R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 58>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 10:18pm
I thought of drilling a hole in the bottom of the pan, however if you ever have something boiling over it will leak into the cabinet below. 
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 9:23am
Marwayne & StephenH,

Thanks so much for the information on this mod I really appreciate both of your replies and the photos.

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 9:46am
StephenH, how did you connect the igniters to the burners?  Did the mounting hardware come with the HD kit?  Thanks!
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 11:04am
The electrodes each had a metal bracket. For both, I drilled a hole in the bottom of the burner near the edge and used a screw to attach them. On the longer one, I had to slide the electrode on the bracket since more of the ceramic insulator stuck up above the bracket before attaching it to the burner. I also had to cut some of the electrode length on the longer electrode and bend them to make sure they gave a good spark.The picture shows all but how they are screwed into the bottom of the burners.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 11:15am
Thanks!
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 4:13pm
I installed an electric igniter similarly to what StephenH did, but with a few differences.  I got nervous about putting holes in the burners to attach the electrodes, in case I had to abort the project.  So, I made a little bracket to hold them and screwed it onto the burner support post that's just a thin piece of sheet metal.  I also had problems getting the electrodes to fit into the space between the burner and stove top.  For the longer electrode I shortened it and had to bend it to get it close enough to spark near the burner holes.  For the shorter electrode, I had to slide the electrode up higher in its bracket so it would get close enough for a spark.  They're pressed in pretty tightly, so it was a bit of a hassle to get it to move but I finally got a good alignment.  I ran the wires out of the hole where the gas pipe enters and had plenty of wire to mount the spark generator on the face of the cabinet below the stove, similarly to what StephenH showed in his foto.

The fit between the stove top and the electrode is really tight and the hold down screws for the stove top are a little bit at an angle, but it lights quite nicely.  I suspect I'll be replacing the spark generator button from time to time as they're not very sturdy.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 5:56pm
Fred, did you get the battery operated spark generator or the piezoelectric spark generator?
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 6:45pm
The $12 cheap kit at HD, that came with the piezoelectric pushbutton. I like the long electrodes that marwayne put in, but I couldn't find any that were cheap.  

Now that it's in, it's all working well.  We'll see how it does when we leave for AZ and UT next week for a couple weeks of dry camping.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 7:07pm
We'll be leaving in a couple of weeks to go cross-country again to visit our daughters and grandchildren. We will be able to do a good test also. We both have AZ and UT in our plans. It would be quite a coincidence if we were to see each other out there. Big smile
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 8:11pm
We'll watch out for you.  We'll be with two other couples, one in a Sunray 149 and one in a motorhome.  And remember, our Pod is the one with no decals, like a little white cloud.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 58>