R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ouR escaPOD mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ouR escaPOD mods
    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 1:33pm
No, the ends on the main angle are not welded. I welded tabs on the sides of the angle, but only am using them for the U bolts I am using and then it is only to hold them in place. The angle is clamped pretty tight to the axle as it should not be slipping. That would put it at risk of slipping into the way of and interfering with the arms. My clamping tube and angle is done this way: I notched the square tubing to the shape of the smaller angle I am using for the top clamp. The angle is welded into this notch. That is what is sealed. The angle, not being pierced, does not give a place for water to leak in between the angle and the axle. I did fill the square tube with foam, partly to keep water out and partly to keep wasps or other pests out of the tubes. I did paint everything before doing this.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by StephenH

The angle iron is welded to the square tubing with no openings on the bottom so that would not be a route of entry. I will check to make sure that there is ventilation. I already put foam in so I may end up having to cut it out. I should have waited. Oh well, live and learn. Ouch

If I read this correctly, you welded the ends closed?
Don't know if I would have done that.. unless the entire angle was welded on.. and I don't think I would do that either.

Not being a ME of any sort, my mind says the axle and the support should be able to react independent of each other, each doing what they can to assist each other.

I really like this! And really like having more smarter friends than I!

2018 RPOD 182g 'Lily'
2017 Tacoma SR5
Life is good!

Spirit of Adventure WebSite
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 4:52pm
I think a lot of this is creating a problem that’s not there. We both primed and painted our angles and axles prior to installation so any corrosion issues will only occur after that coating is compromised. The corrosion protection of the rpod frame is poor at best so other problems are likely to surface first. I just had to completely grind and recoat my A frame because the coating was pretty much gone on it.
2015 Rpod 179
2012 Toyota Highlander
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 3:40pm
The angle iron is welded to the square tubing with no openings on the bottom so that would not be a route of entry. I will check to make sure that there is ventilation. I already put foam in so I may end up having to cut it out. I should have waited. Oh well, live and learn. Ouch
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 2:51pm
SH, if you close the ends with foam you are creating a new problem. The water that will seep in between the axle on the angle iron will be trapped in the opening at the bottom. If you leave it open you can blow some air through every once in while so it can dry out,
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 1:45pm
Yes, capillary action is the exception although it only takes place in certain circumstances where the water is drawn uphill. As a general rule, water does only run downhill.The space between the curve at the bottom of the axle and the V of the reinforcement is enough so that I don't expect capillary action to stop water that gets into the bottom to be affected, but it might along the flat parts that are in contact. That is why the angle got multiple coats of primer/paint and I made sure to touch the axle up before joining the parts together.

I'm thinking of squirting a little expanding foam into the square channels to fill them and keep water out of them.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 7:27pm
I brought my iPhone into the Santa Cruz mystery spot and was using it as a level to measure the buildings and I had to fight them off so they wouldn’t take it away from me. It’s difficult to tell if something is level or not when it’s on the side of a steep hill, which is where the mystery spot is. So maybe the effects there aren’t quite as real as all that.

Water does run uphill though, it’s called capillary action (aka wicking) and can easily wet surfaces inches higher than the water level when the surfaces are close together. So a little 3/8 inch height difference between the ends and the middle of the axle will almost certainly get wet.
2015 Rpod 179
2012 Toyota Highlander
crw8sr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote crw8sr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 6:09pm
Darn StephenH you ruin it!  I thought that was real.
Thumbs Up
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, a Morkie
Zoe Joy, a rescue Yorkie

2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 5:50pm
I can understand a Mystery Hill in NC being full of optical illusions, but not the Mystery Spot near Santa Cruz.  There all the stuff is true.  Confused
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Our Pod 172
2004 Dodge Dakota 4x4 v8
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 3:59pm
It probably appears to be running uphill. It is like some of the "magnetic" roads where it looks like a car is being pulled uphill. It is an optical illusion though. Mystery Hill in Boone, NC is one such example. (see also Gravity Hills).
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>