R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 58>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 6:30pm
It's too big for the area in front of the closet where you had your smaller battery?
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 2:28pm
The battery arrived today so the modification will begin soon as I figure out where I am going to put it which will determine what materials I need.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 4:36pm
$308/kwh, getting cheaper all the time....
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 3:58pm
I opted to purchase a 200AH battery. It will be simpler if I don't have to try to connect another monitor. I will repurpose the 100AH battery, but I don't know for what just yet.

I will bring the 100AH LiFePO4 battery inside the house and use it for amateur radio use. It will make a great UPS for that and should provide really clean power for the radio.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by StephenH

I'm already happy with it. Given that we made the trip with the cooler and experienced similar power draw, I think we will do okay with the CRX-1100. During ARRL Field Day I observed the meter but did not record use then. That was before I added extra insulation, which I expect will really help with the power use. I have an AC-DC clamp-on meter. However, it would not be suitable for observing long term because it would be detecting spot use, not tracking or recording use.

What do you use to isolate the refrigerator's power so you can track just that power use?

Back from a couple days on a Backcountry Discovery Route and catching up..

First, glad you are already happy with it, I was looking further up the road... My wiring only has my Frig so far running from Main Appliance battery. I have a secondary battery that runs lighting & re-charge stations. Each battery is rated for it's requirements. My build, my systems in it (based upon proven theories). With only the frig running on it, easy to isolate.. Sorry, that doesn't help you...

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 7:36am
That might be a consideration.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 6:55am
Sounds like a good plan. If you look at the high end "expedition" rigs they all seem to be going fully electric now, with large Li battery packs, solar arrays, and high capacity alternators.

The other thing you could consider is to keep your existing battery and add another one with a marine style rotary switch (bat 1, batt 2, both and off) so you have full control over your electrical storage system
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 9:23am
+1

In any case, I have been looking at 200AH and 300AH LiFePO4 batteries on Amazon. Some of the 200AH batteries are about the same price as I paid for the 100AH ExpertPower battery. Of course, they are unknown brands but some of them have pretty good reviews. I might bypass 200AH and go directly for a 300AH battery if I think I can fit it in.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 6:04am
I think the thing that folks are missing is that unlike an absorption fridge which always uses pretty much the same amount of energy a compressor fridge is more like owning a car.

Two people own the same car, but one uses 100 gallons of fuel a month and the other uses 10. Why? The one using 100 gallons drives like a demon, has a long commute, and tows a trailer. The one using 10 gallons is retired, drives like a little old lady, and only uses the car to go to the store a couple times a month. No one would ever say that any two ppl will burn the same amount of fuel just because they own the same car.

Ditto for the compressor fridge. There are way too many variables (ambient temp, internal temp setting, what you're putting in and taking out, how often and how long you leave the door open, etc) to say "if you get xx fridge you can power it with yy solar array and zz batteries.

Sorry that it's not that simple but that is the way with most things in life. It's really the same reason some folks here are perfectly happy with their absorption fridges while other ppl think they're junk.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 1:46pm
And I feel that if we are on a trip like we anticipate trying next year (Alaska), we will be driving a lot and stops will be overnight with possible exceptions for stays. In any case, while driving, the DC to DC charger will handle charging the battery and if we stop for a day or two, either the solar or generator will handle the charging. I don't anticipate running out of battery power because of the refrigerator. I went with the LiFePO4 for multiple reasons, not anticipating a refrigerator change. I think I will be okay.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 58>