R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew 179 Owners ( Southern Oregon )

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 179 Owners ( Southern Oregon )
    Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 6:33pm
Hello Everyone,

I'm glad I found this Forum. My name is Kevin and my wife is Nancy and we purchased an Rpod 179 last evening for the coming Camping season. We're really excited and looking forward to some great new adventures. We're hoping we can make one of the West Coast meet ups in the near future. I'm sure I'll be asking you all lots of questions as I get to know all of you here. 

I'll post some pics once I pic it up. Our TV is a 2007 Honda Ridgeline which has ample power for the Rpod. I have the lift so we can dry camp in some of the more obscure areas we have here in Oregon and Northern California. 

I already began scowering your modifications sight and I'm looking forward to some projects once we get the unit out and see what we may need and want to use. I do have a question though right now, my Ridgeline has a nice Tow package on it and I do have a brake controller already installed on it. But I wanted to know more about a sway bar setup and if that's something I may need? If so, can you recommend one to me? Any suggestions for safety would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Camping,

Kevin  Big smile
2016 Rpod 179, 2007 Honda Ridgeline
DaveC3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 6:39pm
Kevin
Congrats on your new purchase.  We have had our 180 almost a month now and have enjoyed traveling and camping so far.  We will be heading your way at the end of the month.  We will take in a few national parks on the way to Seattle.  After Seattle we are going to the "Pods in the Pines" get-together May 20-23.  It is in northern California. Check it out.

I am sure you will enjoy your Pod.  Lots of good advice in this forum.

Take care

Dave
2016 R-Pod 180
2015 Ford Explorer Limited
DoodlePod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 6:59pm
Hi Dave,

Thank you very much. We looked at the 180 as well. My wife liked the large kitchen in the back so the 179 won the day. You can't argue with the Mrs.....Big smile  I saw the " Pods in the Pines " event and I'm bummed that I probably won't be able to make that. I was looking at next years event so I can schedule the time off to attend. 

You'll have a great time in Seattle, we really like it there!  Safe travels and it gives me great confidence in our purchase decision knowing people like yourself are really enjoying their Rpods.

Kevin  
2016 Rpod 179, 2007 Honda Ridgeline
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 7:16pm
Welcome to the group!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 7:37pm
Hi Kevin,  We purchased a basic swaybar for our 177 back in 2011 and still use it, works great.  Very similar to the Camco 57521 shown on Amazon, sells for around 50 bucks.  You have a good tv so the anti sway bar should be sufficient, but there will be many out there who will say to go with the WDH for safety sake and a smoother ride.  I cannot speak from experience about the WDH but am pleased with the anti-sway bar we use.  We tow with an Explorer and have been in some pretty rough situations, high cross winds and haven't had problems with the pod swaying behind us.  If you do purchase this unit it is extremely important to loosen it BEFORE backing up or else you will ruin the unit, and find out you cannot back up your trailer as it will continue to back up straight.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply