Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need info about towing vehicle
    Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by johnmaci

Originally posted by Los Viajeros

Going to look at a 2009 Lexus G X 470 today. Only has 23k miles. Not great on gas but can pull up to 7000.

I looked at those also until I saw the back hatch is not a hatch, but a side opening door; Figured it would be too much trouble loading/unloading stuff when the trailer is connected.

I believe the upper glass opens separately.  While not as handy as having the entire hatch open, you would still have some access to the back when hitched.  But that would be a bit of a pain, wouldn't it?
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 6:47pm

Going to look at a 2009 Lexus G X 470 today. Only has 23k miles. Not great on gas but can pull up to 7000.

A very nice V8 4Runner in disguise!! You are correct it won't be great on fuel, but it will be very nice inside and handles very well for a full body on frame. Also quite off-road capable.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 6:07pm
good point
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 6:01pm

I looked at those also until I saw the back hatch is not a hatch, but a side opening door; Figured it would be too much trouble loading/unloading stuff when the trailer is connected.
Los Viajeros View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 8:09am
Dale and Sonja
grand beaver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 10:06pm
Another plug for the current generation Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel. The mileage will be better, the torque will be significant and those "cars" ride nice. My favorite option (ok Im a bit biased) would be the Ford Explorer Sport Ecoboost. All wheel drive, tons of horsepower, boosted so performance will not suffer in the mountains. IMHO both would be fine offroad for most folks...
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 6:23pm

Just bought an r-pod and looking for an SUV type vehicle that's good for off-road, comfortable for long distances, and not a truck. Would an FJ Cruiser do the job? 

This depends on your budget and what kind of off-road.

4WD, SUV, V6 as a minimum engine. Almost all mid-sized SUV's will be comfortable and able to do some off-road, but for serious trails you would need lockers and either air suspension or the ability to lift. A lift would hurt the towing characteristics of an SUV.

Also, how far would you like to tow? Mountainous highways, long uphill pulls? Better to get a V8 or diesel if that's what you'd like to do.

If you had a 2010 Touareg TDI with lockers and air suspension, you would have it all. That was, I think, the last model year for those two features in the USA. From 2011 onward, there is no air suspension or lockers. It would drive circles around an FJ on the road, and tows 7700 pounds. The FJ would of course be more capable off-road, cost less, cheaper to repair and own. Limit is 5000 pounds on the FJ (not positive on that).
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
dacolson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by David

You might try doing a "search" on tow vehicles, by clicking on the upper right icon. It is a subject that gets discussed quite a bit and there are many opinions.

Also, there is a thread "pictures of tow vehicles" in this (Introduce Yourself) forum. There are many pages of photos of owner's tow vehicles. This may help narrow your "potential" choices.

Here's a recent thread:

Dave - 2016 Silverado 2500HD LML - 2010 RP172T
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 2:08pm
I'd recommend one that is rated for at least 5000 pounds of towing capacity and 500 pounds tongue weight. We use a Toyota Highlander, whose specs are exactly that and wouldn't really want anything with less capacity.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 11:39am
You might try doing a "search" on tow vehicles, by clicking on the upper right icon. It is a subject that gets discussed quite a bit and there are many opinions.

Also, there is a thread "pictures of tow vehicles" in this (Introduce Yourself) forum. There are many pages of photos of owner's tow vehicles. This may help narrow your "potential" choices.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>