R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 58>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
fwunder View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 12:01pm
Thanks Stephen, et al.! Good stuff!!

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 11:03am
Up till recently the lowest cost way to get a lot of Li battery capacity has been to buy salvage battery modules from wrecked EV's. Good 5.2kwh Tesla battery modules go for around $1300 so about $250/kwh.

But StephenH's new battery cost just over $300/kwh. Considering that with the EV modules you have to buy and configure a BMS as well as convert to a higher voltage I think the new 12V Chinese battery route is the way to go, unless perhaps you really want to go to a higher voltage anyway (which you would probably want to do if you started running heavier loads like the a/c).

Battleborn at $750/kwh isn't even in the running. I can't see their business model being viable much longer, so folks considering then because of potentially better post sales support should consider the possibility that the company might not be around long term.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 10:35am
FWIW, I have been looking at LiFePo batteries for a little while, and Shenzhen is just about one of the largest makers on the planet. It may just end up being the battery we choose if (when?) we decide to switch over.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 6:50pm
The thing that can make the decision to purchase Battle Born battery is that it is a US company. Therefore, warranty issues are likely to be addressed more quickly. When it comes down to it, I believe the cells for both are likely made in China as there are no US LiFePO4 cell makers that I could find. What you pay for with Battle Born is the name, reputation, and post-sale service. I spent less money, but I am taking the risk that if something goes wrong, that I may or may not be able to get service. There is a US contact, JITA-US@outlook.com. However, whether that is a reliable contact remains to be seen. The manual lists the following for contact information:

Manufacture: Shenzhen Lijingte Technology Co., Ltd
Address: 5th Floor, Shangpinju, Xinfu Harbor, Baoan District, Shenzhen
Telephone: +86-0769-81238456
Zip code: 518100

Anyway, it is too soon to give an objective evaluation. I'll know more after I get the initial deep discharge and full charge cycle. The manual says that there is an after-sales service center in California, but it does not give that address or any other contact information other than the outlook email address.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 5:20pm
Stephen, I really am not up to snuff on LiFePO4 Batteries. What makes Battleborns soooo much more expensive and do you think they are worth it. I know that's a rhetorical question since you didn't buy them, but what's your opinion?

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 4:45pm
From the manual:

Product Introduction

LiFePO4 Battery 12.8V  200AH
Nominal Voltage 12.8V
Charge Voltage 14.2V-14.6V
Cycle Life >2000 cycles at 100% DoD up to 5000 cycles at 80% DoD
Weight 22.2±1KG/48.9LB
Energy 2560WH
Max Continuous
Charging Current 100A
Max Continuous
Discharging Current 200A
Max Load/
Inverter Power 200W
Operating
Temperature Range Charge 0°C~50°C (32°F~122°F)
Discharge -20°C~60°C (-4°F~140°F) 
Storage -10°C~50°C (14°F~122°F)
Dimenstion 522*240*218mm
20.5*9.4*8.5 inch

Hope this will answer your questions.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 4:06pm
Can you post up the Spec's that came along with it please? 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 6:53am
Great write up and great job as usual. That is a pretty big battery. Hope you have enough storage space left to be useful What does it weigh?

I guess the other place to put it if someone wanted to retain the outside storage in the 179 would be to build a box in the under the bed storage area, perhaps also use that structure to create a better duct system for the furnace.

I assume the self heating is done internally using a 12v resistance heater run from the charger? Do the specs provide a current demand for that? Using it might require a charger upgrade.

Now that you have doubled your storage capacity so you have a place to put the energy it produces, you might want to add a permanently mounted solar module on the roof. My original plan was to get a 300-350 watt industrial sized mode and mount it crosswise behind the a/c. They can be had for around 50 cents a watt. If you pick the right one it could be the same length as the rpod is wide so could mount it at it's ends to the top of the side walls without compromising the trailer roof itself. Those modules produce around 35V at their max power point so you'd need an MPPT controller. Weight increase would be around 50 lbs.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 7:29pm
Okay. The job is done so it is time to post some pictures along with descriptions.

If you look back through my posts to the installation of the 100AH battery, you will see how it was mounted. Since the 200AH battery is much larger, there was no way to fit it in. That left me with trying to figure out how it would best fit with the least amount of re-wiring. It hit me then. Turn it 90 degrees and install with the terminal ends close to where the old terminals were. 

The first thing was to figure out how much larger it needed to be. I removed the old battery and determined that I could cut out an opening that would let the battery protrude into the pass-into storage (not pass through since there is no opening on the other side). I would lose a little space there, but could rearrange what I carry and likely eliminate some things that have not been used because they are more suited for when we will be sitting somewhere for at least a week or more. Otherwise, they are just too cumbersome to use on a daily basis. These include some stabilizers that do work to stop some of the shaking that the stabilizers don't seem to handle very well.

I used the foam tray that was padding the battery in the shipping box to get the basic size. I felt it would be good to use it with the battery also to cushion the battery from road bumps. I figured out the size and cut the paneling between the existing compartment and the basement outside accessible storage after moving stowed items out of the way. I built a framework and support for an additional raised floor section to match the floor I had put in the prior battery compartment to cover the wires and plumbing. This picture shows the completed framework.

The double cleats at the bottom are to both hold the new panels and to hold the floor. This will be evident in the next picture.

After assembling it, I ended up having to take off the end panel because the battery would not clear the cleats that were part of the original compartment. I did not want to remove them because they do help support the bed platform.

Now for the final picture. This shows the battery installed and connected. I did have to switch out negative battery cables because the one that I used with the 100A battery was a little too short to reach. I did not route it through the hole I previously cut for the old cable because the one I used was not that much longer. I reset the battery meter for the larger capacity and the converter charged it. It is now running the refrigerator. The seller said, "When using for the first time, please complete a cycle of deep discharge and full charge so that the battery capacity will be automatically corrected." This is what I am doing now. Plus, this will give me a good idea of how long I can run the refrigerator on battery. I'll add information about that after I get this initial setting done.

One thing that surprised me about this battery is that the manual states that it has a "Low temperature heating function."  There is an internal heating plate that will warm the battery so that it can be charged in temperatures as low as -31F (-35C) and high as 122F (50C). Discharge temperatures are -4F (-20C) to 140F (60C). This will really be helpful if we need to camp in freezing temperatures again.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 8:53pm
Yes. I opted to turn it 90 degrees and build an addition to the compartment where the other one was. It will take away a bit of underneath storage, but it will mean that I won't have to run new wiring. I'll be able to use all the wiring that is there with the possible exception of the negative battery terminal wire. I might need to make a new one that is a bit longer. I'm not sure about that though.

Pictures will be forthcoming as soon as I am done.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 58>