Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJayco Hummingbird r-pod clone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jayco Hummingbird r-pod clone
    Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 1:24pm
I've been watching to see one of these come to a dealer nearby (Eastern PA). Closest to me so far is Erie. From what I gather, there is at least a $2k price difference so far on comparable units on RV trader (17RB vs RP-180). My local dealer says they have not even been given a build date for their first order yet...so it may be September until they see any come in. 
SuperDudeAbides View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 4:45pm
Lots of the Hummingbirds in stock in the Midwest, yet oddly, the 179 is tough to find, only 2 (new) in a 2-3 hours drive of KC area. 

From what I have seen here - the 2017 Hummingbird is priced near the 2017 R-Pod. (But that's not a real apples to apples) A loaded R-Pod is almost as much as a Hummingbird with Awing, power jack, and grill options that the Pod does not include.

Additionally, the Pods TELL you they have R-9 roof and floor, the Hummingbird does not say what insulation is present but offers an OPTION of sealed underbelly with reflective insulation. 

So it's nearly impossible to compare one to the other because as similar as they are, they are very different. 
FireMechanic View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 1:41am
Hello everyone,
New to the forum and have been doing a ton of research between the Jayco Hummingbird 17RB and the Rpod 180. First of all the Winnebago DROP is out. So the dealbreaker for me is the larger three way fridge and the new THULE awning that's in-closed on the Rpod versus the exposed awning which is electric on the Jayco Hummingbird.   I don't need an electric awning. One thing that I looked very very closely at was the models and sizes of the refrigerators. There seems to be a huge difference in them and the models installed and the actual sizes and operations of the refrigerators. Depending on the production runs of certain refrigerators they can change them to others without notice. I do prefer the Dometic three-way approximately 4 cu ft. fridge. I also like to add thermostatically controlled cooling fans to the rear of my refrigerators for more efficiency. Also driving down the road on 12V letting my alternator help my battery system recover so I don't have a live propane tank system. I think it's just a bit safer.
I do like the rear bumper on the Jayco, however the new Rpod has a full-size sewer tube mounted underneath. The new Rpods colors are gorgeous along with two aluminum steps that have been mounted on it. Also the thermostatic controls for heating and cooling being on the wall make much more sense.   The Jayco "Optional Electronic Sway Control System" is now being recalled being disconnected.   And with the whole Rpod support system forums community of thousands of people, Forest River Rpod is clearly my choice! I will be ordering one soon. I hope this helps thanks.
Any other input would be welcome. Dan
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 7:28am
As others have chimed in numerous times on this forum, there have been zero issues running propane while driving down the road or filling at the gas station while running the fridge.   I remember the first time trying to cool down the fridge on my deep cycle battery that in less than 5 hours my battery was basically dead, so the battery option is something I never use.  Guess it comes down to personal feelings/choice about this.  We have thoroughly enjoyed our 177 for nearly 6 years now, and yes, those 2 group size 24, 12 volt batteries are still performing quite nicely as we boondock more than having electricity available.  Yes, this is a fantastic forum, with a lot of very knowledgeable people here to help.  My wife likes the facebook side of the RPOD owners group, same goes for that side as well !
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 8:16pm
Welcome.  Not only are there no problems running from propane, it is the only method used by larger rigs.  The biggest reason not to use the 12 volt mode is most TV charge lines are only 12 gauge, so they aren't large enough to supply the fridge.  So you draw down the pod's battery on the road until the fridge begins to warm up.  Then you arrive in camp with a low battery.  If the pod's battery is already low from a weekend of boondocking, the fridge never has a chance.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 8:52pm
Amen to that  Doug !
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
FireMechanic View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 10:01pm
Thanks for the warm welcome!
It sounds like you've already experienced these issues? Lol,
I guess, I just like the 12volt option being available. I understand there is a option on another model of the Dometic that automatically seeks power 12v, a/c or gas. Of course that's after the fact if you're battery packs are depleted.
Having never traveled for extended periods using a 12volt system for refrigerator operations, I don't really know the reality. Thanks for the information. I will no doubt tap into this forums communities experiences again.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 5:08pm
We've had a few discussions on it over the years.   

Keep in mind that if you ran just the fridge from LP one tank would last over a month, so you'll use very little going to/from the campground for a weekend trip. Of course switch to AC mode if you have hookups at the campground. And don't worry about filling up at the gas station with the fridge lit, we've had a few discussions about that, too (vapor recovery systems, narrow flammability range, etc).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Blue Highways View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 9:04pm
The one thing we have to conclude about FR and our 179, is that with an extensive month-long 5000+ mile journey with only one motel, (both boondocking & camping w/ connections) we've had close to 98% reliability of all systems, which we didn't expect. Even the tires have had very little wear over some very rough roads, and the axle & suspension has been stable and smooth. Jayco has to match that quality as well, out in the field.... not saying they can't they've been long in the biz. We hope that our R-pod reliability level is throughout the R-Pod community mostly and it wasn't us just lucking out with a unit built Tues. thru Thursday and not following a long weekend (!)

It's temping to want a wider trailer body version such as Jayco's, which would cover the wheels, (who wouldn't like that possibility of walking around one side of the Queen bed) ....but since we prefer back-in campsites when we can for a bit more privacy in "services" CG's, I really like to see those rear trailer wheels so that I can nestle back just right among the trees & obstacles to benefit leveling, so that the slider can come out just the way I want it to. It's easier to position and roll up on levelling blocks when you can watch the wheel(s) crawl up on them. On the road, in a tight small downtown right turn, with the exposed wheels, I can carefully watch and guide that inside trailer wheel around that radius carefully, as well.

The other "plus" to the narrower FR R-Pod body compared to Jayco's knock-off, is that you do benefit from the body being as wide as a full size truck (but no wider) for visibility of traffic behavior behind you, plus the less wide frontal wind resistance should help out in a headwind such as when we came across southern Wyoming at Interstate speeds. 

Jayco probably does need to plan clear "salesman" advantages to those comparing for their behalf, but I think I am loyal to FR. I do have to add that a partial awning / porch arrangement for R-Pod (without pulling out the complete R-dome when you really don't have that room) is something I would be jealous of on a Jayco offering. Maybe popular demand will bring forth something new for over the entry door of all R-pods, without hurting the R-dome sales ... ?
Blue Highways View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 11:48pm
UPDATE on "something new" ... I just viewed the new awning arriving on the latest cool-blue 2017 R-Pods. Since ours won't take that update, (not reinforced for it) I'll next pay attention to what aftermarket coverings have been adapted by the ever- industrious Pod community out there....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>