R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 58>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 10:37pm

Maybe I’m naïve but if there is a worry about water collecting in the bottom of the V channel of the angle iron why not drill a couple of small weep holes in it? I don’t know if it would affect the strength of this steel brace but I don't believe it would.

On a side note I'm looking very forward to reports on how this axle mod has worked out in real use over time.

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 7:41am
Drain holes kept small say 1/8 inch won't be significant structurally but there's not really a channel open under there to carry water to them, the angle is up against the axle. So I don't know that they'd do much good either.

Barring something strange like the angle sliding side ways or falling off don't expect anything definitive to come from one or two field uses. That's because the failure rate of our axles is fairly low to begin with. 

I  like to exercise my brain so here are some numbers.  

Lets say there are 10,000 rpods on the road and they've been sold for 10 years (average age 5 years) so there are roughly 50,000 rPod-years of product history out there now. Let's say that there have been 1,000 axle failures in that time (just a wild guess on my part), so that's a 1000/50000 or a 2% per year failure rate with the existing axle, or a 20% failure rate over 10 years. 

These aren't the right numbers of course but they're probably not way off the mark either. Most folks don't experience axle failures, but a significant number do. 

What would success look like for an axle reinforcement? Lets say we want to cut that 2% down by a factor of 10 and get a 10X reliability improvement, for a 0.2% annual axle failure rate or 2% over 10 years. How many field trials would you need to run to prove that? 

The math used to do that kind of failure analysis is called the binomial distribution. If you run that calc for this case it turns out that if you want to be 80% confident that you've taken the failure rate down to 0.2% per rPod-year then you'd need to run about 800 trials (800 rPods for a year or 400 for 2 years for example) and have zero axle failures. 

So, to prove anything definitive from field testing we'd need to get about 10% of our 8000 members to do the mod, tow for a year, and report back that their axles were all still good. As we say in engineering, that ain't gonna happen. LOL  

So, we need to depend on the structural calculations instead. Those show a significant (about 50% increase) in load capacity of the axle tube from adding the reinforcement. It doesn't do anything to help with the potential to have bent torque arms, spindles, or crushed rubber cords though.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 10:21am
Originally posted by DavMar

Maybe I’m naïve but if there is a worry about water collecting in the bottom of the V channel of the angle iron why not drill a couple of small weep holes in it? I don’t know if it would affect the strength of this steel brace but I don't believe it would.

I don't think weep holes will be needed. The bottom of the axle tube has a curve but the steel angle does not have that curve so there is a space on the bottom of the angle. Given that the axle tube is highest in the center and slopes down toward the wheels and that water does not run uphill, any water that may get inside should naturally flow outward toward the wheels where it will be able to drip out through the space between the axle tube and the peak of the steel angle. Even though this picture is blurry, it should show what I am describing.

On a

side note I'm looking very forward to reports on how this axle mod has worked out in real use over time.
I will post information on it as I have opportunity to test it.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 3:43pm
Waddaya mean water doesn't run up hill?  At the Mystery Spot near Santa Cruz it does.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 3:59pm
It probably appears to be running uphill. It is like some of the "magnetic" roads where it looks like a car is being pulled uphill. It is an optical illusion though. Mystery Hill in Boone, NC is one such example. (see also Gravity Hills).
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 5:50pm
I can understand a Mystery Hill in NC being full of optical illusions, but not the Mystery Spot near Santa Cruz.  There all the stuff is true.  Confused
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
crw8sr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote crw8sr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 6:09pm
Darn StephenH you ruin it!  I thought that was real.
Thumbs Up
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 7:27pm
I brought my iPhone into the Santa Cruz mystery spot and was using it as a level to measure the buildings and I had to fight them off so they wouldn’t take it away from me. It’s difficult to tell if something is level or not when it’s on the side of a steep hill, which is where the mystery spot is. So maybe the effects there aren’t quite as real as all that.

Water does run uphill though, it’s called capillary action (aka wicking) and can easily wet surfaces inches higher than the water level when the surfaces are close together. So a little 3/8 inch height difference between the ends and the middle of the axle will almost certainly get wet.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 1:45pm
Yes, capillary action is the exception although it only takes place in certain circumstances where the water is drawn uphill. As a general rule, water does only run downhill.The space between the curve at the bottom of the axle and the V of the reinforcement is enough so that I don't expect capillary action to stop water that gets into the bottom to be affected, but it might along the flat parts that are in contact. That is why the angle got multiple coats of primer/paint and I made sure to touch the axle up before joining the parts together.

I'm thinking of squirting a little expanding foam into the square channels to fill them and keep water out of them.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 2:51pm
SH, if you close the ends with foam you are creating a new problem. The water that will seep in between the axle on the angle iron will be trapped in the opening at the bottom. If you leave it open you can blow some air through every once in while so it can dry out,
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 58>