R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 58>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Wood River Pod

Stephen, what's interesting is that on our 179 HRE, our batwing is located on the slide side of the pod.  The coax jack is still just above the tv, but the cable goes into the cavity behind the jensen and then pops into the ceiling and runs across the pod and up an out the antenna base on the roof just to the right of the a/c unit.  So adding a new antenna would be difficult.  Been considering just removing the antenna and putting a cap on the base. 
Thanks for the info.
Jeff

In your case, replacing the batwing with a rotatable antenna would be simpler since you already have access to the base of the antenna that is not in an inaccessible space. If the wires from the antenna to the Jensen unit are not fastened tightly to the framework, you might be able to use the existing wires to pull new wires through or modify the existing wires to support a new unit if it uses the same type wires as the batwing.

In my case, the new wiring is somewhat different. The batwing had two wires, one that fed to the TV In connector and a thin red wire that looks like it fed 12V power to the antenna with the shielding of the TV wire likely serving as the ground. The new antenna has two wires. One is the TV wire and the other is to to to the AM/FM connector on the Jensen unit. Power does not go to the antenna. Neither wire is long enough to reach the connector panel. Since the wiring was different, I installed the new amplifier panel that came with the unit. I am waiting on delivery of an extender cable for the radio. I already had a TV antenna extender cable as there was already one being used with the old antenna.

Although I do not have the cable for the radio portion, I do have the television working. First impressions? This is a good unit. It already seems to pick up more stations than the old batwing. In the house, our local ABC station affiliate is problematic. However, in the R-Pod, that channel was coming in strong. OTOH, channel 17 (NBC) registered on the scan but shows a blank picture with no sound. A few say "audio only" and some others are pixilated. When they do come in, the picture is very clear. The best thing is that this cost significantly less than the batwing it replaced and the same base fits the new antenna so I di not have to do anything that would compromise the roof's sealant and add the risk of leakage.
I thought it best to stick with the original base because the one that came with this antenna is plastic and the old one is metal. If I really wanted to, I could paint the base white to match the antenna. The black base does not look bad, so it is something that would be very low on the priority list.

Edit: The radio antenna extension cable came in today (2' long). The Jensen stereo unit is now installed again and tested. Radio reception is very good.

I believe I can with good conscience highly recommend this antenna as a replacement for the batwing antenna if you have one and it breaks.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 9:57pm
Time for another small modification, but one that resolves an issue that has bugged me for a long time. Why did Forest River not put an igniter in the stove? It seems like something that should just be there.

I wanted to put in one that has the battery and does not make much noise. Unfortunately, I could not find a kit locally that had all the parts, so I opted to get one from Home Depot that has a Piezoelectric spark generator. The good thing about it is no batteries are required. The bad thing is that it is noisier to operate.

I disassembled the stove to get to everything easier. The kit came with two electrodes. One is meant for a grill's main burner and the other for a side burner. A ground wire is included if only the one electrode is needed. The wires were long enough to allow me to run them through the grommet where the gas pipe runs. That protects them from sharp metal contact. They are then attached directly to the bottom of the burner with a screw and bent into position. The electrode meant for the side burner needed to be trimmed and the metal bracket moved on the ceramic insulator. Once all was attached, I tested to make sure they were sparkng properly. Then I tested with gas. The tests were successful, so now the stove has electrical ignition. I located the push button on the panel below the front of the stove so it would be out of the way and less likely to be bumped.

Here are a couple of pictures:

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Ghosthawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ghosthawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 6:31am
Your right, should come from factory that way.

I can see this mod is in my future.
Leo B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 6:52am
That is really a nice addition!!!  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 8:45am
Thank you. It is something that I had wanted to do for a long time.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Thank you. It is something that I had wanted to do for a long time.

Excellent! Favor for all post a link or tell us all where you bought your igniter kit? Could you also please tell how the igniter attatched to the burner?
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 2:27pm

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 3:19pm
Thanks for the great pic's marwayne. Did you fab the L bracket out of aluminum stock? What was your source for the igniter assembly? 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 9:21pm
Yes I made my own brackets, bought the igniter at Home Depot they are for a BBQ  
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 9:37pm
Home Depot was the source of the kit I used. I opted for simplicity, so I drilled a hole in the bottom of the burner and used a screw to attach the electrodes directly to them. Since the screw fills the hole, there is no gas leakage to worry about.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 58>