R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLagun Table Mounting System

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lagun Table Mounting System
    Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 11:46pm
My wife installed a Lagun Adjustable Swiveling Cockpit Table Mounting System last week, and it's great!  She re-used the existing table top for now, but we'll eventually replace it.  She welded up a bracket (from some scrap) which mounts in the pass-through area to connect the systems' vertical plate to the floor, backing plates under the pod help distribute the forces. This obstructs the pass through somewhat, but we didn't see any alternatives.

The table now swivels around both the vertical bar and the center of table itself, allowing it to be moved into various positions. It can also be adjusted vertically, and removed totally off it's mount. The vertical bar itself can be removed and attached to underneath the table. The whole thing then placed down into it's original bed support configuration.  Only takes a minute to setup and take down.

So far we've taken it down while underway and used the original straps to secure it while underway, but we've talked about adding an attachment point to the back wall so we can simply lower it and tie it down without having to take it all apart. This would make it even easier to have it available during the day if we're stopping for lunch.

Being a cantilevered top it's not quite as steady as the old table, even with large backing plates it inevitably flexes a little... so no kids on the table, for sure. Still reasonable solid feeling, and perfectly usable.  Having leg space, being able to move it out of the way to get up and down, position to the back to have open floor space... it's awesome. Great product, all aluminum, works very well. Highly recommend.

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 6:35am
Really nice work!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 11:16am
I did a similar mod to our 2015 179 by eliminating the table and mounting a table that swivels on a pedestal stand that has a wide base - a piece of 3/4 ply 2 ft square.  One just has to learn to not lean on the table when getting up  -- good exercise for the quads...
Shelpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 5:12pm
Where did you get the Lagun arm system?  It looks to be made in Sweden and selling in Australia, NZ, UK but I couldn't find it from a US supplier.  How necessary is the welded reinforcement?  Could you get enough stability from some kind of wood reinforcement for the cabinet?  What kind of plate did you use under the pod? I have no welding skills but can handle woodworking well.
Pod: 2013 178
TV: 2014 Explorer Limited with tow package
timpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Shelpod

Where did you get the Lagun arm system?  It looks to be made in Sweden and selling in Australia, NZ, UK but I couldn't find it from a US supplier.  How necessary is the welded reinforcement?  Could you get enough stability from some kind of wood reinforcement for the cabinet?  What kind of plate did you use under the pod? I have no welding skills but can handle woodworking well.

We ordered it form the UK: http://www.marineteak.co.uk

You definitely need reinforcement. The rear settee is only 1/8" ply. I don't see why you couldn't build a wood support structure. Maybe an angle bracket made of 2x6 sides with a solid 2" triangle, counter-sink lag bolts through the 2x6s into the triangle and bolt through 2x6s (on either side of the 2" triangle) for the table bracket and through the floor to the backing plate.  Because of the framing of the settee, we used a wood filler piece to span the distance from the front plywood to the angle bracket, but you could build that into your wood support.

When we first got it installed it flexed a bit more than we wanted. All our supports and bolts where fine, it was the floor flexing. The trailer floor is light ply sandwich with foam insulation inside and it's not that stiff, so we ended up with a large backing plate to keep it from flexing too much.  I think we started with a small a aluminum plate, but ended up adding another much larger piece of 1/2" plywood under that.

We were just out in the pod last weekend and still love the table.

2016 Pod 172
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Shelpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 7:05pm
Thank you for the input.  I thought I would have to get it from the UK.  I am thinking that since the pressure will be primarily down on the table that the triangular bracing would be better going toward the table rather than away.  I will have to look at the cabinetry and see if I can somehow wrap it inside the storage with some 2X6 or better and a triangle or long brace at the corners going toward the table.  My 178 is a bit more open in the storage area under the benches then your model without the heater or water heater in the way. Might also eliminate the need for the additional backing under the floor which is very flimsy as you stated. That would leave the storage area nearly unencumbered also which would be good in my opinion since storage is limited.  Still thinking, but this looks like an almost ideal setup.  I am 6'5" with giant feet and would really like having the openness underneath the tableWink
Pod: 2013 178
TV: 2014 Explorer Limited with tow package
 Post Reply Post Reply