bring the chains up through the Over Center Latch (OCL) bars and locking them together with a heavy-duty padlock. While these are not foolproof, when coupled with the fact that not too many people have Hensley hitches, it is likely to baffle the opportunistic thieves.

A couple of pictures and I have to run. We have to leave shortly.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 5:03pm
Stephen,
Please post a review on this WD anti-sway hitch after you used it for a couple weeks on your trip. Looks interesting.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by geewizard

I just finished my install just as Fred did above but used this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VAXQF8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Otherwise, I followed StephanH's method.  Works great.
GeeWizard. Where did you mount the spark generator. I got the very same one, and the generator is kind of "chunky". I'm guessing there might be enough room on the face of the cabinet, but I'm considering mounting it on the stove top near the front.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 11:26pm
Addendum to the Hensley Hitch mod above: I really did not like the factory cover. To me, it just did not fit correctly. $85 is a lot to spend for something with which I was not satisfied, so after an exchange that verified that it was not just one that was cut wrong, it went back for refund. I decided to make my own. It is not as heavy a fabric as the Hensley factory cover, but it uses material I already had on hand from my previous awning and slide-out cover projects It isn't a simple box since there is a taper. However, it is very box-like. I used grommets so I could use bungee cords to hold it in place. This was a quick fix. I may like it enough to keep using it or I may decide to make a 2.0 version sometime down the road.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 10:32am
This one is a small one with some creative recycling. The Hensley hitch specifies greasing the WD bars every 500 miles. The problem is that of how one carries a grease gun without having a big, greasy mess from leakage and without getting grease all over things where it does not belong. Since I had done a previous modification to make a larger sewage holder carrier, I realized I had a suitable candidate for making something to hold the grease gun already--the original sewage hose carrier.

The original carrier was 26" long, which was too long for the grease gun. While extra space would not have been a problem, it would not have worked where I wanted to mount it which was under the Stromberg-Carlsen Trailer Tray and allow room for the door to open without blocking the ability to remove the propane tank cover. When I knocked it off one time and broke the mounts, I had ordered replacements. However, one time previously, I had also gotten a replacement door that broke and that came with a mount also.

Since the mounts were glued on to the tube with ABS cement, it would not have been possible to remove the mount without breaking it. Since I had a spare mounting bracket, I decided to cut the tube to the length I wanted (21") which was enough room for the grease gun to fit with a little room to spare. I taped a piece of paper around the tube so that I could get a straight line for the cut and then used a hacksaw to cut it to length. Using ABS cement, I glued the new mounting bracket on and VoilĂ ! a grease-gun tube.

It is long enough to hold the grease gun, wide enough to carry a spare tube of grease, and short enough so that I can open the one door to get to the grease gun when needed.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:11pm
Hensley Cub and towing day 2 of long trip.
I should have gotten this hitch when I bought our RP179. Towing is a dream! It isn't that I don't feel trucks passing or the effects of a strong cross-wind. It is just that it is much more predictable and there is not that little wiggle as they pass. Some trucks have come up alongside without me knowing. Others, like RVs with the flat front or busses do give the trailer and truck a little push, but there is no wiggle to it. It is more of a straight-line push, easily dealt with with very minor steering adjustments.

I'm still working on getting the WD dialed in, but even so, towing is good and more relaxing than with the Equal-i-zer which, in turn, was more relaxing than no sway control. So far on this trip, we are averaging a little better than 12 mpg. That includes the Appalachians, the Ozarks, and a strong head/cross wind today ahead of a front that was coming through. We are in Alabama tonight and expect to be in Oklahoma tomorrow. It should take another couple of days to get to our younger daughter's house in Arizona where we will spend several days and likely make a camping trip with her to Sedona if she can get reservations.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 58>