R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 58>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 1:05pm
You might find this an interesting read.

Lithium longevity
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 12:55pm
When I did the discharge to 55% and recharged, it was still reading low. I reset the meter to recognize that the battery charge was 100% and the AH reading changed to 200AH. So, hopefully now the meter is calibrated to the battery and the battery's BMS is properly calibrated.

I still have not gotten an answer from the seller as to what constitutes a "deep discharge." I got an answer that was not relevant to that question. Such an imprecise term as "deep discharge" should not be used unless it is defined so that the reader will understand what that means. I wrote back and asked them to define what was meant. Hopefully, I will hear something back and then I hope they will revise the instruction manual to include that definition.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 12:33pm
I wasn't expecting it to. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the monitor you have. Just pointing out what settings are used to get really precise SOC measurements. A less expensive monitor without all the settings won't be as precise. As I said before, your monitor is only about 5% off right now, that's actually pretty good.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 5:10pm
Well, the AiLi monitor is not nearly as sophisticated nor as expensive as the Victron monitor.  https://smile.amazon.com/AiLi-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Voltage-Motorhome/dp/B07FGFFHC6/

It does not have the range of settings, but it does serve the purpose.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 4:59pm
It shouldn't matter. The monitor reads a voltage across the shunt and interprets it as a current flow. Since it is clocking amphours in and out it would need to be disconnected for a considerable time to effect the capacity measurement.

A capacity monitor should be able to use the full charge battery voltage to reset itself to 100% SOC. Otherwise it would build up errors if you were say to cycle the battery between 50 and 80 percent for a long time. By using full charge voltage to reset occasionally it knows that that battery is at 100% SOC. Since Li batteries can have differing full charge voltages does your capacity monitor have a setting where you can adjust that?

A good battery capacity monitor has a bunch of other settings too. Here for example is Victron's monitor setup parameters.

Victron
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 4:18pm
Okay. Then it may be just a matter of letting it learn the new battery. I set the capacity from the factory default 100AH manually to 200AH per the information I was able to find about it. I'm thinking of disconnecting the meter's connection to the shunt and then reconnecting it to see if that helps.

Edit: I finally found a copy of the instruction sheet for the meter. Turns out I needed to reset the meter to let it know that the battery was fully charged. 
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 4:01pm
At the start of your discharge test your monitor thought you had 200AH? Some amphour capacity meters use a moving average approach to determine battery capacity. Effectively they need some cycles to "learn" what capacity the battery has. So they aren't very accurate to start with. A 5% error isn't that much really.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 3:31pm
I discharged it (running my new refrigerator for a day and a half) until the meter said I had about 110AH remaining. I used a calculator and figured out what it was at 55% and the meter's percent reading agreed with that. Since that matched up, I stopped discharging (turned the refrigerator off) and started charging. When it stopped, it was at 191 AH, or 95%.

I wrote JITA-US to ask about how deep a deep discharge needed to be and why the meter was not reading 200AH when fully charged. I'm trying to find the manual for the meter to see what might need to be programmed there besides changing the capacity.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 3:19pm

How are you determining when you're at 55%?
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 2:25pm
Thanks. I got done with a deep discharge which in my case, was down to 55%. The original reading of the battery was not at 100% (200AH) on the initial charge. After a discharge to 55%, it recharged to 191AH, or about 95%. I am going to write to see how deep this battery needs to be discharged to get the readings to be accurate.

It also might be a meter problem. I may need to factory reset the meter, not just change the capacity.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 58>