R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery Trojan T105 vs X2??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Trojan T105 vs X2??
    Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Outbound

Adding onto furpod's comment: stick with deep cycle batteries.  They'll stand up to the discharge/recharge cycles much better; a hybrid battery really should be used in a situation where it's fairly constantly recharged to 100% (i.e. by an alternator in a vehicle).
Deep cycle batteries tend to all have around the same number of amp hours per pound.  So, decide how many amp hours you need first and then look to the weight, size, and price options that work for you.  I tend to use 30-40 amp hours per day in the spring/fall when the furnace is going.
One thought about dry camping with lead-acid batteries and a generator:  Your goal is to not let your batteries drop below 50%.  Lead-acid batteries bulk charge to 80% of capacity fairly quickly (1-2 hours) after which they charge exponentially slower (8-10 hours).  Ideally, when dry camping, stick to that sweet spot - allowing your batteries to drop no lower than 50% and then charge to 80%.  This minimizes your run time and keeps your batteries in good condition.  At the end of your trip, make sure to charge to 100%.
For me, with a pair of group 24 deep cycle batteries, this means I charge for 1.5 hours every other day in the summer, and every day in the spring/autumn when I'm running the furnace.

Thank You for the points you make.
More for me to consider.
Dave & Joyce
Never Forget, In God We Trust; This Our National Motto.
Member; Patriot Guard Riders, Michigan Chapter
Retired; So Every Day is Saturday.... Except Sunday
Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 4:42am
Originally posted by David

I'll throw in my $.02 and more or less echo furpod.

If you want the MAXIMUM available power between charges, then the 2 Trojans are about as good as it gets - performance vs. price.

That said, I run 2 group 24 "hybrids" ($150 total). They fit my "style".

Though I prefer primitive camping, really, most of it is done with electrical hook ups available.
In the places where it is not, most have campsites where generators are allowed.
I have one of the quiet generators and only MUST have enough power to last thru the "quiet hours".

If I am not running the furnace, transmitting on my radio, or watching a lot of television (I use an inverter), the batteries will last for several days between charges.

IMHO, the best way to approach the "battery problem" is to ask:

How much power do I intend to use?
How often and for how long (each time) due I want to recharge?

A battery does not "make" power - it is just a "storage container". If you take out/use 50 amp/hrs, at some point, you got to put those electrons back in. The WFCO converter/charger is going to charge at a given rate - no matter what battery(s) are connected.

Most of the time, for most of my camping, a single hybrid would do fine.   But, again, that is MY usage/style.

David you mentioned watching TV via inverter. Can you give me the details for that? Boondocking as we will be doing, it would be nice to catch a bit of TV watching every now and then. Is that a big draw on the battery?
Thanks
Dave & Joyce
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 7:02am
Here is my inverter set up:

David's inverter

If you like watching a LOT of TV when dry camping, buying a 12vdc television would be more "battery friendly". My 55 watt (@120vac)television uses about 5 amps when running through the inverter. So, watching television for 10 hours would equal 50 amp/hours.

My usage is kind of similar to Outbound's. In the Fall, it gets dark early and it's cold. I tend to spend more time inside watching TV and running the furnace. I guesstimate my usage at 40 amp/hours, per day - give or take. I charge daily for about 2-3 hours (2 - 1 to 1 1/2 hour periods). As the temperature drops, batteries lose capacity, which also works against us.

In moderate weather, I have gone as much as 4 days and still had good batteries.

As far as lifespan, I got 5 years out of my last pair of RV/Marine (hybrid) batteries. Some have gotten more. The lifespan is a function of charge/discharge cycles - not necessarily age.   The Trojans will take more cycles than the hybrids, due to their more robust construction.

There are many factors to consider. The "right" answer is the one that works best for you and fits your camping "style".

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 7:44am
Let me add to my post....

One of the bigger mistakes one can make with batteries is to over-discharge them. This kills them and we will find ourselves shopping for new ones, in short order.

The golf cart batteries can be taken down to roughly 50% S.O.C. (state of charge), as mentioned. My experience with the RV/Marine (hybrids) is more like 70%. At this point, they are getting close to 12 volts and need recharged. My 2 group 24 batteries give me about 55 amp/hours before reaching this point. The math and real world experience agree with each other on this.
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 8:19am
As a price to performance compromise, have you looked at these:
https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sligc115
I purchased two of these 6v (230AH) to connect in series for 12v.
Around $100 each after 10% coupon + core charge.

I have them encased in a TorkLift Locking Battery Box:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/TorkLift/TLA7708R.html

I only boondock for a week at a time, and have a Renogy 100w suitcase solar panel to keep things topped off (no genny). Im finding more parks are begining to ban the use of portable generators (built-in so far are still acceptable).
If I were a heavy power user, I don't think 100w would be sufficient and would add another (2) 100w panels on the roof.

That said, my needs are minimal since we have a 12v TV, no inverter, and use propane for everything (coffee percolator, tea pot, etc.). We have a cuisinart BBQ grill outside as well as a coleman stove.
Your enemy, as others have mentioned will be the furnace fan. IMHO, two GC batteries would do you well.
Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 8:26am
Originally posted by johnmaci

As a price to performance compromise, have you looked at these:https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sligc115I purchased two of these 6v (230AH) to connect in series for 12v.Around $100 each after 10% coupon + core charge.I have them encased in a TorkLift Locking Battery Box:https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/TorkLift/TLA7708R.htmlI only boondock for a week at a time, and have a Renogy 100w suitcase solar panel to keep things topped off (no genny). Im finding more parks are begining to ban the use of portable generators (built-in so far are still acceptable). If I were a heavy power user, I don't think 100w would be sufficient and would add another (2) 100w panels on the roof.That said, my needs are minimal since we have a 12v TV, no inverter, and use propane for everything (coffee percolator, tea pot, etc.). We have a cuisinart BBQ grill outside as well as a coleman stove. Your enemy, as others have mentioned will be the furnace fan. IMHO, two GC batteries would do you well.

Thanks for the reply.
I'll take a look at the Durcell.
I sure like your battery box.
Dave & Joyce
ohio179 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 8:50am
David,
I see you mentioned transmitting on your radio, are you by chance a ham radio operator? We are planning on picking up a 179 in about a week and I plan on operating ham radio from it as well.

I hope I'm not out of line asking this on this thread.

Thanks
Tim

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 9:00am
ohio179  welcome to the group!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 10:24am
Originally posted by ohio179

David,
I see you mentioned transmitting on your radio, are you by chance a ham radio operator? We are planning on picking up a 179 in about a week and I plan on operating ham radio from it as well.
I hope I'm not out of line asking this on this thread.
Thanks
Tim

First, welcome! It is always good to have another "ham" on the forum.

click this link

I hope to activate a National Park or two for the ARRL National Parks on the Air. Also, if you go to my page on QRZ.com, there is a link to the Hoosier DX & Contesters site. There is info there on this year's Indiana QSO Party. I'll be portable in Jefferson County (one of our original 15) for the INQP/Indiana Bicentennial Celebration.

Oops, almost forgot....my callsign is WA9DU.

73!

http://www.qrz.com/
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Patriot Dave

Originally posted by johnmaci

As a price to performance compromise, have you looked at these:https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sligc115I purchased two of these 6v (230AH) to connect in series for 12v.Around $100 each after 10% coupon + core charge.I have them encased in a TorkLift Locking Battery Box:https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/TorkLift/TLA7708R.htmlI only boondock for a week at a time, and have a Renogy 100w suitcase solar panel to keep things topped off (no genny). Im finding more parks are begining to ban the use of portable generators (built-in so far are still acceptable). If I were a heavy power user, I don't think 100w would be sufficient and would add another (2) 100w panels on the roof.That said, my needs are minimal since we have a 12v TV, no inverter, and use propane for everything (coffee percolator, tea pot, etc.). We have a cuisinart BBQ grill outside as well as a coleman stove. Your enemy, as others have mentioned will be the furnace fan. IMHO, two GC batteries would do you well.

Thanks for the reply.
I'll take a look at the Durcell.
I sure like your battery box.

I'm using those same batteries as well. So far, so good. I used 4 gauge wire and some heavy duty terminals from Lowes. I could not get my crimper to even dent the terminals, so I used a hammer and smashed them onto the wire. The connection is plenty secure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>