R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 58>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 8:30am
If you look at both a standard tank that is meant to be carried upright and one that is meant to be carried horizontally, you will see that there is a difference in valve placement. For the propane tank to work properly, the valve must be above the liquid level so that vapor is drawn off to go through the system. A standard tank would have the valve below the liquid level when the tank is full. A horizontal tank has the valve offset so that when it is installed, the valve is above the liquid level. That is my understanding of why it is not okay to transport a standard 20lb cylinder on its side.

Please move any further discussion to a separate topic. This is a discussion that deserves to have its own topic and is likely a good one to have pinned or part of a FAQ about how to transport propane safely.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
geewizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote geewizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 11:25am
ok.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 6:05pm
Okay, I got the dual-tank carrier in so the modification to carry two propane tanks on the tongue have begun. Considerations are in deciding where to locate the tank carrier and tanks. With the curve of the RPod's front, it is not possible to move the tanks to the location of the battery rack. It turns out that with the Hensley Cub's hardware, the existing location is the best to put the new dual-tank rack.

The first step is to remove the cover and tank, then to remove the ring and tie-down straps. Then, the square base needed to come off. That meant getting an angle grinder and cutting the welds that held it, then grinding down the remaining welds until the surface of the tank brackets is level. Then, since the metal under the square base was rusty, I took a wire brush and removed the loose rust before spraying it with Krylon Rust Converter Primer. Tomorrow, this will get a finish coat.

One other thing is that the Cub's brackets mean that the base for the dual-tank holder would not sit flat. I had some square tubing welding stock on hand which I cut to suitable lengths and gave them the same treatment. They also will get a finish coat tomorrow. Once that is done, I will be able to mount the base, using the two pieces of square stock as shims. I am still waiting for the auto-changeover regulator and for the dual-tank cover. Given that we are expecting rain this week, getting at least this done is helpful.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:34pm
Okay, what I mentioned above had to change. I realized that there would be insufficient room for the tank cover if the two tanks were placed where the single tank used to be. However, there was no place with sufficient support to which I could bolt the tank carrier. So, instead of just shims, I built a bracket to hold the carrier.

In reference to the picture above, this tank support bracket will enable the two tanks to sit behind the rear U bolts for the Hensley Cub hitch. This will allow me to use the dual-tank cover I bought. The tanks will still be in front of the former battery brackets so the curve on the front of the RPod won't be a problem. The bracket will sit with the wide part toward the trailer and the narrow part resting on the former tank support brackets. It will be bolted to these brackets and then the tank carrier will be bolted to the new support bracket. It is too late to mount it today because the paint needs more time to dry. I hope to get this job done tomorrow. Because of expected sub-freezing temperatures tonight, it is hanging in the guest bathroom's shower.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 4:16pm
Well, it is 99% done. I mounted it and then discovered that the tanks overlapped enough so that they were hitting the Hensley hitch brackets, so I ended up having to move it a few inches back from where I I originally mounted it. That meant that my newly built bracket had to be modified. I only had to shorten the two arms that bolt to the old tank mount crossbar. Instead of using the front bar, now it bolts to the rear one, and the extra length was cut off. The only thing remaining is to do a little sanding and painting to make sure it won't corrode. The open ends of the tubes were plugged with all-purpose Bondo putty as were the holes where the round bracket was bolted. They show up in the picture as gray areas.

Unfortunately, the nice, new Camco dual-tank hard cover I ordered will not work. Unhappy There is not sufficient room to maneuver it under the Trailer Tray. I need to order a soft cover and find a new home for the hard cover. At least it wasn't too expensive. 

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 12:46pm
And the final step is to install a cover over the tanks. However, I found that the Camco dual tank cover would not work as is. The projection to make it easier to get to the valves and regulator without removing the cover works on the front, but on the back, it hits the front of the RPod. This would likely not be a good thing going down the road as it would likely lead to abrasion of the gel coat. So, I had to modify the cover by cutting off the projecting area and then using a thin piece of flexible plastic over the hole. That got covered on both sides with Gorilla Tape. Gorilla tape is great! Unlike Duct Tape, it will not deteriorate quickly and peel apart. I used Gorilla Tape to patch the hole in our RPod when we had the accident a few years ago. It stayed on for the remainder of the trip and then from our house to the factory without peeling off so it should hold up on the tank cover where it will not be bearing the full brunt of the air blast and water while we are traveling.

Here are a couple of pictures:

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 4:11pm
Stephen,  
Looks good and like it will work out well. And that Gorilla tape should make it to Alaska and back.  Have fun and be safe.

Jay
Jay

179/2019
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 1:57pm
Looks like a easy fix and if it doesn't last just peal off some more Gorilla Tape!

What you ran into is one of the down sides of having the curved front on our pods. I had to mount my tool box/battery locker mod farther towards the front so that the lid would open because of the same problem you ran into. I often wonder if I could have the frame tongue cut and then weld a six inch to one foot extension of it to give me more room for mounting the tool box and dual propane tank with its cover? Don't know what effect that would have on towing, anti-sway bars, ect. if did such a modification on the frame???? 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by DavMar

Looks like a easy fix and if it doesn't last just peal off some more Gorilla Tape!

What you ran into is one of the down sides of having the curved front on our pods. I had to mount my tool box/battery locker mod farther towards the front so that the lid would open because of the same problem you ran into. I often wonder if I could have the frame tongue cut and then weld a six inch to one foot extension of it to give me more room for mounting the tool box and dual propane tank with its cover? Don't know what effect that would have on towing, anti-sway bars, ect. if did such a modification on the frame???? 
Yes, I realized that very quickly. The curve does allow for the battery/batteries to sit there, but anything taller won't work. As for cutting and extending the A frame, I would be very, very leery about doing it. If there is any warranty left, it would immediately void it. Also, it would need a structural engineer to make sure that it would be able to take the road stress. It would probably be better to cut the A frame off completely and build a new one that is longer since then there would not be any joints that could break from road stress. It could also be extended back farther and tie into the frame at more than one point. I don't have the knowledge or ability to do such design work to make a change like that.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 11:03am
[/QUOTE] As for cutting and extending the A frame, I would be very, very leery about doing it. If there is any warranty left, it would immediately void it. Also, it would need a structural engineer to make sure that it would be able to take the road stress. It would probably be better to cut the A frame off completely and build a new one that is longer since then there would not be any joints that could break from road stress. It could also be extended back farther and tie into the frame at more than one point. I don't have the knowledge or ability to do such design work to make a change like that.[/QUOTE]

Both you and I along with, I would guess, most others would not have the ability to engineer or fabricate this modification of the trailer A frame tongue. It would be nice if someone could engineer this modification, that wouldn't be cost prohibited, because I would love to have just six inches or a foot more length to work with when doing modifications as you have done or I with adding a tool box/battery bin and mounting dual propane tanks.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 58>