R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 58>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Geezerbill View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Geezerbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 11:32am
Regarding the water system sanitation. Can you please elaborate some on the process? Do you drain the system of bleach and then refill the complete system with the baking soda mix? What are the quantities of baking soda, lemon and vinegar?

Thank you so much. 

Bill
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 6:38pm
Here is a real quick one. How many RP-179 owners have been frustrated at the panel below the refrigerator that keeps falling off? I know I was. After our last trip where it fell off again, I decided enough is enough.

I took a piece of the fabric that I used for making the dinette modification cushions. My wife used her serger to serge around the edges so that it would not unravel. I then took a thin board about the same width as the aluminum frame under the refrigerator. I stapled the fabric to the board on the back side of how the fabric would hang, letting it fold over the top and hang down. Three screws hold it in place. It covers the unsightly lines and pipes and will allow easy retrieval if anything should fall down there again (as it has in the past). Being fabric, I won't have to worry if it hits something as the slide is being extended or retracted either.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Kahonu37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kahonu37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by JA-Pod

A followup to StephenH,  Installed the bar under the floor of my 179,  although my floor was not having a sagging issue,  it always seemed a bit soft,  after installing the bar it is very solid,  it was a good investment.  Simple design, measure between the frame,  the welder subtracted 1/8 inch to allow the bar to be maneuvered into place.  there was 1/4 in difference between StephenH's bar and the one for my pod and as he said  no two pods are the same! I installed it 15 in from the grey water tank support, just to the right of the left door frame.  Thankyou John Marrucci,  although you went through a fair amount of frustration with FR,  you posting has helped a great deal. 

What size tube did you all use??
Regards
M
2018 179
2012 NISSAN XTERRA (retired 12/19)
2019 RAM 1500 WARLOCK (new)
A.R.E. V Series Topper
WDH Equalizer 600/6000
Kahonu37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kahonu37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by JA-Pod

A followup to StephenH,  Installed the bar under the floor of my 179,  although my floor was not having a sagging issue,  it always seemed a bit soft,  after installing the bar it is very solid,  it was a good investment.  Simple design, measure between the frame,  the welder subtracted 1/8 inch to allow the bar to be maneuvered into place.  there was 1/4 in difference between StephenH's bar and the one for my pod and as he said  no two pods are the same! I installed it 15 in from the grey water tank support, just to the right of the left door frame.  Thankyou John Marrucci,  although you went through a fair amount of frustration with FR,  you posting has helped a great deal. 

What size tube did you all use??
Regards
M
2018 179
2012 NISSAN XTERRA (retired 12/19)
2019 RAM 1500 WARLOCK (new)
A.R.E. V Series Topper
WDH Equalizer 600/6000
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 10:23pm
I still have not gotten a picture of the setup with antennas, but I did get the radio and tuner as well as a switch panel and LED light strip mounted. These came in a go-box that was just too big to fit in the RPod. The go box is in the house holding a power supply and other accessories for the radio inside.

The radio is an ICOM IC-7100 and the tuner is an MFJ-939I I also have a Motorola speaker mounted (after the picture was taken). It works pretty well, although the real test will be how it works when we travel.

I do not show the antenna or tuner cables connected. The good thing about the head unit is that it connects via a cable and can be moved along with the microphone when in use, then stowed when not needed.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 4:40pm
They are BNC connectors. I used BNC because they are waterproof when connected and the caps make them waterproof when they are not being used. They are also easier to connect and disconnect than the PL/SO connectors. The connector to the left is a 4-conductor connector for the AH-4 antenna tuner. I guess I need to put a picture of everything set up and connected.

The bottom connector is for the HF antenna. The top connector is for the VHF/UHF antenna. Since I travel with an Icom IC-7100, I only have to carry one transciever.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 4:16pm
Nice! Why two PL259 connectors and is the connector to the left a power connector?

73's
KN4VBT
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 6:59pm
Here's a little modification that combines two hobbies - camping and ham radio.

One problem with ham radio is in running cables for antennas and if needed, an antenna tuner. I had resorted to trying to fit the cables in the space between the slide-out and the wall through the space with the rubber seal or through the window. I was concerned with damaging the rubber seal and through the window is an issue that there is then a gap  that can let insects in. I could have made a plug to fit in the window, but I decided to do something that would work and not block the view from any window. I decided to make a pass-through that would go into the wall below the slide-out and the cables would be inside the front ottoman. 

Because I use an Icom IC-7100, which supports HF, VHF, and UHF operations, I needed to run two antenna cables and a cable for the AH-4 antenna tuner for the Eagle One antenna I use when portable operation. So, now I will just need to move the radio in its carrier and the head unit from the truck to the RPod when I want to switch from mobile to portable operations. I till make it nicer for Field Day.

Outside view:

Inside view:

I sealed it with Lexel clear sealant. It should provide excellent protection without the down-sides of silicone. It is also can be painted if necessary or desired. The black sealant is liquid electrical tape.

The last part modified was to add a notch to the side of the ottoman in order to pass the wires through. That way, they can be coiled up out of the way when not being used, but fed though while still allowing use of the ottoman.

If wanted, one could use SO-239 connectors, but I decided on BNC connectors because they are waterproof while connected and the cover makes them waterproof while not being used.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 8:39am
Hello Fred,

Welcome and congratulations on your 2021 RP 179. May you have many fun adventures and make many great memories in your travels.

Your cabinet mod sounds interesting. Please do a write-up with pictures. You should start your own mods topic for it. It would be interesting to see what other mods you have done, I would like to see pictures of the 7 cu-ft refrigerator. We can't do this one because our microwave is above the refrigerator and we use the space under the stove for storage of pots, other cookware, and other items in bins for easy access. We also carry our induction cook top and our tea kettle in that space.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
flarimer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote flarimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 2:49pm
I just finished a mod to get access to that space by the door. In the 2021 179, they gave us a 7 cubic foot fridge/freezer. It works great.  A pleasant surprise! The convection/microwave was installed under the counter in the space by the door under the cooktop. There was almost a 12" high space, roughly 24" by 30" left unused under the conv/microwave.. A rubber gas line ran vertically through the space  and some wires ran across the back. I relocated the gas line to better use the space.

The big problem was how to make a door. The cabinetry around the access to the space was like a picture frame. There was a panel stapled to the back of the face frame that was easy to knock loose. How to make that panel into an easy to use door?  The answer is magnets.  First I added a 5mm baltic birch to the back of the panel. I mounted a drawer handle on the panel. I drilled some tiny location holes through the cabinet face frame and the panel. I drilled out the location holes to 1/2" and deep enough so the magnets would fit flush. . I glued some 1/2" diameter magnets in the 1/2" holes careful of the polarity. 

So far we have small folding chairs, foot stools, side tables and extra water hose in that space. This freed up space in the forward storage area under the bed.
Fred 2021 Rpod 179, 2016 Honda Pilot E2 wds/sway
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 58>