R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 58>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mr. Scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mr. Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 1:02pm
Fantastic, Stephen.  Thanks.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 9:16pm
This is the start of the description of the 100A LiFePO4 battery install. Pictures are later.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Mr. Scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mr. Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 5:21pm
Thanks.
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 5:17pm
I have to leave now, so I don't have time to post it. However, I can say that this new refrigerator is very quiet. I would have to say that it isn't much louder than our old one with the fans I installed in it to help with the cooling.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Mr. Scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mr. Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 5:02pm
Thanks so much, Stephen, for all your work and sharing it with us. I've got a lot to digest here, and I'm a tyro when it comes to this stuff.  We had a compressor fridge in a slide-in pop up truck camper years ago, and it worked great, but it was a little noisy.  What is the sound output of your unit?  I think we, too, will go with a 200ah Lion batt.  We're fed up with malfunctioning 3-ways.  I'm going to bookmark this thread!

PS:  Can you tell me which page of this thread I can find the initial batter mount info?
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 8:54am
I am really pleased with the energy consumption I have observed so far. I would never have been able to run the RM-8501 on battery for so long. I couldn't even get 8 hours out of dual-6V batteries. For me, reliable cooling is important. The additional insulation I added will help as well as the fan I wired in with a thermostatic switch https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026RYU4W/ that I wired in series with the fan. It turns on at 100F and turns off at 85F. I used zip ties to strap it to the compressor. I think it will prove helpful to move heat out of the rear compartment and save more energy than it uses.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 6:02am
Not at all surprised by the fridge energy consumption. The weather is starting to get hotter now. Front loaders are less well insulated than chest fridges, especially around the door seal. If you get into some really hot weather you will probably use close to that in 24 hours. The 200AH battery is a good choice, and you don't have to agonize if you need to cycle it more than 50 %.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

With you being a 1/3rd larger frig than I, I'm surprised by the draw.

Yet I don't know: Is it loaded? From a warm start? Ambient temp? Setting on frig? 

The readings I took were from a pre-cooled refrigerator. It was empty. It was on the next-to-highest setting.

I'm pleased with it. When I put the 200AH battery in it, I needed to do a deep draw (still trying to find out how deep "deep" is). I started with a warm refrigerator and about a day and a half later on the same settings, I had used about 90AH. Just how much, I am not sure of because I was also trying to calibrate the meter.  Now, this was with nothing else running. Again, it was on empty and the next to the highest setting. I expect I won't be doing any long-term boondocking, but for our purposes, I will be happy with the power use. Plus, I now have the 100AH battery available for ham radio use.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 3:46pm
Yes, even if most of the information applied to Lithium Ion and not LiFePO4. Table 2 was the one that was of interest. I think that the larger battery and trying to keep it above 50% SoC would likely give me the best outcome. The trailer will be gone long before I would exceed the number of cycles indicated. 3000 cycles if it were taken to 50% every day would be over 8 years. Most likely, it would stay above that and give an even longer life.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 3:39pm
With you being a 1/3rd larger frig than I, I'm surprised by the draw.

Yet I don't know: Is it loaded? From a warm start? Ambient temp? Setting on frig? 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 58>